For the love of Kernow

Adam   Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:16 pm GMT
Yeah, Cornwall has its own parliament (The Stannary Parliament) but that is only a Parliament for tin miners, and nothing to do with Cornwall being a "nation." And, anyway, Devon also has a Stannary Parliament -

Taken in the most literal sense, Stannary means simply 'something relating to tin'. It is more usually used to refer to a set of historic institutions in Devon and Cornwall in the south west of England which evolved to manage the tin mining industry there.

Devon Stannaries
Devon Stannaries are usually referred to by the names of Stannary Towns. These towns were the locations where refined tin (or white tin) was assessed, coined, and sold. They were also the location for some of the institutions associated with the operation of the stannary.

King Edward I's 1305 Stannary Charter established Tavistock, Ashburton and Chagford as Devon's stannary towns, with a monopoly on all tin mining in Devon, a right to representation in the Stannary Parliament and a right to the jurisdiction of the Stannary Courts. Plympton became the fourth Devon stannary town in 1307.

The Devon Stannary Towns are all on the fringes of Dartmoor, which is the Granite upland which bore the tin. No definition of the boundaries of the Devon Stannaries is known, if indeed one ever existed.

Cornish Stannaries
The four Cornish Stannaries were (from West to East):-

Penwith and Kerrier - Land's End and the Lizard peninsulas
Tywarnhaile - St Agnes & Carn Brea area
Blackmore - the Hensbarrow granite upland, now better known as the China Clay country
Foweymore - the historic name for Bodmin Moor

The geographical juristiction of each Cornish Stannary was more clearly demarcated from each other than was the case in Devon as each represented a separate tin-bearing area, but again, the boundaries were not precisely laid down.

The towns at which coinage was carried out in Cornwall varied over time. The Cornish coinage towns included at various times: Penzance,Truro,Helston,Saint Austell,Bodmin (probably) and Lostwithiel

wikipedia.org
Adam   Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:29 pm GMT
And even if Cornwall DID break-away from England, you'll be doomed.

Why? Because Cornwall has population of around 517,500 bit nearly all of them are NOT native Cornishmen people. Only 6.8% of Cornwall's already small population is actually native Cornish. The rest are mainly English people with a few Scots, Welsh, Irish and others.

Cornwall is also the poorest area within the United Kingdom.

This is what Wikpedia says -

"Cornwall (Cornish: Kernow) is a county on England's south west peninsula that lies to the west of the River Tamar. In the 20th century there has been a revival of the Cornish language and there has been some debate over the constitutional status of Cornwall.

The administrative centre and only city is Truro. Including the Isles of Scilly, located 28 miles (45 km) offshore, Cornwall covers an area of 1,376 square miles (3,563 km²). There is a population of 513,527 with a population density of 144 people per square kilometre (373/mi²) [1]. Tourism forms a significant part of the local economy. However, it is the poorest area in the United Kingdom with the lowest contribution to the national economy."
Guest   Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:08 am GMT
I beg you pardon Adam, but as a french i know Cornwall is not english. You will tell me it is not my business but i don't care: long life to Cornwall!!!!!
Candy   Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:11 am GMT
If Cornwall is not English, then how is Bretagne French??
Guest   Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:37 pm GMT
Long life to Bretagne !!!
Guest Tue Feb 14, 2006   Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:04 pm GMT
Candy: "If Cornwall is not English, then how is Bretagne French?? "

As a french, i don't care about France.
Cornish Nationalist   Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:10 pm GMT
England has no business in Cornwall.
If we were independent we would be BETTER OFF. We contribute more to the Anglo entity's imperial coffers than we receive Business Age Magazine Oct 2001.

We could be an offshore tax haven like Caymans and Bemuda - and there would be jobs for all like the Channel Islands...We would TAKE all their business. We could align ourselves with the United States. European know all elites are hell bent on forcing a confrontation with the US - we could align ourselves with the US and let them establish bases.

The only thing holding us back is Anglo imperialists like you.
Candy   Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:15 pm GMT
<<The only thing holding us back is Anglo imperialists like you. >>

LOL. You're right, I spend all my free time fighting against Cornish independence. When I'm not oppressing all non-Anglophone people, of course. What fun we evil Anglo-Saxons have!
Damian in Scotland   Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:37 pm GMT
Latest report from the great South West England Battle zone...message timed at 13:30hrs GMT 14 February 2006:

Large contingents of the Cornish militia are massing on the western banks of the River Tamar, and a huge military blockade has sealed off the western end of the Tamar Bridge. Weapons have been lined up on the river's edge and a short while ago the first order to fire was given by the military commandants. As we speak a massive fusillade of stale Cornish pasties has darkened the skies as they are being aimed with deadly effect at the English enemy on the eastern side of the Tamar. So far, there has been no response from the English troops, but it's only a matter of time as reinforcements are heading in towards the battle zone from all over Devon and the rest of England armed with equally stale Devon scones and English muffins.
Breton Gwennael   Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:48 pm GMT
Candy: "Candy: "If Cornwall is not English, then how is Bretagne French?? "

If you knew quite well the history of your people, you should know people from Bretagne were based in what is actually called England. Because the anglo-saxons have stolen the place. The "bretons" found a home in France and were of course welcome.

So the real Bretagne is not french but Bretagne, the people who are on actually are the anglo-saxons. Anglo-saxons are as usual thieves. But we all know that of course. The island is not yours but belongs to the Wales, Cornwall, Scotland and Bretagne.
JJM   Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:10 pm GMT
"Anglo-saxons are as usual thieves. But we all know that of course. The island is not yours but belongs to the Wales, Cornwall, Scotland and Bretagne."

Boy, you've certainly got a seriously silly grudge.

I mean, I've heard of people whining about something that happened a couple of centuries ago, but still being in a hissy-fit about the Anglo-Saxons arriving in Britain 1500 years ago is pushing the envelope.

Get a life.
Candy   Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:46 pm GMT
<<Candy: "Candy: "If Cornwall is not English, then how is Bretagne French?? " >>
That. Was. A. Joke. Lighten up, for pity's sake. I couldn't possibly care less what country Bretagne is in.

<<The island is not yours but belongs to the Wales, Cornwall, Scotland and Bretagne. >>
They're welcome to try to take it back! And before you respond to that, I'm not being serious. Or maybe I am. Damian, ready to take up the challenge?? Handbags at dawn? :-)
Also, totally agree with JJM. If you're really bothered about things that happened 1500 years ago, you seriously need to get a life.
Damian heading hame   Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:03 pm GMT
Candy....you cheeky facie wee minx! I'm no into handbags at all but my sporran can sure gowff a fair punch ...and my thistle can tickle guid and richt :-)
Candy   Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:08 pm GMT
OOOHHH!! Tickling competition with thistles! Yay! Can I cheat and use nettles?? :)
Guest   Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:34 pm GMT
The anglo-saxons are known all over the world for being thieves. The question is not about my life but about your culture which is a thief one. What your people stole in 1500, or any other centuries is not important. What is important is to consider the english history facts. Just look at the irish, you stole their country and tried to keep it. It did not work... About northern Ireland, it is just a question of time.

When the Celts will have their independance (Cornwall included), you will be a small country, what you are beginnig to be.

LONG LIFE TO THE CELTS!!