fluency in speaking english

ravi   Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:00 am GMT
i have been learning english for a long time now.i know to write,read,understand english.iam so good i can understand each word of english,any kind of accent.i can even understand rap songs including the slangs but when it comes to speaking,its a different story altogether.i know about word stress and sentence stress but when it comes to speaking the language it does'nt work.i cant follow the rules and there is always an accent that i cant seem to get rid of.i also cant sem to get rid of the fear of speaking or making mistakes.according to this website,mistakes should not be made.i try hard not to make mistakes but eventually i end up making mistakes.i just want to be able to speak english fluently without any slip ups and soun clear.it doesnt ,matter if there is a trace of an accent in my speech,i just want to sound clear.i also have to do something about the fear of making mistakes and speaking.
i want to speak like eddie murphy in shrek as donkey.the fluency,the speed and also the clarity of speech.
any tips for me.
Franco   Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:45 am GMT
Talk to more people. Nuff said. Your english seems pretty good so you may be slow at first but your speaking will soon catch up.
Mxsmanic   Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:11 pm GMT
I wouldn't call Eddie Murphy's diction in _Shrek_ an attractive model.
Guest   Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:49 pm GMT
Donkey's way of speaking is supposed to be comical! Don't try to sound like that in real life.
a   Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm GMT
"Don't try to sound like that in real life."
Ah go on. Please!
ravi   Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:35 am GMT
i agree with you guys that it may take time to really speak like a native speaker but i have been doing it for many years and i still dont see the end in sight.i still fear speaking english with another person.i dont want to embarass myself by speaking with a thick accent.iam frankly fed up.any gusy here have any suggestions.
Leena   Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:43 am GMT
Speaking any language always take time but i notice something in my self that i could master the american accent more than speaking i dont know why?! is this normal to master the accent of the language before speaking it? i suffer ravi from same fears and i tried to destroy this problem but i still get the same troubles.
Mxsmanic   Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:14 am GMT
Some people learn to pronounce very accurately at a very early point in their studies, long before they master other aspects of the language. This is the norm in children, but it is the exception in adults (who tend to master pronunciation last instead of first).
krishnan   Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:26 am GMT
please give tips for me to speak english fluently . how do express my ideas in english with out struggling

mail to above question to kri_shnan2001@yahoo.co.in
Jérémy   Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:12 am GMT
What's your mother tongue ? Just curiosity.

I have the same problem as you. But I guess I just need to try to slow down when I speak. It's not a very long time since I've really started to learn English for real anyway, so I guess it will get better. But for now even if I can write rather well and understand not too badly, I have difficulty speaking English too because it is a stress-time language and French is not, it's quite hard to adapt. Moreover I always want to speak as fast as words come to my mind, which is impossible and that's why I eat my words or spit them out any old how but not the right way. Speaking much more slowly will help me I guess, even if I'll sound like an idiot but with time I'll probably be able to accelerate. It's the same in French anyway, even if it is better of course because it's my mother tongue, but as I speak too fast, I often don't articulate properly.
Linda   Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:43 am GMT
I had the same problems when i just came to England, as i wouldn't speak to anyone and hardly made any friends with anyone... untill I made a friends with someone who i am really close to and understands me she made me come out of my shell, she introduced me to many people and out of nowhere i was just blended in the conversation without me knowing it....then it was when i decided it did not matter anymore who cares if I did not speak fluently English.

i suggest you find a close friend who speaks fluently English and just start a normal conversation.

Even untill this day i still fear sometimes starting a conversation with anyone, but the more you try to conquer you fear the more easier it is going to be trust me on that.

PS: if you are from a foreign country try to be around fluent English speakers.

omg i am exaggerating

sorry for my uncorrect spelling
__ne   Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:48 pm GMT
The only way to get away with this fear is to speak... find good speakers... who won't logh on your mistakes ;-) and go on... so you'll catch up...
you may also use media as a resource.... Movies.. songs... but I guess you have dont that already... so the only way left to be done is offcourse coming into real speaking situation... try making such stuation.....
mistyamy123   Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:26 am GMT
Hi!Ravi,
I would like to say something that A lot of learning also confuses people.That is very good that you are very good in understanding English.But you hav to put your inhibitions aside first.Don,t think too much of Grammar while speaking.Because I think 70% of people doesn't speak correct english.Try to talk as much as possible in english to your friends and people around you.What do you think.
gangadharray   Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:00 pm GMT
i want to speak english fluently.
Hariprasad   Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:45 am GMT
HI,

I am from bangalore, i can understand,what yoou are telling that we can learn the thing by doing practice and doing mistakes. but i dont think that it should not take long time to learn any thing. when i start to speak in english, that time i was very poor in speaking becouse i am from village side guy and i stadied in village only, but i learn lot in inglish speaking as i speaking in english wth others. we should do that.............