Why learn english?

Bubbler   Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:36 pm GMT
English, even in its most simplified form, is English. Don’t delude yourself. Secondly, Cro Magon is completely right. Americans don’t learn alternative languages because we don’t need to. Not only can we travel our entire country, which many seem to forget is quite vast, using only English, we can travel to most parts of the world and be entirely accommodated. After all, the dollar speaks loudest of all. Spending two weeks vacationing in Europe or Asia is not much of an incentive to become serious about learning their languages. That has nothing to do with our educational system. If one chooses to learn another language, he has ample resources. As far as language requirements in schools, it’s usually not required to graduate from high school (even in a private high school such as my own), but in my current university a minimum of four semester hours (or two years) is required.
Bubbler   Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:38 pm GMT
Four semesters, not semester hours. Sorry.
Bubbler   Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:41 pm GMT
Ack, Magnon (not Magon).
Domi O'Brien   Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:36 pm GMT
Each American state has different requirements for a high school diploma. The lowest requirements are in California, where you can earn a high school diploma with only 13 credits. However, if you want to apply to a California state university, you must have earned at least 17 credits, and must have completed higher level courses than the minimum. Selective colleges may require foreign languages, advanced math, and advanced science courses for admission. However, these are NOT required for a general high school diploma or GED in most places in the US, and 2/3 of American colleges will admit anyone with a high school diploma or GED, though they may restrict the programs to which they will admit students with general diplomas. Most US schools at the elementary and secondary level aren't accredited by anyone; most colleges are. Most states do not accredit schools-- they only "approve" or "authorize" or "license" a school to operate. That says nothing about the quality of the education; it generally means the building passes fire and health standards, the teachers aren't convicted felons, and the school offers the minimum state-required subjects fro at least the minimum hours and days state law requires. Acceditation agencies are, for the most part, private; the most prestigious are the regional accreditation agencies (New England Association of Schools and Colleges, etc), with many other private organizations accediting independent schools and colleges, religiously affiliated schools, etc. Your state's department of education will list the minimum requirements for a high school diploma there.
English speaking Damian   Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:54 pm GMT
There is a saying in English which is something on the lines of grapes being sour.....very sour, judging by some posts........ :-)
Damian   Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:19 pm GMT
It's been said in here before but the United States of America is so huge in area it is really an entire world in itself. It contains practically every type of landscape found throughout the planet, except for Arctic tundra and even that can be found within the confines of it's northern neighbour....majestic mountains, prairies, swamplands, verdant New England pastures, forests...you name it, the USA has it. It also contains practically every type of climatic feature as well, and often "in extremis" (as we can sadly see right now in our TV news reports). If anything happens in a Big Way weatherwise it seems to happen Stateside.

With all this contained within it's borders...a world within a single unified country...the vast majority of Americans feel no need to go beyond their borders. Many of their States are larger than some European countries and by all accounts it seems that very many Americans have never even strayed beyond their own State limits. An American with a passport is hard to find. That's no surprise as with practically everything on their (pretty huge!) doorstep why bother to even think of going elsewhere? They have the lot already.

Although English is not the "official" Language of the USA it most certainly is the accepted means of communication for everybody and without a knowledge of English I would not think it's possible to progress in any way socially or economically. That's true for the entire Continental USA, so wherever you go English is the lingua franca.

So if very few Americans stray beyond their national borders there is no need to learn any other Language (disregarding the Spanish situation in some parts of the country).

The result of all this is a very widespread lack of knowledge to varying degrees in many people of anywhere outside the USA.

The lack of Language ability in most British people is again down to the perceived acceptance that English is wideley spoken, or at least understood, outside the UK. To the vast majority of Brits this means the Continent, which is literally just a short hop over a mere puddle and a stream. I know it's regrettable, but that's just how it is, and this attitude was strengthened even furher this past week with official reports showing that the numbers of British people studying ANY foreign Language is declining quite sharply. Fewer people are showing any need to speak a foreign Language.

Sad but it's true. :-(
Geoff_One   Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:44 pm GMT
"No one is an Island", wrote John Donne.
It's been said in here before but the United States of America is so huge in area it is really an entire world in itself.
Approximately 6.15% of the world's land surface area.
Significantly less than this if you include the entire surface
area of the world.
Geoff_One   Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:01 pm GMT
<That's true for the entire Continental USA, so wherever you go English is the lingua franca.>
Continental USA?? The USA is part of the North American continent.
Australia is the only country that has a continent to itself.
Sanja   Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:39 pm GMT
Actually no, New Zealand belongs to Australian continent as well (I know it's separate, but geographically it's still the same continent).
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:51 pm GMT
Perhaps Sub-Continental United States may be more correct...I realise the USA is only part of the North American Contintent. Maybe I was thinking of the 48 States that form the main body of the country, with two more being separately located...one quite a long way to the west/south west of Continental USA! The other one, way up to the NW, may still be considered part of Continental USA although Canada has the gall to cut it off geographically from the main body.
Candy   Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:55 pm GMT
<<although Canada has the gall to cut it off geographically from the main body. >>
Yeah, damn those cheeky Canadians!! ;)
Travis   Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:11 pm GMT
Why not just refer to "English-speaking North America", which does basically include the entirety of North America on the north side of the US-Mexico border, Quebec aside?
Riko   Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:27 pm GMT
Ekko, otko suomalainen?

Learning a language in a high school just means learning enough to get a 65 or a passing grade. Leaving the US is a BIG DEAL, the equivalent of essentially intercontinental travel in a European mindset, and when you say that you are going overseas or leaving hoi polloi in the US are often bemused or bewildered. There is truely a fixation as to why you are travelling overseas, what you are doing. English is the only language in North America (apart from the french speaking lake in quebec) , and most people in this part of the world never leave North America, so there is no need to learn another language, plain and simple. Lets us also remind ourselves that Europe can fit in North America 2 times over and still have room to spare.
Uriel   Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:42 am GMT
Why, Damian, we certainly DO have arctic tundra -- quite a fucking lot of it. We call it "Alaska".

Sander, you know better -- we've discussed this before. Most people in the US do take a language in high school, and also in college. Lots of Americans are also bilingual due to upbringing and circumstance.

When I was in Europe (and Asia), the place was CRAWLING with Americans. And I've met tons of people who've been out of the country.

Riko -- there's this other country in North America -- I think we call it Mexico. And I'm pretty sure they speak Spanish there.

And lastly, eating a couple of cheeseburgers and watching an American movie does not make you Americanized, or somehow less of whatever nationality it is that you are. I've eaten spaghetti, sushi, souvlaki, and schnitzel without living in any kind of panicked terror that I will suddenly morph into an Italian, Japanese, Greek, or German. It's just food. It tastes good, and that's why I eat it.
.........................   Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:14 am GMT
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................