French VS Italian

Sasuke   Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:21 am GMT
Putting aside the usefulness and importance, I think the pronunciation of Italian sounds more beautiful than French, does anybody think so too?
greg   Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:00 am GMT
Voilà un titre tout à fait trolloïde.
Pourquoi « français contre italien » ?
Sasuke, tu aurais pu essayer : « nuit contre jour », « lune contre soleil », « main droite contre main gauche », « père contre mère », « chanson contre poésie », « mer contre montagne », « rire contre sourire » etc.

Mais finalement voilà ce que je te propose : « banalité contre ennui ».
Civis Romanus Sum   Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:35 am GMT
I am italian and think that these things are completely subjective
"Il Bello" is definitely a relative concept
CHINESE   Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:57 am GMT
Hi Sasuke

I like both French and Italian very much, but don't like Spanish pronunciation so much. It's only my subjective opinion.
Candy   Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:09 am GMT
<<Actually ,if you consider that most women prefer French as their first favorite language and Spanish as their second, it kind of says that they think French and Spanish are both more beautiful and aestheically pleasing than Italian. >>

Which women, where? Do you really think that most people only learn languages because they find them 'beautiful'? Personally, I learned French and German because they were compulsory at my school, and I doubt that was because the teachers found the languages 'aesthetically pleasing', but rather because French and German were considered to be the most useful foreign languages for a British person.

Gertrude - LOL!
I agree with greg, anyway, The title of this thread is unnecessarily combative and the topic is so subjective as to be meaningless.
Chinese   Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:20 am GMT
Candy
<<<but rather because French and German were considered to be the most useful foreign languages for a British person.>>>

Yes, indeed, in the range of Europe, German and French are both very useful and important, instead of Spanish.
Candy   Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:35 am GMT
<<All the teachers i have known teached the language because they liked it (culture of people included), i don't see how somebody can teach a language if he does not like it. You must be interested in the language and the culture related to.>>

That *wasn't* my point. My French and German teachers were very interested in the respective languages, and passed their enthusiasm on to me.
What I meant was, we didn't learn French and German *because* the teachers liked the languages, but because the languages were considered to be useful. (My French teacher also loved Russian, but had no chance to teach it at my school, because the school governors or the local education authority didn't deem it necessary).
Mr Vladimir.   Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:10 pm GMT
Soudainement j’ai trouvé cette file tout à fait utile pour mon moi – merci Sasuke - car j’ai appris que je ne connaissais pas du tout le mot « trolloïde ». Je viens de le découvrir. Disons qu’on ne le trouve pas facilement dans les dictionnaires.
Donc je voudrais faire, moi aussi, un petit commentaire trolloïdaire. J’ai lu dans je ne sais plus quel livre, tout à fait respectable, au sujet de la sonorité de la langue française, la chose suivante (je pense qu’il n’y a pas beaucoup d’allemands dans ce forum et que, par conséquent, les dégâts collatéraux en seront minimes) :

Le danois parle en danois avec sa femme, en français avec sa maîtresse et en allemand avec son chien.

Autre chose. On a le droit de ne pas parler toutes les langues et de ne pas connaître toutes les civilisations.

Dear Sasuke !
I don’t know your sex. I mean I don’t know weather you are a girl or a boy? On the other hand, I guess that your native language is Japanese. On the, once more, other hand I must acknowledge that I have no any idea about Japanese names. So you can understand my trouble with you controversy “French against Italian”. Your opinion is heavily dependent upon your sex.

Please, can you specify it for me ?

What is more, I think it would be a good practice to everyone in this forum while submitting opinions about sensible subjects TO SPECIFY HIS/HER SEX.

Excuse me for my strongly incorrect English because I feel that my expressions regarding sex could sound ambiguous. What is the most important is to be understood.
bernard   Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:12 pm GMT
Dogs vs Cats !

quel animal est plus beau, le chien ou le chat ?

trève de plaisanterie, ce type de question n'a pas beaucoup de sens.
Par contre je pense que tournée autrement et mise dans la perspective d'un sondage réalisé sur un panel suffisament imortant on peut tirer quelques informations intéressantes : du genre
"quelle langue trouvez vous plus mélodieuse? Français ou Italien"
"Quel animal préférez-vous, les chats ou les chiens"
mais pas "quelle langue est la plus belle..." ou "quel est le meilleur animal"...
Sasuke   Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:03 am GMT
Mr Vladimir

<<Dear Sasuke !
I don’t know your sex. I mean I don’t know weather you are a girl or a boy?>>

Dear Mr Vladimir

I'm Japanese man, my Name is Sasuke (佐助).
Candy   Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:14 am GMT
<<Candy,

Re: "Personally, I learned French and German because they were compulsory at my school ..."

Give me a break. Foreign languages haven't been compulsory in the American schools now for about 35 years and I don't think they are cumpulsory in English schools either. I was there when the debate was going on and students and educators were demanding that they be dropped. This was around 1970. >>

Showing your ignorance again, Brennus. It's still compulsory in British secondary schools to learn a foreign language to the age of 14. And besides which, you have no idea how old I am and when I went to school. I can assure you that both French and German were compulsory at *my* school, albeit only for 3 years (French) and 2 years (German).
Candy   Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:02 pm GMT
<<Forget about that. The fact is that most Britons are monolingual or in essence monolingual, as are most Americans. This suggests that there has always been widespread resistance to learning foreign languages among the British public and that they don't learn them very well.>>

A majority of British people are indeed monolingual, because they have little chance to speak any other languages, and languages are only compulsory for 3 years at school. But they ARE compulsory - or at least one language is. Check out Ben and Benjamin's posts on the 'Languages at school' for comfirmation. I didn't say that language teaching was efficient. I didn't say that an ability to speak other languages was widespread in the UK. But it's undeniable that a foreign language is compulsory for 3 years at school. If you like, I can provide a link to the British government's department of education to prove this.

<<Also if you know anything about history which I don't recall you did in the last conversation I had with you, the British and Americans have always generally felt that it is unpatriotic to speak any language other than English.>>

The only 'conversation' I recall having with you was the thread about the word 'queue' which I said, correctly, is an everyday word in the UK. 60 million people are perfectly well aware of this fact. You claimed that my saying this showed my 'ignorance' of my country's language and history. I still don't understand why, but I strongly advise you to stop posting on British history, language or culture. You demonstrate your appalling ignorance every time you do so. I've forgotten far more about British history than you will ever know.

BTW, if mjd is reading this, I'm appalled that Brennus is a moderator and yet allowed to insult people.
Sorin   Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:10 am GMT
Brennus >” most women prefer French as their first favorite language and Spanish as their second”
“ a slightly larger number of males would say that Italian is more beautiful sounding to them than French “

That is very true ! Why ? Because in a normal society women like a males, and males like women…

In other words. Women prefer French because French is a sober language and more rhythmic (and spoken by a male, French can sound very masculine and sober) Spanish sounds very macho as well. BUT Italian sounds feminine and BIMBO.

Males like Italian because Italian is a feminine language ( and sounds very romantic and suave spoken by women ). In contrast ITALIAN DOES NOT SOUND MASCULINE AT ALL. As I have said in a different topic- Italian sounds very BIMBO (donna bella ma non intelligente- Bimbo lola).

I honestly like the sound of Italian a lot ! When spoken by a female. It sounds very feminine. Spoken by a male (no offence) Italian sounds “TOO PINK” and quite …well, never mind.

This is not a hypothesis, it was confirmed by studying the euphony of many languages and the psychological receptivity of females. Females tend to like strong and sober sounds, while males tend to like feminine and suave sounds. It's normal we like the opposites.
Aldo   Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:55 am GMT
--Males like Italian because Italian is a feminine language ( and sounds very romantic and suave spoken by women ). In contrast ITALIAN DOES NOT SOUND MASCULINE AT ALL. As I have said in a different topic- Italian sounds very BIMBO (donna bella ma non intelligente- Bimbo lola).---

I wrote;

"That is your opinion, american girls etc. Love Italian men, despite their "musical tone" language. I guess you just have a grudge on the Italian language, despite that it's perhaps the first or second closest to Classical latin's pronunciation, so that would be the Romans had a similar tone and yet lived a lavish yet bloody life."

Please, enough; with your ignorance.

To my knowledge "castillian" spanish is rather the "son" of Latin. And Italian is the "daughter" of Latin. French is rather a cousin of Latin. Romanian...well, frankly let's not go there...shall we? Haha
Luis Zalot   Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:20 am GMT
Aldo wrote;

"To my knowledge "castillian" spanish is rather the "son" of Latin. And Italian is the "daughter" of Latin. French is rather a cousin of Latin."

True.

Romanian could be considered a "twin" of Italian? (in phonolgy) So in reality "Sorin" Romanian would sound feminine, and ROMANIAN wouldn't sound all masculine at all, at least in some cases. Respectively."

Sorin; wrote--->>>

"I honestly like the sound of Italian a lot ! When spoken by a female. It sounds very feminine. Spoken by a male (no offence) Italian sounds “TOO PINK” and quite …well, never mind."

The same would "apply" to Romanian.

I guess you forgot to mentioned that too. Yeah, who's foolish now?