Argentinian and Mexican terms!

Larissa   Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:02 pm GMT
Hey,
I love the Latin American soap operas (telenovelas) but especially the Argentinian and Mexican telenovelas, so I'm very interested in terms, phrases, grammar rules etc. used in Argentina and Mexico. Could you quote all the differences you know between Argentinian/Mexican Spanish and Castilian Spanish, please?
Thank you very much!
JR   Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:49 pm GMT
Besides local "accents", the only two differences I could point out between Mexican and Argentinan spanish is the use of the words "Vos" and "Sos" in Argentina. Vos is the equivalent of "Usted" in Argentina, although its conjugation seems to be that of "Tu". (Tu corres = Vos corres). Sos is used in Argentina as a substitute for the word "eres" in Mexico, although I'm not sure of the conjugation of this word.

Castillian Spanish is not very different from the Latin American version, the most notable difference between the spanish spoken in Mexico and that spoken in Spain, is the use of the word "Vos", and even in Spain it is not commonly used in everyday speech. In Mexico, not even the dead use Vos. In Argentina the word "Vos" is used, but simply as a substitute for "Tu" (You). In Castillian Spanish the word "Vos" would be the equivalent of "Thou" if it still was in use, it has a different conjugation than the way Vos is used in Argentina.

[Sp]Tu corres = [Sp]Vos corréis
as compared to
[Ar]Tu corres = [Ar]Vos corres

I'm pretty sure that the information above is correct, but its been a long time so I could be wrong. Hope this helps
Larissa   Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:59 pm GMT
Thanks JR
Could you quote the vocabulary differences between Argentinian/Mexican Spanish and Castillian Spanish?
Thank you so much
Luis Zalot   Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:52 pm GMT
Castilian spanish, Mexican spanish & Argentinian spanish all have the
same vocabulary. Just some terms are different for others.

Argentinian spanish-->>>
"ciao" (subsitute) for "adios"
palta
auto (automovil)
porotos (frijoles)
estancia (hacienda)
frigorifico (nevera)
guagua (nina pequena)
hola (para contestar el telefono)
pileta (piscina)
malla (traje de bano)

Mexican Spanish---->>>
camion (autobus, both equally used)
chaparrito (bajo, -to be short or small)
charola (bandeja)
ranchero (campesino, both equally used)
recamara,alcoba, habitacion & cuarto (dormitorio) all used
sanwiche (emparedado)
Frijoles with accent (frijoles)
platicar (hablar, both equally used)
rancho (hacienda, both equally used)
blanquillo (huevo, although huevo is used more.)
Padrisimo (muy bueno, both equally used. Also "fenomenal" too.)
heladera (nevera, both equally used...also refrigerador too.)
chamaca (nina pequena, both equally used)
Popote (pajita)
Bueno,alo,hola & (si) diga (para conestar el telefono)
Alberca (piscina, both equally used)
Guero (rubio, both equally used)

Castilian spanish
Moqueta (alfombra, both used.)
departamente & piso (apartamento)
coche (automovil)
bano (aseo,inodoro & vater all used)
solo tinto (cafe negro)
Gambas (camarones, both used "camaron means another type of shrimp)
saco & cazadora (chaqueta, used too)
bocadillo (emperadado)
aparcar (estacionar)
Judias,alubias & habas (frijoles, all used)
pastas (galleticas)
Zumo (jugo, is used too for another type of juice.)
la carta & la lista (el menu, all used)
Fenomenal (muy bueno)
Patata (papa, english; "POTATO"
(si) diga (para contestar el telefono)
pastas (tallarines & fideos, all used)
chandal (sudadera)
un tinto (vino tinto)

I hope this has enlighten the subject and yourself about: "Castilian,Mexican & Argentinian Spanish."
dinis   Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:35 pm GMT
Vosotros not Vos is used in Modern Peninsular Spanish with the corresponding enclitic (prepositioned objective personal pronoun) form, Os.
It is used in combination with its historical conjugations for the second person pural.
The word VOS started out in Latin as a plural form but very early, in the late imperial period, began to be used as a singular form of address for the emperor since he was the very personalization of the empire (pluralis majestatis). Without losing its original plural meaning, it became slowly universalised as a formal second person singular just as it perdures in its French reflex Vous when used in that lanuage as a singular.
Where it suvives as Vos in the Americas (the Rio Plate and parts of Central America), it is used as an INFORMAL 2ND PERS. SINGULAR. Within these same regions, VOS combines, within some tenses, with a mutated ( monophthongized) verbal person marker e.g. AMAIS > AMA'S and has lost the final D of the imperative e.g. VENID > VENI'. However, in most tenses, it combines with the 2nd PERS. SING. (TU) forms here in the Americas. Similarly, the corresponding enclitic for VOS is not the historic OS but TE here in the New World.
In Spain the subject (nominative) form of VOS has compounded with the pronoun OTROS to reinforce its original plural meaning and is used with the whole panopoly of proper historical 2nd person plural verb forms. This reflects a certain conservative linguistic bias on the part of the Motherland which I, for one, find quite admirable!
The peninsular VOSOTROS has developed an informal social register which is a trait it does not exhibit in Classical Latin nor in its French reflex, VOUS, when VOUS is used as a plural form. It is unmarked for social register in both of those tongues.
dinis   Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:37 pm GMT
Vosotros not Vos is used in Modern Peninsular Spanish with the corresponding enclitic (prepositioned objective personal pronoun) form, Os.
It is used in combination with its historical conjugations for the second person pural.
The word VOS started out in Latin as a plural form but very early, in the late imperial period, began to be used as a singular form of address for the emperor since he was the very personalization of the empire (pluralis majestatis). Without losing its original plural meaning, it became slowly universalised as a formal second person singular just as it perdures in its French reflex Vous when used in that lanuage as a singular.
Where it suvives as Vos in the Americas (the Rio Plate and parts of Central America), it is used as an INFORMAL 2ND PERS. SINGULAR. Within these same regions, VOS combines, within some tenses, with a mutated ( monophthongized) verbal person marker e.g. AMAIS > AMA'S and has lost the final D of the imperative e.g. VENID > VENI'. However, in most tenses, it combines with the 2nd PERS. SING. (TU) forms here in the Americas. Similarly, the corresponding enclitic for VOS is not the historic OS but TE here in the New World.
In Spain the subject (nominative) form of VOS has compounded with the pronoun OTROS to reinforce its original plural meaning and is used with the whole panopoly of proper historical 2nd person plural verb forms. This reflects a certain conservative linguistic bias on the part of the Motherland which I, for one, find quite admirable!
The peninsular VOSOTROS has developed an informal social register which is a trait it does not exhibit in Classical Latin nor in its French reflex, VOUS, when VOUS is used as a plural form. It is unmarked for social register in both of those tongues.
Luis Zalot   Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:05 am GMT
The differences between; Castilian,Argentinian,Mexican & Classical latin.
In verb conjunctioning "you,you others & we others"
Also with; "thou,ye & ye others."

Castilian spanish-

Tu corres (informal, singular "thou run")

Usted corre (formal,singular "you run")

Ustedes corren (formal, plural "you others run")

Vosotros corréis (informal, plural "ye others run")

Nosotros corremos ("we others run")

Argentinian spanish--

vos corrés (informal,singular "ye runeth")

usted corre (formal,singular "you run")

ustedes corren (formal, plural "you others run")

nosotros corremos ("we others run")

Mexican Spanish-

Tu corres (informal, singular "thou runeth")

Usted corre (formal, singular "you run")

Ustedes corren (formal, plural "you others run")

Nosotros corremos ("we others run")

Classical Latin-

Tu curres (informal, singular "thou runeth")

Vos curret (formal, singular "ye runeth")

II current (formal, plural "you others run")

Vobis curretis (formal, plural "ye others runeth")

Nobis curremus (we others run)
Luis Zalot   Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:44 am GMT
Italian

Tu corri (informal, singular "thou runeth")

lei corre (formal, singular "you run")

loro correno (formal, plural "you guys run")

voi correte (informal, plural "ye others runeth")

noi corriamo ("we others run"

Late vulgar latin-

tu corres (informal, singular "thou runeth")

vos corre (formal, singualr "you run")

?????? corren (formal, plural "you others run")

vobi corretis (informal, plural "ye others runeth")

nobi corremus (we others run)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note;

tu (remained the same in "spanish,italian,classical-latin,vulgar-latin etc.) except "argentinian" which they prefer "vos" the formal.

vos (remained in only in classical & vulgar latin) FORMAL; and in argentinian it remained as "informal." Although Italian uses "voi" as well as french "vous" (informal?)

ii (rendered, only in classical latin)

Vobis(c.l)-vobi (v.l)-voi (It)

Vobis (c.l)-vobis (v.l)-vos+outros (old. sp) vosotros (modern castilian)

Nobis-nobi-noi (c.l,v.l & it)

Nobis-nobi-nos+outros-nosotros (c.l,v.l,old. sp & modern castilian)

Vostra mercede-vuestra merced-vuested-usted (C.l,V.l,old sp. & modern spanish)

Vostram-vostra-vuestra (C.l,V.l and It & Sp)

loro?????
Luis Zalot   Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:08 am GMT
F.Y.I

Alter,altro,autro,outro,otro (C.l,V.L & It, Medievil-latin,Old spanish & Modern Spanish)

currere-correre-correr (C.L & V.L, It and Sp) Although, spanish "future" tense; "correré."

words perserved in Spanish;
alterabilidad-- (feminine changeability)
alterable-- (alterable)
alteración-- (feminine alteration; (deterioro) change for the worse, upset, disturbance.)
alterar-- (alter, change; medicine etc. change for the worse, upset.)
alternación-- (feminine alternation, rotation; (entre sí) interchange.)
alternar--- (transitive verb alternate (con with); interchange; vary; intransitive verb alternate.)
alternativa/o--- (feminine (trabajo) shift work; (elección) alternative, choice.)
alterno/a--- (alternate; alternating)

words perserved in Italian;
alterare----- (alter)
alterazione--- (feminine alteration)
alternare--- (alternarsi alternate)
alternativa/o--- (feminine alternative)
alternato--- (alternate; corrente alternata alternating current.)
alterno---- (a giorni plural alterni on alternate days)
Bubba   Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:34 am GMT
Just a thought...if "Vos" is the equivalent of "thou" in English, then it's really the equivalent of "tu" in Spanish. "Tu" basically corresponds to "thou"--both the familiar second person singular pronouns of their respective languages, Spanish and English.
Aldo   Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:40 am GMT
Well done, Luis.

I can see that Spanish has perserved much of Classical-Latin in various aspects; and sometimes "Spanish" perserves words or phrases in Classical Latin either-equivalent- or -semi-equivalent- to C.l (in phonology spanish is "almost" equivalent to Classical-latin.)

Here; have a look on what I'm refering to;

"Nihil Sine Labore" Classical-latin
Nada Sin Labor (spanish)
Niente Senza Lavoro (italian)
Nothing without work (English)

Veni, Vidi, Dormivi Classical latin
Vine,Vi,Dormi-(Spanish)
I came, I saw, I slept.. (Engish)

Corripe Cervisiam...Classical latin
Aproveche la cerveza (spanish)
Seize the beer! (english)

Ante bellum- Classical latin
Antes la guerra (spanish)
Before the war (english)

Terra firma- classical latin
Tierra firme (spanish)
Solid ground (english)

Veni, vidi, vici -Classical latin
Vine,vi,venci (spanish)
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Veritas Lux Mea-classical latin
La luz es mi verdad (spanish)
The truth is my light (english)

Odi et amo-classical latin
yo odiaba y amo (spanish)
I hated and I love (english)

amor et odi-classical latin
amor y odio (spanish)
love and hate (english)

Novus Ordo Seclorum-classical latin
Nuevo orden secular/laico (spanish)
New secular order (english)

Rara avis-classical latin
Un ave raro (spanish)
A rare bird (english)

Quid Novi-classical latin
Que es nuevo? (spanish)
What's New? (english)

Te Amo-classical latin
Te amo (spanish)
I love you (english)

That's all, for further phrases go here

http://www.rktekt.com/ck/LatSayings.php
*CarloS*   Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:42 am GMT
Once again, we get all sorts of posts, some hilarious, others simply stupid.

First of all, I must say that as a native Spanish speaker I cannot tell the difference between the Uruguayan accent and the Argentinian one.

As mentioned by others before, probably the major difference between Mexican Spanish and Argentinian Spanish is the use of the word "vos". However, for me it's not a big deal, the meaning of "vos" just varies according to the context.

Some uses:
Vos -> Usted (It would normally replace this word.)
Vos -> Tu (It may also replace this word as well.)

Some use I also noticed lately is:
Con vos -> Contigo (Notice this one carefully, because I'm not sure if Argentinians or Uruguayans use "contigo". Also, Brazilians say "con voce" I think, which is quite similar.)

I'm not sure if "vos" can be used in other ways, but you shouldn't be surprised if it can.

Argentinians and Uruguayans may be aware that they have a very strong accent, or maybe think that we (the rest of South Americans) have strong accents.

Many words (and their use) have been explained by Luis Zalot before, but here are some others:

sos (Arg) -> eres (Rest) -> you're (Eng)

mina (Arg) -> ¿chica? (Rest) -> "chick" (Eng) - INFORMAL

che (Arg) -> I don't think we have a standard word for this in the rest of Latin America -> dude? (Eng)

piba/pibe (Arg) -> niña/niño (Words used here...) -> girl/boy (Eng)

remera (Arg) -> polo (That's how we call here...) -> t-shirt (Eng)

pollera (Arg) -> falda (Rest) -> skirt (Eng) - In my country, if you say "pollera", people will think you're talking about the Andean skirt, used by natives.

I would go on, but I just found there's an "Diccionario Argentino para Mexicanos" website! And, if you have any more doubts, there's also the "Glosario de Argentinismos" website.

Of course, to end this vocabulary difference part, I must point out that both dialects have their own weird words, from Mexican "aguacate" (called "palta" here) to Argentinian "mandioca" (called "yuca" here).

Then we have the intonation!

¿Qué pensás vos? (Arg) -> ¿Qué piensas tu? (Rest)
Vení para acá (Arg) -> Ven para acá. (Rest)

These are just some examples, the dialect is much more complex.

To end this, I must also mention that Argentinians and Uruguayans pronounce the "y" and the "ll" as you would pronounce "sh" in English, on the other hand, the rest of us pronounce it as Anglophones would pronounce "j".
Aldo   Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:19 am GMT
*CarloS*

"Once again, we get all sorts of posts, some hilarious, others simply stupid."

Where are you getting at with this accusation? Luis and I have contributed validated material, recognize by the R.A.E.

If your excluding us, then ignore this.
Luis Zalot   Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:24 am GMT
Hi, Brennus.

Bronco means: "superficie" rough, unpolished; "metal" brittle; "voz" gruff, harsh & Méx. Dicho de un caballo: Sin domar. Bronco could be used in Argentina.

Potro means in "argentinian spanish; "hombre guapo."

Mustengo, I'd never heard of it. (probably or via "mustang.")

Caballo selvaje or salvaje is formal and is understood by all, the "general word" in spanish.

Though, vulgar argentinian would probably say "sos/es un caballo boludo!" that would translate in Mexican spanish as; "eres/es un caballo pendejo!"

or

"eres un caballo muy bravo/bravio (mex) "che es un caballo muy bravio" (argentina)

About the spanish word "kite" all spanish-speaking people would understand "cometa" or just by pointing at it, 50/50 odds

papalote (mexico)
barilete (barrilete) (argentina y guatemala)
volantin (chile)
Aquilone, Cervo Volante or Cometa (italian)
papagayo or pavana (Nicaragua)
Papagaio (portugal)
papelote (honduras)
piscucha (el salvador y nicaragua)
cometa (colombia, cuba, ecuador, panamá, perú y uruguay & spain) though mexico too.

I suggest you go here, for further information on this.

http://www.elportaldemexico.com/diccionario/expresionesargentinasparamex.htm (argentinian)

and vice versa,

http://www.elportaldemexico.com/diccionario/expresionesmexicanas.htm (Mexican)
Larissa   Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:57 pm GMT
"In my country" Thanks for your post but where are you from?