The state of British English

Uriel   Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:34 am GMT
Gnashing your teeth again, Candy?

Different forum, different game -- loic is inciting us all to hang our laundry outside in the hopes of inducing a good downpour. Something about Australians, I think ... I can't follow it!
Candy   Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:59 am GMT
yes...everybody please do a rain dance for London.....the England cricket team needs you!!!
Damian in the rain   Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:53 am GMT
**please do a rain dance for London**

Looks like it worked! It worked! London has been deluged with H20...just one problem......it worked for Edinburgh as well! Couldn't you guys have localised it a wee bit?

Aye...it's not the English accent that has a soporific effect.....it deffo is the cricket - the perfect anaesthetic..especially for Scots. :-) Good laugh on BBC Radio 5 Live just a few secs ago - extracting the urine from cricket enthusiasts....a spoof dialogue between two journalists....one American the other French - each trying to explain the game of cricket to the other...hilarious, especially about bowling a googly. The French guy kept on calling it a goolie. In English slang a goolie is a part of the frontal male anatomy....mega sensitive if it gets a full on whack from a googly.

Dictionary definition of a googly: "An off break bowled with a leg break action". OK? Is that clear enough? How about silly mid on and silly mid off and caught in the slips after bowling a maiden over? Nothing worse than being out for a duck.

Give me Rugby any time..fast action, fast moving....and what about those scrums? Yummy scrummy.....
Sander   Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:59 am GMT
It's been raining here for 2 days ... I think I went to the toilet 10 times today :-)
Guest   Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:05 am GMT
"Give me Rugby any time..fast action, fast moving....and what about those scrums? Yummy scrummy..... "

http://www.ucdsb.on.ca/gss/Women's%20Rugby%20june%202002/Break%20from%20scrum.jpg
Candy   Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:11 am GMT
My rain dance was MUCH too effective....it's pouring down in Düsseldorf too.....:( Still, quite welcome after the stifling humidity yesterday.
Ah, Damian, I see you don't appreciate the finer points of cricket....marvellous game! :-)
Damian honorary Englishma   Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:15 pm GMT
CANDY: ok...it's a "marvellous game".....it must be as you've reclaimed The Ashes! Although it hurts me to say this ......well, maybe just a wee bit......:-) ....... congratulations to England on your victory!
"And did those feet in ancient times....walk upon England's mountains green....And was the holy lamb of God...on England's pleasant pastures seen?"

See...no hard feelings at all! I shall try and appreciate the "finer points of the game.....not easy for Scots. Have you ANY idea just why England chose Jerusalem as a call to victory? The stirring words I reckon. It seemed to be sung constantly during the impressive victory parade through London today.

Freddie Flintoff.......WOW!
Candy   Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:24 pm GMT
Many thanks, Damian! :-) Nice to hear!
I've been trying to celebrate today, but it's difficult when nobody in Germany has a clue about cricket (they always think I mean croquet, for some reason) I've also no idea about 'Jerusalem', but I sing it as loudly and lustily as possible! ;)

I don't know....first the Rugby World Cup, now the Ashes.....whatever next?? The football World Cup??

YEAH, RIGHT!!!!! (got to qualify first!) ;(
Damian   Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:21 pm GMT
Yeah....qualify!...that's more than we do.......and good luck from your fiends (sorry...friends) North of the Border! The sporting world's your oyster, guys! Flintoff was yelling out that he was glad his sword shall not sleep in his hand alongside his bow of burning gold...I wonder where he keeps his arrows of desire...

I saw Freddie on the TV news.....he'd been on the pop well and proper.....he couldnae walk straight ... guess he's entitled.... :-)

I'm off out for some chilling......see ye soonest!
Dixie gal   Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:08 pm GMT
Englishmen, plese get me those Franch fries.
Supersize me :)
RollsRoyceColourformeChum   Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:38 pm GMT
The British version of English is the orignal and although modified heavily and in many dialects as has over years and years its that version I find to be the best and most elegant. A contrasting view of American English and US English can be seen in a Hollywood film made starring Hugh Grant and Gene Hackman called "Extreme Measures", where Hugh plays a doctor. In one scene Hugh grant is confronted with some deceptive characters and its funny to watch essentially all the characters besides Hugh which are for the most part US, speak so blandly and as noted before in the way the American English has been developed and then Hugh responds to them with very detailed and concise usage. He says something like "Your more sinister than I take it you show yourself as"... something like that and lines like that continue throughout the movie. It is really contrasting, if a US actor was there and it was geared that way the US actor might say something like "You sneaky f---". It is not just acting here because that is how the British English is spoken - it seems to be more descriptive and longer, but thus very informative as opposed to simple sayings. I have to agree on Adam with his views on the British English.

Its like the original is the authentic -

People here in the US are freaking out by the new Chrysler300C car...

One reason is its "they say" amazing look and it resembles a scaled down Bentley at much less the cost. Though this should never be compared to a Bentley, a Bentley and other English products are the real thing! Handcrafted! Made in England, not some imitation!

But alas I digress...
RollsRoyceColourformeChum   Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:52 pm GMT
From the review - "Grant plays the charming, put-upon Englishman to perfection, while Gene Hackman and Sarah Jessica Parker provide strong supporting roles. An intelligent examination of the contemporary dilemmas in medical ethics, the film concludes with an ending that will challenge viewers"

Even they know it...
RollsRoyceColourformeChum   Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:56 pm GMT
Elizibeth Hurley and Micheal Apted were involved with this film also, - a total British production... Perhaps they wanted the contrast to be evident?

Interesting...
Uriel   Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:53 am GMT
Dude, it's a movie. Don't read too much into it.
JJM   Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:02 pm GMT
"The British version of English is the orignal [sic]."

Sorry, wrong. BE and AE are not mother and child, they are twin children of the same mother.

Consequently, BE has no superior claim to the language over AE.