The state of British English

RollsRoyceColourformeChum   Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:55 pm GMT
Yes, I like that idea better, very interesting... Twin Children, that makes much more sense. Where did the mother come from then? From the Roman and Germanic peoples or Latin?

Also regarding movies, I find many times they mimic reality and that film in its conveying the characters is not much different in the way I have seen British and US people interact with each other...

Where do the filmakers get their ideas...sometimes their imagination... sometimes inspired by life experience or environments...

"I believe it is Tea time now, so I shall have some Twinnings Blackcurrant. Did you bring the crisps?"

...RollsRoyceColourformeChum says...
JJM   Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:18 pm GMT
"Yes, I like that idea better, very interesting... Twin Children, that makes much more sense. Where did the mother come from then? From the Roman and Germanic peoples or Latin?"

The mother was whatever the English language was at the time it was taken over to North America.

That English speakers also remained in Britain does not give them any senior claim to the language. The modern English speaker is linguistically no closer to his 17th Century ancestor than his American cousin.

Indeed, it is often the case that the transplanted dialect(s) maintain lingusitic features which have become archaic in the non-transplanted dialect(s).
RollsRoyceColourformeChum   Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:52 pm GMT
"The modern English speaker is linguistically no closer to his 17th Century ancestor than his American cousin."

Even those who use Recieved Pronunciation? I have read in some places that is even itself falling out of place, but this from the South, I find to be very nice in tone and conotation. I like to use films as examples as I am in the States, so I cannot see the differences daily, but in some films, actually sponsered by the UK Film Council, characters use the cockney or different dialect, and some use the very prestigious sounding RP.

I'm gonna throw another film in here, Titanic (1997) the Duchess spoke what I believe was RP, while a steward in 2nd class had a distinctive non RP(i don't know what you call that) he was yelling in the scene at Leo and Kate "You can't go through here, your gonna have to pay for that!" before they punched him. That is distinctively different than the Duchess usage. It is facisnating to see that different levels of society actually spoke differently.

In the US, naturally, I see no use of either forms, but many times businesses like to have an English speaker as the voice-messaging system announcer, just because they like the way it sounds.

I mean if your not there in England, how do you see different examples? Audiobooks, Films, Telly?

"I find roundabout to be a more accurate description of a traffic circle, as I also find windscreen to be more interesting, as I find motor over auto, to be more concise."

RollsRoyceColourformeChum...is confused...
RollsRoyceColourformeChum   Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:23 pm GMT
Correction - they didn't punch him - that was another scene.
Damian   Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:42 am GMT
Texting is now the most popular means of communication so it's getting common practice to use textspeak in exam papers.

its got 2b tuff on exmnrs not famlr wiv txtspk wen thy cum to mrk pprs. Trick is 2 jst find rite vwls. 4 sum mayb its 2 l8.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/09/17/nspel17.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/09/17/ixhome.html
carla 4 dave   Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:40 am GMT
What language do they speak in tristan da cunha
Liz   Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:52 pm GMT
<<Sorry, wrong. BE and AE are not mother and child, they are twin children of the same mother.

Consequently, BE has no superior claim to the language over AE.>>

Totally agreed! However, not exactly twins but siblings, anyway.