French one of the most touched languages by English?!

greg   Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:49 pm GMT
Quelques pistes.

Les Outre-manchais francophones n'ont jamais cherché à éradiquer l'anglais. Ni à le parler d'ailleurs. Ce n'est qu'après la perte de la Normandie (1204) que le moyen-anglais a initié de timides incursions dans le cercle du pouvoir.

Les 3/4 des mots utilisés en veil-anglais ont disparu. Les 2/3 du vocabulaire anglais sont soit français, soit latins, soit grecs.

L'influence du français sur le moyen-anglais écrit a été profonde puisque ce dernier a pratiquement cessé d'être utilisé pendant 300 ans et qu'il a ressurgi sous une forme francisée.

Il est normal que l'impact du vieux-norrois sur le veil-anglais de tous les jours ait été plus important que celui du français : les 2 langues germaniques étaient celles du peuple, pas celles de l'élite (les élites anglo-saxonnes ayant été dépossédées, chassées ou décimées).

La latinisation (par opposition à la francisation) du moyen-anglais est un sous-produit de l'influence francophone.
nico   Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:42 pm GMT
Décidément on aime raconter beaucoup de conneries ici, à éviter quand on ignore le sujet...

Il n'existe pas de terme comme lettre elctronique mais le "mel".

Secundo, je ne vois quel problème cela pose que nous utilisions ou non "le" "la" avec des temres anglo-saxons.

Ce qui me réjouis quelque part c'est que nous soyions considérés encore comme le village gaulois des fous.

Je ne suis pas patriotique, pas du tout. Mais je pense que la France dans son ensemble vous emmerde !
Sander   Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:57 pm GMT
Eh Nico,I just had the whole draging and exhausting discussion about other languages than English on an English forum and on an English topic,please write in English or provide a translation.
Adam   Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:35 pm GMT
"So? All the words of both the Rom. and the Germ. language tree are Indo-European of origin can you read those as well?!Besides you said something that doesn't relate to the sentence you quoted,it seems you're trying to say that you can read 80% of AngloSaxon...if so please tell me what does it say? "

Nearly all of the 100 most commonly used English words are Anglo-Saxon in origin, not French or Romance.
Adam   Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:36 pm GMT
You expect Greg and Nico to write in English? They are French! They wouldn't write in any other language if their lives depended on it.
Adam   Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:41 pm GMT
"Les Outre-manchais francophones n'ont jamais cherché à éradiquer l'anglais. Ni à le parler d'ailleurs. Ce n'est qu'après la perte de la Normandie (1204) que le moyen-anglais a initié de timides incursions dans le cercle du pouvoir.

Les 3/4 des mots utilisés en veil-anglais ont disparu. Les 2/3 du vocabulaire anglais sont soit français, soit latins, soit grecs. "

I'll try and translate this into proper language.

"The other French-speaking English Channels have never wanted to eradicate English. It's just that after being invaded by Normandy, the little Englanders have initiated shy incursions in the "can-do" circle.

Three-quarters of the words used a sheep English that has disappeared. Two-thirds of the English vocabulary is French, Latin and Greek."
Sander   Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:00 pm GMT
Oh wait a minute...

Something Adamn said a while ago:

=>This thread is pathetic. Sander just loves winding people up. <=

And something he said minutes ago:

=>I'll try and translate this into proper language<=

------Part 2-------

=>You expect Greg and Nico to write in English? They are French! They wouldn't write in any other language if their lives depended on it. <=

Kop dicht.

Greg is not writing in English because he's making a statement,Nico isn't besided my French isn't optimal enough to understand him,if he want's to be understood he will have to write in English or at least provide a translation.

And about this forum,what are you doing here Adamn?
Kirk   Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:02 pm GMT
Travis makes a good point. It doesn't matter how many words there technically are in the dictionary of non-English origin in terms of how people actually speak...and when people actually speak, the percentage of Germanic words is quite high. Here's an entirely plausible dialog I wrote a while ago that's in everyday English of words of completely Germanic origin:

--"Hey, Mom, did you forget to put the milk out for the cat yesterday?"

--"Um...lemme think...oh yeah, oops...I was so busy all yesterday getting everything clean for the guests that I didn't even think about the cat. I hope he didn't get too hungry"

--"Well, it's alright--he was whining all last night so I kinda guessed he needed to eat, so I gave him his old cat food from the bag in the shed, since I think we're outta milk."

--"But how'd you get in without the key?...Or did you find it?"

--"Yeah, it was on top of the bookshelf in the living room."

--"Well that's good we got it back. And you didn't step on any of the rakes in the shed this time?"

--"No."

These kind of exchanges go on all the time with native English speakers, with a low rate of loanwords or maybe even none at all. Of course I'm not trying to deemphasize the great role French and Latin have had as lexical sources to English over the years, but I'm simply trying to point out that adding up words in a dictionary doesn't amount to much in terms of real life.

Also, the incidence rate of Germanic vs. Non-Germanic words in English has nothing to do with the fact that English is a undeniably a Germanic language. With all the lexical items from non-English sources English has picked up over the years, English grammar has almost completely been untouched by the grammatical features of the non-Germanic loan-languages. A similar situation may be found in Korean, which is absolutely not related whatsoever to Chinese, but over the millennia has acquired roughly 50-60% of its vocabulary from Chinese. That still doesn't change the fact that Korean is nowhere close to being related to Chinese and is not a Sino-Tibetan language. Korean's grammar is remarkably different from Chinese grammar on many deep levels despite millennia of borrowing words. The only place this comparison doesn't match up perfectly with English and French/Korean and Chinese is that English and French (and Dutch and Farsi and Hindi for that matter) are distantly related as Indo-European languages while Korean and Chinese aren't even distantly related, but you get my point.
Adam   Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:03 pm GMT
Everytime I come here to post, you always annoy me? Do you just to be my rival or something? Everytime I post, no matter what it is, you always have to give some cocky remark, even if I post something intelligent.

Are all people like that in your little country? If they are, I'm never going there.
Sander   Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:08 pm GMT
=>Everytime I come here to post, you always annoy me? Do you just to be my rival or something? Everytime I post, no matter what it is, you always have to give some cocky remark, even if I post something intelligent.<=

You annoy me everytime you copy and paste post here.No matter what you post it's always offensive,stupid or wrong.

=>Are all people like that in your little country? If they are, I'm never going there. <=

Who said you were invited?
Sigma   Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:20 pm GMT
Es increible ver como nos hemos trabado todos y cada uno de nosotros en discusiones violentas e interminables como yo vs el gringo, sander vs bernard, adam vs sander, después de que antimoon estuvo de lo mas aburrido por semanas, ahora parece que una acalorada discusión surge minuto a minuto. Poco a poco nos hemos ido alejando del propósito original del foro. Todo por que todos y cada uno de nosotros somes demasiado intolerantes como para respetar las ideas y los pensamientos de los demás, pero como dice un dicho: "a violencia responde a la violencia". Y si esto sigue así no se a donde va a ir a parar antimoon.
Kirk   Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:28 pm GMT
<<Es increible ver como nos hemos trabado todos y cada uno de nosotros en discusiones violentas e interminables como yo vs el gringo, sander vs bernard, adam vs sander, después de que antimoon estuvo de lo mas aburrido por semanas, ahora parece que una acalorada discusión surge minuto a minuto. Poco a poco nos hemos ido alejando del propósito original del foro. Todo por que todos y cada uno de nosotros somes demasiado intolerantes como para respetar las ideas y los pensamientos de los demás, pero como dice un dicho: "a violencia responde a la violencia". Y si esto sigue así no se a donde va a ir a parar antimoon.>>

Por eso frecuento otros foros que tienen discusiones más civiles y razonables. Todavía existen las discusiones animadas y dinámicas, claro, pero no tienen este tipo de discusiones violentas y ridículas que se encuentran por todas partes aquí.
Rick Johnson   Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:38 pm GMT
I think the English speaking world should see French as a threat rather than the other way around, take for example these everyday words and phrases used by English speakers:

à la carte, apéritif, art déco, au naturel, au pair, avant-garde, cafe, carte blanche, coup de grâce, coup d'etat, critique, cuisine, cul-de-sac, debut, déjà vu, de rigueur, eau de toilette, en masse, en route, en suite, fait accompli, faux pas, femme fatale, fiancé, finale, force majeure, genre, haute couture, hors d'oeuvre, laissez-faire, matinée, nom de plume, nouveau riche, papier mâché, par excellence, petite, pièce de résistance, protégé, raison d'être, rendez-vous, reservoir, restaurant, repartee, risqué, sans, savoir-faire, serviette, soupçon, souvenir, tête-à-tête, touché, tour de force.

Plus hundreds of terms for foodstuffs like canapes, quiche and vol-au-vents etc.

I really think this list is the tip of the iceberg, obviously it would number several thousand more if words from Norman French were added. I think the French like to get their knickers in a twist over nothing!
greg   Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:39 pm GMT
Soy de la opinión de Kirk. Más generalmente, cuanto menos hay lingüistica, más hay invectivas...
Guest   Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:57 am GMT
Leider kann ich Französisch oder Spanisch nicht verstehen...

That said, Rick Johnson, the thing is that in spoken English today, in most contexts, such words have had very little impact as a whole, especially since French is not nearly as prestigious as it was at times in the past. Except for very commonly used phrases, which most of those mentioned above are not, relatively recent French loans have had little impact on the everyday spoken language, and if anything, are likely to be deprecated due to being viewed as affected and even snobby in nature. Hence, I doubt French is going to have any major further impact on the spoken language, at least here, any time soon.