Endangered Words and Phrases

Geoff_One   Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:17 pm GMT
I think "Fortnight" is quite common in Australia, because most people
are paid fortnightly.
Uriel   Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:08 pm GMT
So are most Americans -- but we still call it two weeks.

We know what fortnight means, we just don't use it. You'll find it in old American texts, but it died out long ago.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:26 pm GMT
Paid fortnightly? Lucky you! I get paid monthly......by the time day 28 comes around I (almost) have to resort to hustling.
Tom K.   Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:15 am GMT
"We know what fortnight means, we just don't use it. You'll find it in old American texts, but it died out long ago."

I didn't know what it meant for a long time. I think for a while I thought it meant 2 days instead of 2 nights.
Guest   Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:54 am GMT
I get paid fortnightly and pay my rent once a fortnight. My roster is also scheduled around a fortnightly structure.
G_DANS   Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:08 am GMT
So a British 'aeroplane' flys into London and lands at a 'airport'.

While an American 'airport' flys into New York and lands at a 'airport'.

I think the Americans wish this situation - logic and simplicity.
american nic   Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:51 am GMT
Guest, what do you mean by 'roster'? Do you mean your schedule?
Guest   Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:03 am GMT
A duty roster, if you like.
Guest   Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:07 am GMT
Nigel   Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:13 am GMT
We would say roster in Australia for a work schedule, but I believe "rota" is the popular term in the UK. Schedule is a more general term.

Aero seems to be used universally in aerospace and aerodynamics etc, and aerodrome is still used (perhaps not in the US), but has acquired a slightly-different meaning from airport in places where it is still used - more for smaller fields or for the runways etc rather than for the passenger facilities. Is "airdrome" used in the US, and is there a similar slight distinction from "airport"?
Uriel   Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:20 pm GMT
I had to look up "aerodrome".

I'd heard it before, but I didn't know what it meant.

It said, "chiefly British. See Airdrome."

I had to look up "airdrome".

I had never heard this word before.

So according to the dictionary, we DO use airdrome. But in real life, I've never ever ever even heard that word said. I would just call a place where planes land an airport. If the planes were landing on a military base, I would probably call it an airfield. But I would never, ever, use airdrome or aerodrome.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:37 pm GMT
From what I could discover, the word "aerodrome" is now an old-fashioned word and nobody uses it any more. It sounds like something out of those old black and white RAF Battle of Britain films. All those old type aerodromes are now called airfields...those that still remain.....check that out on the UK Ordnance Survey maps. A lot of them have apparently been turned into either housing estates or industrial sites....some were returned eventually to the ordinary plain farmland from whence they sprung in the first place. Others actually developed into airports.....even the full blown London Heathrow Airport was apparently a very minor and obscure RAF aerodrome during WW2.

Aerodrome (dictionary definition): a landing area, especially for private aircraft, usually smaller than an airport. US version: airdrome.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:41 pm GMT
I meant to add: duty / time schedules in my office are called "duty rotas".

btw: "Schedules" is pronounced here as "SHED-you-ls". That sort of ties in with the basic German pronounciation of the "sch" combination....as in Busch.
Guest   Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:17 pm GMT
<<From what I could discover, the word "aerodrome" is now an old-fashioned word and nobody uses it any more. It sounds like something out of those old black and white RAF Battle of Britain films. All those old type aerodromes are now called airfields...those that still remain.....check that out on the UK Ordnance Survey maps.>>

"Aerodrome" is still in use and is effectively an airfield where people take private flying lessons in light aircraft. Here's a link to my local one, about 5 miles away.

http://www.bartonaerodrome.co.uk/
NIgel   Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:31 am GMT
Over 2 million Google hits for aerodrome, including some from the US military and the FAA.

Damien, the word aerodrome is not as outmoded as you think. I happen to be an aerodrome controller, one of the positions in air traffic control based in a control tower (where you get a great view) rather than in a radar centre. The term is certainly used in the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand, to my personal knowledge.