Endangered Words and Phrases

Kirk   Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:27 am GMT
<<Do young people in the US use the word "lovely" these days? I use it fairly frequently, but I don't think I hear it much now, except in British movies & TV.>>

I'm 22 and I pretty much only use it in an ironic or facetious sense. In fact I can't imagine myself using it sincerely--I would use some other adjective.
Rene   Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:20 pm GMT
Yeah the only time I hear fornight is when reading Jane Austen or something like that (although, that's not really hearing..my bad). We use aeroplane in science books here in the states. Then again, I have had science books that used the word "fishes" instead of just fish so maybe that's not saying too much.
Rene   Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:27 pm GMT
What I wrote above probably sounded like babbling because I was really tired; sorry. My favorite old saying is "hoist by one's own petards".
Derek   Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:26 am GMT
Aviation standards etc come under the auspices of the International Civil Aviation Organisation [ICAO] and aerodrome is the only term used in all their documentation. So in the industry it is very much the standard word. In Australia all aviation legislation refers only to aerodromes so it is the only legally defined word. Airport tends to be used for an aerodrome which has more sophisticated facilities such customs and immigration.
Sentka Brewster   Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:12 am GMT
What is the marching season in Northern Ireland?
Guest   Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:50 am GMT
Words that are usually in my common word usage list and is sadly dying out from the English language are;

*Thus
and
*Hence

And Im 21 years old!
Uriel   Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:05 am GMT
Rene, in biology, "fishes" is the proper term when speaking of different species or types of fish. It's a special usage, but it's not wrong.