Ferrer, English or Spanish?

Do Bolo   Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:32 am GMT
I know many people with this surname "Ferrer" who don't speak Catalan but do speak Spanish. This does not make them think their surname is not in Spanish. That both languages share the same word, means that no-one is the unique owner of it. Many words in Portugal are alike as in Spanish.

In Cuba, Puerto Rico, etc...
Korea   Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:37 am GMT
Guest, your instruction to teach me say Ferrer is completely weird and wrong. If in Chinese, Ferrer might exist, surely I say it how I speak this language.
Carlos Fiore Da Vinci   Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:43 am GMT
My parents are Italian but I'm Argentine. My two surnames are now into the Spanish, which one I speak only.
Pinga do bolo   Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:49 am GMT
I pronounce Italian names in Spanish because I don't speak Italian, okay!
bever   Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:00 pm GMT
Ping Pong, there is/was an actress named Fay Wray, I think.

It may help to think of the Ferrer pronunciation in terms of her name:

Fay-WRAY 'd (with the emphasis on the second syllable.
Ping Pong   Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:21 pm GMT
Fay Wray has other pronunciation which does not seem to be the same one as in Ferrer.

Ferrer is accented on the second syllable, not the first one.

(fe-'rer), never (fay-'ray), (f-'ray), nor ('fay-''ray)
bever   Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:04 pm GMT
I stand corrected, Ping Pong. Also, the WR of Wray doesn't approximate the pronunciation of the RR in the syllable -rrer.
Txema   Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:50 pm GMT
Hey guys, what a chaos you have made just for a simple question on how to pronounce a simple Last name: Ferrer.

"Ferrer is not a Spanish Name but from catalunia" My next quesdtion would be :"Isn't Catalunia part of the Spain country or what?". Why people from Catalunia cannot accept they are more Spanish than French or at least that Castilian was imposed over their language by Elizabeth the catholic? (what politics and power does, right?) Spanish means "from Spain, the biggest part of the Iberic peninsule". Spanish is not a language. The language spoken in Spain is called Castilian. Ferrer is not a Castilian name but Catalunian, maybe.

Let´s put the hands on the dough. Speaking about how to pronounce a word in a language depends on what language the interested person actually speaks and what language is trying to learn. If the person who asked such a question (How to pronounce FERRER) speaks Castilian (Not Spanish!), pronounce as the "Spanish" sounds are! If he speaks English instead and doesn't want to learn about IPA sounds, which makes to learn pronounciation inaccurate, he will need to pronounce both "e" in F-e-RR-e-R as "e" is pronounce for FR-IE-ND. RR should be pronounced by scratching the palate heavily. Notice there is a difference between the way americans pronounce "R" and the way British people do. The best closest sound for a English native speaker would be to pronounce the "R" in "RED" and "RUG" for all "R" positions within a "Spanish" word.