Translation from English to French

Sara Jo   Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:51 pm GMT
Well, I'm an English speaker taking a lot of French classes, so I tried my best. I had to change the words sometimes because I can't make sense of them in French. Here ya go:

Verse 1
Bonne nuit, Taylor, n’a pas peur (not sure how to make avoir peur de an imperative)
Le monstre est partie, ne pleure pas.
Berce (This is the verb "to rock" --as in baby or boat--in the imperative) avec moi, Taylor.
Verse 2
Bonne nuit, Taylor, ne pleure pas ("Don’t cry" again…dry your eyes I don’t know if that exists in French)
Je te chanserai une berceuse.
Berce avec moi, Taylor, ne pleure pas
T’endors (imperative for "to sleep". I don't know if that makes sense), Taylor.
Verse 3
Bonne nuit, Taylor, dans mes bras
J'éspères que tu va avoir des bons rêves (I hope that you are going to have good dreams...can't remember the futur proche for "to have").
Berce avec moi, ne pleure pas.
T’endors, Taylor.
(Coda)
Bébé Taylor!

I'm sure many of the native French speakers will see the flaws in this (but I hope they compliment some of my creativity ;)). I did my best!
Sara Jo   Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:54 pm GMT
Oh, yes, I remember.

"Tu aurai des bons reves."

And no, I don't know of a French version of the name Taylor.
Guest   Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:06 pm GMT
Hello !

I'm sorry but most of what you writed is incorrect.

Not "Bonne nuit, Taylor, n’a pas peur" but
Bonne nuit Taylor, n'aie pas peur.

" Le monstre est partie, ne pleure pas. "
Le monstre est parti, ne pleure pas.

" Berce avec moi, Taylor."
Laisse-moi te bercer, taylor (let me rock you)

" Je te chanserai une berceuse. "
Je te chanterai une berceuse.

" T’endors, Taylor. "
Endors-toi, Taylor

" J'éspères que tu va avoir des bons rêves"
J'espère que tu vas faire de beaux rêves (I hope you will make beautiful dreams)

" I'm sure many of the native French speakers will see the flaws in this (but I hope they compliment some of my creativity ;)). I did my best! "

Not bad for a french beguiner. I you want to improve, some advices :
- "Taylor" sounds very strange for a baby in French.
- The song lacks rymes.
- it sound a bit too much to a litteral translation
Sara Jo   Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:09 am GMT
Thank you, "Guest"!

Like I said, I tried to translate it to the best of my ability. Thank you for correcting "Chanter"...for some reason I always screw up the verb "to sing" (and I am so stupid...I KNOW that "le monstre" is masculine! Sorry!).

As for some of the tenses, we haven't gotten to indicative or conditional yet in my classes (I am still struggling with plus que parfait!).

Thank you for the corrections and compliments. I agree that it is very literal and does not rhyme. I translated in 10 minutes this time...if I study it long enough, I may be able to make it sound better.

Your English is also a little bit flawed, but very good anyway. I understood everything that you said! Bravo and thank you again!
Annabelle Morison   Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:20 pm GMT
To Sara Jo, wouldn't "Berce avec moi, Taylor" Translate to "Rock With Me, Taylor"? I've also looked up "Laisse-moi te bercer, taylor" on Worldlingo Translation Services, and they say it translates to, "Let Rock To Me, Taylor". Do you think Worldlingo's translation of Laisse-moi te bercer, taylor", as "Let Rock To Me, Taylor", makes sense? What did you mean when you said, "Taylor sounds strange for a baby in French? Do you mean you rarely ever find any baby boys or baby girls in France named Taylor? I wonder if there is a translation of this song in a feminine perspective of French, since in this case, Taylor is a girl. Wouldn't the French translation of the name Taylor be "Tailleur"? Or is that "Tailor"? If "Bercer" means "to Rock", what would be the French translation, if there is one, for "Rock-a-bye"? Also, someone noted that in the coda, rather than to say "Bébé Taylor", you would say something like "Ma puce Taylor", or "Mon Poussin Taylor", or "Mon Chérie Taylor". Does that sound right? What does "Ma Puce Taylor" translate to? What does "Mon Poussin Taylor" translate to? And what about "Mon Chérie Taylor"?
Guest   Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:14 pm GMT
"Taylor sounds strange for a baby in French? Do you mean you rarely ever find any baby boys or baby girls in France named Taylor? I wonder if there is a translation of this song in a feminine perspective of French, since in this case, Taylor is a girl. "

"Taylor" sound even more strange for a girl. We have ebsolutly no people whose name is taylor in french - it doesn't sound as a name but it looks more like an Anglo-saxon family name to our ears.
It should be better to use a nickname, such as "lolo", "taylie"
Sara Jo   Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:08 pm GMT
Annabelle: Yes, "Berce avec moi, Taylor" is a literal translation of "rock with me, Taylor." However, "Guest's" translation, "Laisse-moi te bercer", or "Let me rock you" sounds much better.

It is impossible to translate non-sensical words in English into another language. "Rock-a-bye" is not actually a word; thus, we both tried a different wording.

No, Taylor would not be "Tailleur", mostly because the two letter L's would be pronounced as a Y, so it would sound like "tire". You can't translate names into another language! There are French equivalents of English names (Jean/John for example).

I would suggest "Taylie" as well, because it sounds much better in a French tongue than "Taylor".

If you want to say, "My dear Taylor" in the coda, since she's a girl, it would be "Ma cherie, Taylor" not "Mon cherie".

Hope that helped!
never known..   Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:13 am GMT
what's the translation of "goodnight my dear, i love you" ?
Answer   Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:57 pm GMT
...Bonne nuit, mon amour, je t'aime...
karl   Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:22 am GMT
i need you to translate in french I'm always indecisive.
kim   Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:24 am GMT
what's the translation of '' I'm always indecisive''
Franco   Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:18 am GMT
Je sois toujours indécis.
Diego   Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:57 pm GMT
Bonne nuit,tailleur?...
Correction   Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:21 pm GMT
<< Je sois toujours indécis. >>
Je suis toujours indécis
taylor   Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:13 am GMT
borring