Give examples of words that English is missing

Sander   Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:32 pm GMT
Candy, yes but don't English speaking nations do the same with foreign things? ;)
Sander   Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:38 pm GMT
=>foreign things?<= = foreign movies
greg   Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:47 pm GMT
Totalement en désaccord avec Travis : le doublage de films n'est absolument pas inférieur au sous-titrage (ni l'inverse d'ailleurs). Il s'agit de deux opérations complètement différentes. Prétendre le contraire relève du snobisme.
Sander   Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:02 pm GMT
Greg,

For me , it's disrespect to other languages.
Candy   Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:59 am GMT
Sander,
I don't think we dub foreign films, do we?? Not sure we watch enough of them to make a generalisation anyway...
I personally would never watch a dubbed film, even dubbed into English. As Travis says, dubbing is EVIL!!! I don't think 'snobbism' has anything to do with it - if you're going to watch an American film, watch it in English. If you're going to watch a Spanish film, watch it in Spanish!
I used to teach in Poland and over there dubbing consists of one man, reading all the parts, and you can hear the English underneath!!!
Hideous!
greg   Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:06 am GMT
Non, Candy. Il y a des fois (et elles sont nombreuses) où le plaisir de voir un film dans ma langue maternelle dépasse tout autre considération. Ceci dit, j'aime bien les films en VO. Mais c'est une option. Pas une nécessité.
Travis   Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:21 am GMT
>>Totalement en désaccord avec Travis : le doublage de films n'est absolument pas inférieur au sous-titrage (ni l'inverse d'ailleurs). Il s'agit de deux opérations complètement différentes. Prétendre le contraire relève du snobisme.<<

greg, kannst du bitte das ins Deutsch übersetzen?
Easterner   Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:09 am GMT
greg: "Totalement en désaccord avec Travis : le doublage de films n'est absolument pas inférieur au sous-titrage (ni l'inverse d'ailleurs). Il s'agit de deux opérations complètement différentes. Prétendre le contraire relève du snobisme."

(Translation: "I totally disagree with Travis: the dubbing of films is in no way inferior to subtitles <or vice versa>. Those are two completely different operations. To assert the contrary gives rise to snobbery".)

Dubbing is a common practice in Hungary (as in France, Italy, Germany, etc.), and I can say that most dubbed films I have seen were rendered quite effectively and in an enjoyable manner into Hungarian (and some dubbing actors' performances were outstanding). If you have the option, watch dubbed films if you want to get relaxed and focus entirely on the plot.

On the other hand, films with subtitles make you more "engaged", because you have to concentrate on what is being said to be able to understand the plot. By making this conscious effort, you are more focussed on the little details, and that may make it more enjoyable to watch the film - not to mention the extra profit of picking up something of the original language in context, if you are a conscious language learner.

Summing up, I can say that while neither of the two methods make the film more or less enjoyable, watching subtitled films gives you a more lasting impression and is intelectually more rewarding. This is my experience at least.
Easterner   Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:10 am GMT
Erratum: "intellectually"
Candy   Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:00 am GMT
Hi greg,
I can understand what you wrote, but I can't write French, sorry!
I completely understand what you mean that sometimes you want to watch a film in your native language. I teach in Germany and most of my students want to see films in German, because it's more relaxing for them after a hard day at work. But, from an English teacher's point of view :) I find it annoying that they constantly complain to me that in Germany they have no chance to listen to English - then they don't take the chance when they have it!?
From my own point of view, I still dislike dubbing ernormously. I once tried to watch the Chinese film 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' in English - I managed 2 minutes then switched to the Chinese sound with subtitles. I found it ludicrous and distracting to see Chinese people 'speaking' fluent English, and for me this overrode the 'pleasure' of watching in my native language. I'm just not used to it, I guess.
In Germany, dubbing is a big industry, and technically very proficient, unlike Poland! :) But I still hate switching on the TV and seeing Tom Cruise 'speak' German!! Aaaggghhh!!!
greg   Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:23 am GMT
Merci Easterner. Au fait : absolument d'accord avec toi.

Salut Candy : moi aussi j'aime bien les films en VO mais ma langue maternelle n'est ni le japonais ni le serbo-croate >>> j'aime bien voir les films en français mais je n'ai rien contre les voir en VO non plus.

Travis : Entschuldigung >>> ich bin Spät, um die Dinge auf frz. zu übersetzen. Easterner hat es aber wunderschön übersetzt. Entsch. für dieser furchbare Satz aud D. : ich habe es eilig !!!
Geoff_One   Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:20 am GMT
Some more made up words:

dipostday = the day after tomorrow

tripostday = the day after the day after tomorrow

Someone may be able to think up/make up a better single
word for each of these.
The Swede   Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:20 am GMT
Geoff_One, I must say that I like your proposals.
Damian   Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:42 am GMT
the day after tomorrow

the day after the day after tomorrow

Someone may be able to think up/make up a better single
word for each of these.

Easy peasy:

As of today Friday:

Sunday
Monday

....sorry! my flippant mood today :-)
Vera   Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:48 pm GMT
Somewhere up the thread, there was a short discussion about the names of God. In the Orthodox tradition, there is another one nobody has mentionned: Savaof (the last syllable stressed; transliteration from Russian). I haven't found anything of the sort in foreign languages. Don't know for sure, but guess the name origins from some Greek equivalent. Does any one know more about it?
Sanja, do you have anything like that in Serbo-Croatian?