Give examples of words that English is missing

Guest(never to return)   Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:31 am GMT
I ran across these boards quite randomly, but probably won't return unless I am searching for insight on my Minnesota accent again.

Some thoughts:
>>we also have a word called "hygge". there is no such word in english. you can only try to describe it. it can be if a family is playing cards in their sitting room and it rains outside. they're chatting and having fun, feeling comfortable.. ehm.. yeh.. that's what it could be. that situation is "hygge"<<
Cozy?

No mention of "All Y'all" yet... I'm not too clear on the technical distinction though? My mother's greatest gift to me and my siblings was to not raise us in Kansas. (Our relatives there are disfunctional and would hate to say "pillow" like "pilluh" or "wash" like "warsh.")

>>I think English donĀ“t have a word for "ragga" "raggare". But it sounds strange I think there is a word for it at least a slangword. "Ragga" means "chase, pick up, girls" very often by car . "Raggare" is the person who do that.<<

I belive this is now "pimping" and the person a "pimp!"

>>negative: (not big)
negative comparative: (less big)
negative superlative: (least big)<<

Small smaller smallest! ;)

One huge shortcoming English has: only one word for "love."

>>There are "ruthless" people - but why aren't there "ruth" people, who are the opposite of "ruthless" people?<<

I thought this was an interesting question, so I looked up "ruth."
n. 1. Compassion or pity for another. 2. Sorrow or misery about one's own misdeeds or flaws.
So I suppose you could be a ruthfull leader! Too bad power corrupts...

That's all! Good day, and be ruthfull of eachother!
-A
Guest   Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:06 pm GMT
>>One huge shortcoming English has: only one word for "love." <<

amour, amouressness, passion, adoration, infatuation, affection, enamoured, smitten
Candy   Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:16 pm GMT
>>One huge shortcoming English has: only one word for "love." >>

Also: cherish, idolise, worship, adore, adulation, devotion.....

(Guest above wasn't me, by the way)
Sander   Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:12 pm GMT
There's only one thing I really miss in English and that's a polite and an informal form of 'you' singular. :-)
Rom   Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:43 pm GMT
>>There's only one thing I really miss in English and that's a polite and an informal form of 'you' singular. :-)<<
Why not just start using thou and ye and tell people that in your speech 'ye' is formal instead of plural.
Sander   Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:57 pm GMT
wankers
Sander   Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:00 pm GMT
The person above is not me.

Rom,

It might be a good idea of reintroducing 'ye' and 'thou'.But I would sound pretty stupid and people would ask why the hell they taught me THAT kind of English. :-)
PAul   Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:31 pm GMT
There's only one thing I would like in English and that's a polite and an informal form of 'you' singular.

Sir, works for Polite
Lady, works for polite
Bud, works for informal male
Dear, works for informal female
Sander   Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:35 pm GMT
=>Sir, works for Polite
Lady, works for polite
Bud, works for informal male
Dear, works for informal female <=

That doesn't solve my problem.
tide   Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:31 am GMT
what the heck is an example of the word tide?
tide   Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:35 am GMT
i need an example of tide and none of this stuff gives me anything! someone pleez post a request sayin' an example pleeeeeeez!
tide   Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:42 am GMT
I NEED AN EXAMPLE OF A TIDE.......not quite a synonym of it but an example.....like an example of raisins is sun maid raisins.....it is like the type of thing.the specific type. like another example is of the word batteries.....an example of that would be energizer batteries......pleez help me someone....this probably isnt hard for some people.....some people....lol..........pleez just pleez help me this is an emergency!
tide   Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:45 am GMT
I NEED AN EXAMPLE OF A TIDE.......not quite a synonym of it but an example.....like an example of raisins is sun maid raisins.....it is like the type of thing.the specific type. like another example is of the word batteries.....an example of that would be energizer batteries......pleez help me someone....this probably isnt hard for some people.....some people....lol..........pleez just pleez help me this is an emergency! it is 12:00 midnight and this is my homework...lol...pleez help! i will be in big trouble if i dont get my homework done! so post a request sayin' the answer!
Guest   Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:54 am GMT
Tide at sea?

Current.
Uriel   Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:12 am GMT
High tide, low tide, tide mark, neap tide, moon tides, sun tides, tidal wave, tidal effect, tidal pool, tides of change, gravitational tides, wash your clothes with Tide... what are you looking for?