Are Portuguese and French accents Celtic-influenced?

Latin-Anglo-American   Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:48 pm GMT
France (Gaul) and Portugal (Galacia) were home to Celtic peoples, before they were Romanized. The people of these regions spoke Celtic languages, until vulgar Latin replaced the old vernacular.

Yet, as when anyone speaks a second language, they retain the accent of their mother tounge. Both of these languages happen to have nasalization. Could it be that this particular aspect of their phonology comes from a Celtic accent?
Sigma   Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:45 pm GMT
Portuguese and French are similar in phonology. Perhaps their phonology is Celtic. But I wonder which accent would be more conversative to the Celtic Phonology.
Latin-Anglo-American   Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:01 pm GMT
Sigma, by that you would mean that you wonder which has retained more of a Celtic phonology?
Gringo   Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:15 pm GMT
««France (Gaul) and Portugal (Galacia) were home to Celtic peoples, before they were Romanized.»»

Not just Gallaecia, Lusitania and the Conii kingdom too.

««Could it be that this particular aspect of their phonology comes from a Celtic accent?»»

You want to know if there was language shift and substratum interference. Yes it is much possible. If words like combate (*kombito), nau (*naw), sogro (*swekru-), are of Celtic origin and are still spoken the nasality most probably came from Celtic.

You get more on syntax here:

http://www.williamknox.net/syntax.htm

You also have to consider that the Swabian speak nasalized. You can have two influences in the Portuguese language.
Latin-Anglo-American   Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:23 pm GMT
So the majority of Celti-Iberians were in Lusitania, Gallaecia, i.e. - modern day Portugal and northwestern Spain?

Because Spanish doesn't have that same Celtic phonological influence. Perhaps, most of Iberia which was later to called Spain, had a relatively small population of Celtic peoples. By the second century C.E., Hispania did not have a Celtic culture as far as I know.

I am very interested to why exactly French and Portuguese developed such a nasalization.

If you listen to Breton(ic), which is the closest modern day relative of the ancient language of Gaul, you can easily imagine someone with such an accent trying to speak Latin, sounding very similar to French.
Gringo   Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
You can se athe Ethnologic Map of Pre-Roman Iberia (circa 200 B.C.) here:

http://www.arqueotavira.com/Mapas/Iberia/Populi.htm

Leonese did not have nasal sounds so I suppose there was another influence. It is thought Swabian could be the explanation why Portuguese kept the nasal sounds instead of losing them, like probably hapened to Leonese that was also in a Celtiberian region.

http://users.ids.net/~marcom/a451eu.gif
LINGUA BRAZILERA   Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:49 pm GMT
I believe Brazilian Portuguese is:

1) French influenced. We normally put reflexive SE of the infinitives in front of the word, just in French

2) French/Italian influenced: We use preposition EM (in) with words of movement, just like in many French/Italian phrases (andare in discoteca, aller en ville) [ir na cidade, ir na danceteria]

3) Spanish infulenced: We can start question with clitics: TE AMO. NOS FALOU TUDO.
Latin-Anglo-American   Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:43 pm GMT
Cual es Swabian?
Guest   Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:47 pm GMT
I believe Brazilian Portuguese is:

1) French influenced. We normally put reflexive SE of the infinitives in front of the word, just in French

2) French/Italian influenced: We use preposition EM (in) with words of movement, just like in many French/Italian phrases (andare in discoteca, aller en ville) [ir na cidade, ir na danceteria]

3) Spanish infulenced: We can start question with clitics: TE AMO. NOS FALOU TUDO.

Sure, and caribean spanish is portuguese influenced, how come they have the word carro, when it is coche in spain, and why do they spell many words different from standard castillean, such as ao. Everyone is trying to tell how different brazilian portuguese is so different from european portuguese and putting it at the same side of spanish,french and italian, hahaha. c'mon, dont make me laugh
Gringo   Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:57 pm GMT
Latin-Anglo-American Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:43 pm GMT
««Cual es Swabian?»»

Swabians are the descendents of the other tribes of Suevi that did not follow the Suevi Quados and Marcomanos to the Iberian Peninsula. They settled in what is now Swabia in Germany. Their dialect has nasal vowels.
Gringo   Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:02 pm GMT
««Everyone is trying to tell how different brazilian portuguese is so different from european portuguese and putting it at the same side of spanish,french and italian, hahaha. c'mon, dont make me laugh »»

What it seems is that they really love Portuguese and do not want to admit it, so they say it is another language.
Flavio Nagliati   Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:13 pm GMT
I`m a brazlian portuguese speaker, and I`m doubtless, the french is vastly present in our vocabulary, as a romance languages enthusiast, I can easily notice words either through french (the last romance one),arabic or greek origins... but we´ve to consdier assol that the brazilian portuguese is really mixed to any sort of language. Do not try to perform a "focused" comparation between BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE and "similar" languages, our language has proven to be uniqueness in a wide range of aspects.
Antonio   Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:15 pm GMT
"If you listen to Breton(ic), which is the closest modern day relative of the ancient language of Gaul,"

Which one? How do you konw there was only one language?

It is not Gaul but Gaul"S".
Latin-Anglo-American   Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:13 pm GMT
<<It is not Gaul but Gaul"S". >>

No Antonio. When referring to places or nations, you speak in the singular form. The country or region would be 'Gaul', while the people would be called 'Gauls'.
preposition EM   Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:34 pm GMT

ir EM cidade, ir EM danceteria

this is NOT Portuguese