Lexical similarities between French-Spanish-Italian

Guest   Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:46 pm GMT
Parisienne Wrote:
<<I don't even mention about Romanian as I don't regard it as a Romance language after all the differences.>>

I totally agree with you Parisienne, Romanian SHOULD NOT be a Latin base language... It should be Salvic, I believe that who ever catagorise Romanian as a Romance Language made a mistake... no offence to any Romanian speakinf people...
Eric   Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:57 pm GMT
Well, Romanian *is* a Romance language and this is a linguistic fact, not an opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_language#Classification
my opinion   Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:05 pm GMT
I do not know how and why Romanian should be slavic if it is a romance language. I think you have a biased opinion on this. What romanian should be or not is not up to you.
Valeria   Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:50 pm GMT
Romanian is a Romance language but it has so gone far away from the other Romance languages.It may not be nonsense to categorise it a Romance language, but still many people should consider it a far far far more "slavicised" Romance language.It has still noun cases, and using gender in Romanian is similar to the use in Slavic languages.Excuse me but, no matter how many people say that Romanian is a Romance language, it has gone far away to still be called a Romance language...
Rolando   Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:05 pm GMT
I agree 150% with Valeria... I can hardly see any French, Italian, Spanish or Portuguese in there... But like it is said its a "Unique" Romance Language it might be half brothers or 3rd cousin to French, Italian, Spanish or Portuguese... but its Father/Mother is Latin... Odd very very very odd...
guest   Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:43 pm GMT
Romanian "slavicised" Romance language
Spanish "arabicised" Romance language
French "germanised" Romance language

Odd. Very, very, very odd!!!
Guest   Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:08 pm GMT
Adn what about Italian & Portugese???
Rolando   Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:40 pm GMT
You dont have to be rude guest, Romanian went to far on the slavic part... and since you know to much what about Italian & Portugese... Im guessing its arabicised or not.
Aldvm   Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
Romanian "slavicised" Romance language
Spanish "arabicised" Romance language
French "germanised" Romance language

Odd. Very, very, very odd!!!

--->>>

I wrote:

Spanish still sounds/ looks very much Latin, regardless to your statement. Spanish doesn't used much of it's arabic derived words, I'm speculating about 1,200 out of 4,000 arabic words are actually used. The oddity of this, is that, Greek has played a larger part in Spanish vocabulary then Arabic. People seem to forget this.
Rolando   Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:31 pm GMT
Why greek...? And what about Italian & Portugese...?
Pete   Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:39 pm GMT
<<I don't even mention about Romanian as I don't regard it as a Romance language after all the differences.>>

<<I totally agree with you Parisienne, Romanian SHOULD NOT be a Latin base language... It should be Salvic, I believe that who ever catagorise Romanian as a Romance Language made a mistake... no offence to any Romanian speakinf people... >>

there's no offence in saying Romanian is a Slavic language. But only a great display of ignorance. For your information Sardinian and Romanian still preserve some features that other Romance languages don't have anymore. Romanian cases and certain things, despite being largely influenced by surrounding Slavic languages is a very Romance language.

And as someone said before, it's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of analising the language and coming to a reasonable conclussion after a lot of observation, research and studies... Not just look at a Romanian newspaper and seeing some words of Slavic origin, coming to a non-sensical conclussion.

Romanian is more romance than Spanish, French and Portuguese... Nothing else to be said!!!

Pete from Peru
Aldvm   Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:33 am GMT
to: Rolando

"Why greek...? And what about Italian & Portugese...? "

--->>>

Good question. Because, Greek was once spoken in Spain before the Roman invasion. For example, the name Spain, some scholars' would argue is derived from Greek: Hispalis = Hispania = España. Others would imply it's of celtic / roman or phoenincian? origin.

The fact is that spanishs' vocabulary consists of 5-6% Greek derivatives {i.e. 'enano/plato/astro' etc}, however it's assimilated as being Latin, so no one really notices. Moreover, a couple of surnames are of Greek descent {i.e. 'delgado' etc}.

Italian also has had it's good share of Arabic words: (i.e. 'arancia/allarme/alzare = orange / alarm / raise' ETC.) However, not as much as Portuguese.

Portuguese acquired circa 1000 words from Arabic, for example:('laranja/alarme/aldeia/alface = orange / alarm / village / lettuce' ETC.)

Hope this helps.

Sardinian is by far the most conversative.
Rolando   Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:48 am GMT
Thanks Aldvm, the reason I ask is because, I'v seen statments from people who study languages that Italian is the "pure decendent" from Latin, and Portugese, since its 89% with Spanish, it might have gotten Arabic too...
Pedro   Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:02 am GMT
The truly 'Arabicised' romance languages are still: Spanish and Portuguese. There are thousands of Arabic derived words between these 2 Iberian brother languages.

And one hears an abundance of 'Arabic' derived words in these two Iberian languages in everyday speech. E.g., Spanish='Ojala' and Portuguese='Oxala' and Arabic='In-shallah' which means, 'god willing, if god permits'. There are too many to list here, but here are some Portuguese words of Arabic origin:

FOODS
ARABIC ENGLISH PORTUGUESE
al-karawiyah caraway alcaravia
al-laymun lime limáo
al-zayt oil azeite
al-zaytun olive azeitona
al-naranj orange laranja
al-rumman pomegranate romã
al-aruzz rice arroz
al-za'faran saffron açafrão
al-isbanakh spinach espinafre
al-sukkar sugar açúcar
sharab syrup xarope

OTHER WORDS
ARABIC ENGLISH PORTUGUESE
amir al-bar admiral almirante
al-kimiya' alchemy alquimia
gharrafah carafe garrafa
al-zanqah lane azinhaga
al-mijrash mortar almofariz
al-misk musk almuscar
al-jayb pocket algibeira
ta'rifah tariff tarifa
al-makhzan warehouse armazem
sifr zero cifra

PLACE NAMES
PORTUGUESE ARABIC ROOT ENGLISH
Albufeira al-buhayrah the lake
Alcantarilha al-qantarah the bridge
Alcaria al-qariyah the village
Aldeia al-day'ah the small village
Alfambras al-hamra' the red
Alferce al-fa's the pickaxe
Algoz al-ghuzz name of an Arab tribe
Aljezur al-juzur the islands
Almadena al-madinah the city
Almansil al-manzil the house
Almodôvar al-mudawwar the round
Alvor al-barr the port, the dry land
Salema salam peace
Odemira wadi al-amirah valley of the princess
Aldvm   Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:07 am GMT
Rolando wrote:

"Thanks Aldvm, the reason I ask is because, I'v seen statments from people who study languages that Italian is the "pure decendent" from Latin, and Portugese, since its 89% with Spanish, it might have gotten Arabic too..."

---->>>>

I wrote:

You're welcome. Some scholars say, Italian is most conservative in vocabulary {i.e. 'uccidere/rimanere/tacere' etc). Which I too agree to an extent. Portuguese is conservative in the sense it does not 'diphthongize' words like: terra/novo/fogo/pedra etc.

Italian: terra/nuovo/fuoco/pietra.
Spanish: tierra/nuevo/fuego/piedra. *however spanish has -foco- as well.

so yeah, like I've mentioned prior to this post. Nothing is black and white.