Globalisation - EU backs European driving licence

E.U.K   Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:56 pm GMT
BBC NEWS | Europe | EU backs European driving licence EU ministers approve a European driving licence to replace the many national versions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4849330.stm

what languages will be on the universal European licence ?

English, French and the local language, just like on passports ?
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:30 am GMT
First of all there must be a streamlined set of road rules that would apply to all EU nations. The most obvious one is the lef hand driving in Britain and Ireland vs Main land Europe Right hand driving. (Something I doubt the British would want - to change from the lefthand to the righthand.)

For your question - I suggest they do it as on passports with both the local language and English/French.
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:46 am GMT
Why on Earth would the EU want to streamline all important documents? Next thing they expect us to have EU birth certificates.
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:00 am GMT
More revenue in their coffers?
Uriel   Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:41 am GMT
What languages do you really NEED on a license plate? just put the name of the country -- in its original language -- and that should be sufficient.
Damian in London N2   Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:05 am GMT
***The most obvious one is the left hand driving in Britain and Ireland vs Main land Europe Right hand driving. (Something I doubt the British would want - to change from the lefthand to the righthand***

Vous avez raison, mon ami - you are quite right, my friend (pardon the pun): no way would these Islands ever contemplate switching over from left to right.

Hell would freeze over first.

Driving on the left is one of the differences Continentals find either endearing, enraging or idiosyncratic about this lovely country of ours. It would look bizarre indeed to see the ever ubiquitous streams of traffic negotiating our main city streets, country villages, main roads and motorways on the RIGHT hand side carriageways! We'd have to move our steering wheels over to the other side. Och no!.....i would ne'er do...no way!.

You're so right!!...we're going to keep left!! .... ad infinitum.

Let those guys "over there" change over if they want uniformity on Europe's highways.

Let's keep all those warning signs all along the exit roads from the ferry terminals at Dover (and all other UK ferry ports facing the Continent) addressed to Continental European vehicle drivers alighting from the ferries onto the UK roads:

Links fahren
Tenez a gauche
KEEP LEFT

Cheers!
Uriel   Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:13 am GMT
Oops, misread -- you're talking about the driver's license itself.

I would think most of the info on a driver's license would be pretty self-explanatory.

If I simply wrote:

URIEL

20/7/72

5'6" (165 cm)

You'd all know what that meant, right? You could go on to indicate hair and eye color with appropriately-colored symbols, and put the expiration date in red, and it'd be all good.
bmw   Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:32 am GMT
Adam   Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:17 pm GMT
One reason why British raods are the safest in the world has probably to do with us driving on the left and our steering wheels being on the right.

Surely, the steering wheel being on the right of the vehicle is safer.
Adam   Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:19 pm GMT
Also, why do we have to have a stupid EU driving license? What one with the good old British one?

Are they gonna start bringing out NATO or UN driving licenses?
------------------------------------------------------------------

"All European cars already have universal EU license plates"

No, they don't. British number plates are what they have been for many years.
Adam   Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:25 pm GMT
When it comes to driving, the clever the British (needless to say) have got it right whereas most of the rest og the world has got it wrong.

Why?

British roads are the safest in the world. Less people are killed on British roads each year than almost every other industrialised nation on Earth. Maybe that has to do with the fact that our cars drive on the left of the road and so our steering wheels are on the right hand side of the car?

How does having a steering wheel on the right hand side of the car make driving in Britain safer?

The reason is because the majority of the people in the world are right-handed.........

This was posted on a discussion forum -

Driving on the left.

Driving on the left is correct for RIGHT-HANDED people - the great majority of people, here is why:

When changing gear in a UK car with the steering wheel on the right , this is of course correct in the UK etc for driving on the left--------your left hand changes gear and your right hand stays on the steering wheel, (this is safer for right handed people.)

The reverse is the case in countries where one must drive on the right.-- in other words if you live in the USA you hold the steering wheel with your left hand and change gear with your right hand because of course the steering wheel is on the left in the USA--------this is dangerous if you are right handed.

Bicycles: Bike riders are in real danger in countries where driving on the right is mandatory again assuming you are right handed----Try mounting a bike in the USA and you will find yourself in the stream of traffic when getting on the bike---- try it yourself---------: Mounting a bike in the UK is done from the sidewalk by right handed people who find it easier to put their right leg over the bike. , Much safer and this must have saved many lives.

Reversing up a steep drive: My drive in the UK is very steep----------when I reverse out I hold the steering wheel with my right hand and look over my left shoulder to the rear window. In a USA car you must hold the steering wheel with your left hand and look over your right shoulder to look out of the rear window.. So you must reverse with your left hand on the steering wheel.. Or stick your head out of the window if you want to use your right hand on the steering wheel. ---Dangerous for the 82% right handed majority.

Right handed people who are also "right eyed" have the traffic coming toward them on their right in left hand driving areas , which is the way "right eyed" people are able to react better. When overtaking on a right hand driving USA road the right eyed/handed driver looks in the mirror with the left eye and also views the oncoming traffic with the left eye. A change of gear is sometimes needed to overtake so he/she is driving left handed while changing gear with the right hand and looking in the mirror and oncoming traffic with the left eye. Of course the gear change should in theory be completed before pulling out but this in practice is not always the case. The prevalence of automatic gear change in the USA may not be just luxury after all but necessity

Perhaps a billion cyclists in right hand driving areas around the world are all risking their lives mounting their bike in traffic. Also In right hand driving areas a greater number of people reverse with their heads out of the window and hundreds of millions of right handed drivers hold the steering wheel at speed with their left hand. There are over 6 billion people in the world today and billions of people using road transport. Driving on the left is safer and provably safer for right handed drivers; however I concede that because over 60% of the world drives on the right there is no prospect of a global change to driving on the left.

Christopher (Chris) Davison London UK
sam_smith170@yahoo.com

Recent research shows 5 out of 6 people naturally use the right hand:
"A systematic study * of the distribution of manipulative skill has been carried out by Marian Annett and colleagues from the Department of Psychology at Leicester University. Annett and Kilshaw (1983) found that in a group of 1480 adolescents and adults, using a simple peg-moving task apparatus to assay hand skill, 82 % were more skilled with the right hand, 3% were equally skilled with each hand, and 15 % were more skilled with the left hand. When the disparity of skill between the two hands is plotted as a histogram, it becomes apparent that skill asymmetry is normally distributed: there is no clear separation into the two conventional handedness groups"

"A natural preference for the left hand in skilled tasks develops in as many as one individual in six. " Meaning of course that 5 out of 6 naturally use the right hand. (* Reproduced with permission of Leicester University UK ).

http://www.thaisouth.com/forum/index.php?topic=377.new
Dieu et mon droit   Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:33 am GMT
Dear Adam ,

1. I dont think you have a car
2. I dont think you have a driving license
3. I dont think you have a passport

4.The UK cars have indeed the EU flag on their Plates !

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d8/BritishNumberPlates_CopyrightKaihsuTai.jpg/200px-BritishNumberPlates_CopyrightKaihsuTai.jpg

5. The British driving license contains the EU flag on them

http://cannabisculture.com/library/images/uploads/1528-uk-driving-licence_sized.jpg

6. The British passport contains the "European Union" on them

http://www.askcab.co.uk/upimages/radviceazPetes-passport.jpg

sorry for you Adam, but you live in CooCoo land.

P.S. I dont think you have a brain...

Dieu et mon droit Adam - your French motto ! LOL
Guest   Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:40 am GMT
Guest   Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:45 am GMT
To pass a driving test in the UK you have to learn the metric system imposed by the EU regulations.

Theory test questions:

What is the stopping distance at 70 MPH

21 metres,
75 metres,
96 metres

?

The DVLA’s UK governmental theory test is in METRES!!!

If you don’t respond correctly you FAIL !
UK Motorist: Poor Man of   Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:00 am GMT
"British roads are the safest in the world"

not safest Adam, the poorest...

• Our motorway network ranks among the least developed in Europe (motorway network length to unit of GDP). The UK is fourteenth out of a European league table of 15 - only Ireland has fewer miles
• UK car ownership falls five per cent below the European average
• Motorways account for nearly 20 per cent of all traffic, yet represent less than one per cent of the total road length in the UK.

http://www.racfoundation.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=35