English a language heavily influenced by french

mikea   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:50 am GMT
another reality is english compare to other germanic languages i see english closer to a latin language then to a germanic language
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:52 am GMT
<I don't see how even the most arrogant, close-minded fools like Sander could say that English hasn't been heavily influenced by French. >

I'm actually surprised by your comment about Sander and frankfully I have to agree to some extent. Aren't you sure he's referring to the fact that the core grammar structure and core vocab is still Germanic based in the English language?
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:53 am GMT
*frankly not frankfully
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:54 am GMT
nombre (number) moment (moment)-even ent words came from the french i would have to say that for an english speaker learning french would be easier thatn learning german
LAA - Juaquin en la caja!   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:54 am GMT
It is not closer to Romance languages than Germanic languages, for the simple fact that its foundation is irreovocably Germanic. Therefore, its syntax, phonology, and basic level of vocabulary is still Germanic. Thus, English correctly remains part of the Germanic branch of the Indo-European language family. Yet, it can often resemble French more than other Germanic languages in some instances, due to the fact, that the actual majority of English words are derived from French. So, yes, English is a Germanic language which has been heavily influenced by French/Latin.
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:55 am GMT
<Are you talking about the Caesarian and Gregorian calendars?>

I think I'm actually talking about the one we use today.... the Caesarian one.
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:55 am GMT
that sander guy could be right on the structure of english but not on the vocabulary. i heard the germans have masculine and femine correct me
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:56 am GMT
Lets assume that we have a hybrid of the Germanic and Latin language groups - ENGLISH
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:59 am GMT
<that sander guy could be right on the structure of english but not on the vocabulary. i heard the germans have masculine and femine correct me>

Well doesn't English to some extent have this annoying system of masculine and femine terms? Eg. Host/Hostess or Waiter/Waitress?
mae   Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:00 am GMT
l'air which is air and aire in spanish

ENG-information
FRE-information
SPA-informacion

ENG-television
FRE-television
SPA-television (ALSO IN SPANISH WOULD IT BE BORROWED)

ENG-note
FRE-note
SPA-nota
mae   Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:02 am GMT
english in vocabulary look latin in some extent
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:04 am GMT
<english in vocabulary look latin in some extent>

Indeed it looks like latin to some extent but the next question DOES IT SOUND LIKE LATIN? Verbally I personally would say though many French words came into the English language it adopted a 'Germanic Pronunciation' If you get my drift.
mae   Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:04 am GMT
voy a tener un examen de ingles
je vais avoir un examen d'anglais
im goig to having an english exam

English structure is reverse when comparing to french and spanish
but the vocabulary is similar to latin languages
mae   Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:08 am GMT
its interresting the pronounciation of french too is the most similar to english remember not all words are pronounced in french which made easy for english to adobt french vocabulary but i agree does't sound latin but sounds way more similar to french then so say spanish where everything is pronounce or latin or portugese
malcriado   Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:10 am GMT
isn't easier for a french to learn english than for a spanish to learn english?