how does PORTUGUESE [pt] sound to you?

Velina   Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:36 pm GMT
How does Continental PORTUGUESE [pt] sound to you?

In my opinion, it sounds more like Catalan than like Brazilian Portuguese.
Why is that? Both Catalan and Continental Portuguese have limited vowels in unstressed possitions (you can hear mostly shwas and [u]s).
Arthur   Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:10 pm GMT
Hi Velina,

Funny, that you ask this question. I fully agree with you. I work at a Catalan company, and this was exactly my first thought when I started listening Catalan the whole day.
Another feature that they share is this sort of "liquid" 'L'.
Brandon   Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:37 pm GMT
I agree that Catalan comes close, they even pronounce some words similar, like CAIXA [bank] /'kaiS@/ [in Brazilian it would sound more like /'kaSa/; S=sh; @=shwa, mute e, e caduc]
Guest   Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
Wrong, in Brazil we do pronounce it similarly to Portugal, while in Portugal they say kaisha, in brazil we say kahishah.
Gringo   Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:45 am GMT
««In my opinion, it sounds more like Catalan than like Brazilian Portuguese. »»

I also think the phonology of Catalan has some features that sometimes
resemble EuPortuguese (but without nasal vowels).

There are several Brazilian accents to compare with, not just the ones of Rio or São Paulo. You have to conside the southern Brazilian accent like the one of Florianópolis SC that is very close to the EurPortuguese.

In the word "Caixa" in BrPortuguese is pronounced almost the same way as in Portugal the only difference is in the last "a".

BrPortuguese Kaisha the last "a" is pronouced like the "a" of "Artic"
EuPortuguese Kaisha the last "a" is pronouced like the "a" of "America"

There are other regional accents, so it changes according to the region.
Gringo   Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:49 am GMT
conside = consider
Johnathan Mark   Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:11 am GMT
I remember thinking, upon first encountering Portuguese, for as similar as Portuguese looked to Spanish, it sounds nothing like it. The nasal vowels and the presence of [sh] made me think it sounded like French.
Thayna   Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:55 pm GMT
''In the word "Caixa" in BrPortuguese is pronounced almost the same way as in Portugal the only difference is in the last "a". ''

Not true, even newscasters use monothongal ai [a], ei [e] and ou [o]:

caixa ['kaSa] (S= english SH) ''bank''
brasileiro [brazi'leru] ''Brazilian''
cabeleireiro [kabele'reru] ''hairdresser''
ouro ['oru] ''gold''

If you don't believe me, check out the Oxford Dictionary of Portuguese.
The monothongal pronunciation is shown, because 99% of us speak this way.

Cheerz!
João   Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:09 am GMT
Not true, even newscasters use monothongal ai [a], ei [e] and ou [o]:

caixa ['kaSa] (S= english SH) ''bank''
brasileiro [brazi'leru] ''Brazilian''
cabeleireiro [kabele'reru] ''hairdresser''
ouro ['oru] ''gold''

Nowadays in Lisbon, especially youngsters who speak very fast in Portuguese, they also tend to pronounce caixa like casha and ouro like oro, so its not a brazilian exclusive.
Gringo   Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:45 pm GMT
Thayna
««The monothongal pronunciation is shown, because 99% of us speak this way.»»

So you have to enter the Guiness W. of Records, because 190 milion people pronouncing, the words of their language, all in the same way without regional variations, really deserves an award.

««If you don't believe me, check out the Oxford Dictionary of Portuguese.»»

Why should I check out a dictionary if I speak with Brazilians everyday?

««brasileiro [brazi'leru] ''Brazilian''
cabeleireiro [kabele'reru] ''hairdresser'' »»

These two are correct but may have regional variations.

««ouro ['oru] ''gold'' »»

Most probably you will hear OURO [ouru].
['oru] is not so common, at least I never heard it pronounced that way.
But it is a possible regional accent.

João:
Young people do not pronounce different from their parents unless they are still learning to speak.
[Casha] pronunciation is for the word "Cacha", a journalistic jargon,and has another meaning in EuPortuguese.
You do not hear it in Lisbon but may hear pronouncing that way in other regions.

The meaning of CACHA:

"O substantivo cacha chegou ao português antes da época em que os jornais começaram a concorrer uns com os outros na busca de notícias. Trazia os seguintes significados: o que se pratica às ocultas; dissimulação; ardil. O dicionário da Porto Editora diz que é derivação regressiva do verbo cachar. Este, por sua vez, vem do provençal "cachar" ou do francês "cacher", com os significados de ocultar, tapar, armar ciladas.
Cacha e cachar adequam-se ao sigilo observado nos jornais para proteger da concorrência as informações que se obtêm "em primeira mão" e ainda necessitam de horas ou dias de pesquisa. O que não exclui, em situações extremas, alguns ardis.
A origem de cacha (jornalística) pode, pois, estar aqui: numa palavra provençal" [ciberduvidas]
Disk-Meia9   Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:23 pm GMT
''['oru] is not so common, at least I never heard it pronounced that way. ''

Then you really don't know zip on Brazilian pronunciation.
[ou] is used only in voltar [vou'ta(h)], solto ['soutu].
REAL MADRID SI SENOR   Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:52 pm GMT
i never knew barcelona was catalan, until i realize that the (c) in barcelona should be pronounce (K) in spanish. i also saw a cecilia once in barcelona.
Gringo   Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:39 pm GMT
««Then you really don't know zip on Brazilian pronunciation.
[ou] is used only in voltar [vou'ta(h)], solto ['soutu]. »»

Good thing you say that because that way I also know many Brazilians that do not know anything about Brazilian pronunciation. I am going to follow your instructions and start to correct them.... hehe.
JGreco   Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:59 am GMT
This arguing can get irrtating sometimes. I've heard the above words listed pronounced all the ways all of you are arguing about especially in Brazil were there is a different dialect spoken just by driving just outside of Sao Paulo. Heck, some of the pronunciations I've heard are even similar to how the spanish pronounce there words. I mean for example in Santa Catarina and Florianopolis (were the majority of my relatve are from at least on the Portuguese side), pronunciation is similar to pronunciations in Portugal. Accentuation and dialect is highly fluidious in Brazil.
Paulistana   Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:09 pm GMT
yes, Rio Grande do Sul accent sounds very much like Spanish, and they tend to go to Uruguay/Argentina for shows, concerts, museums. It's closer for them than going to Rio or S. Paulo