Accent Sample - guess where my accent is from

sunshine   Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:00 pm GMT
Many people have tried guessing my accent and not even one of them has guessed right.

I read an extract from wikipedia's article on "accent" and taped myself doing so, do understand that when I speak, my English is a little different than it is when I read, but overall, that is what I sound like.

Now I would like you to listen to my sample and guess where my accent is from, and also, if you can, say why you think that way:

http://homepage.mac.com/jambco/accent.mp3
guest   Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:10 pm GMT
India!
Guest   Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:13 pm GMT
I sense you are from Eastern Europe. Sounds slavic but not as obvious from other speakers of English from this region.
David   Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:18 pm GMT
Your accent is obviously modelled after an American English accent.
It's sounds very much like General American.
But when you said "New York City" and "reside", it didn't sound like a native speaker of American English would say it. I also think that the r's are a little bit "overpronunced".
But your English sounds so good, maybe I'm mistaken and you ARE a native speaker.

The answer to your question: I think your accent is based on North American (US or Canadian) pronunciation.
The linguistic   Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:18 pm GMT
Argentina
sunshine   Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:28 pm GMT
I also forgot to ask where you are from, the person guessing. It also affects the choice you make so it interests me...
The linguistic   Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:36 pm GMT
your answer will provide you with mine ;)
Guest   Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:37 pm GMT
Are you from Russia who has spent some time in USA? For a non-native speaker, your accent is nothing short of big accomplishment. Good job!
sunshine   Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:43 pm GMT
The linguistic said:
<<your answer will provide you with mine ;)>>

I will say where I'm from in a few days or when I think I've had enough answers.

What makes you think I am from Argentina though? This is actually the first time someone guesses Argentina, and also the first time someone guesses India, so I'd like to know what made you two guess those places.
Robin   Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:59 pm GMT
Your accent is definately not from India.

There was one word in the speech that I could not make out. I am not familiar with the expression 'linguistic case'.

I think the way that you pronounce 'traits' is a bit of a give away. You pronounce it, as I would pronounce it. A lot of English people pronounce it 'trays'.

Because of the subject matter, the way you speak suggest some form of American English.

I don't think that you are a native speaker.

It is very difficult.
sunshine   Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:11 am GMT
<<There was one word in the speech that I could not make out. I am not familiar with the expression 'linguistic case'. >>

Hah, yeah after hearing it again it does sound as if I had said case... ugh, I meant caste, "their caste or social class" is what I meant to say.

<<You pronounce it, as I would pronounce it.>>

And where are you from?

<<Because of the subject matter, the way you speak suggest some form of American English.
I don't think that you are a native speaker.>>

So you think I speak American English but not natively, so where do you think I am a native from?

I know it is difficult, I have no idea where I picked up this accent! That is what I'm trying to figure out by making people guess, and some of the guesses people have made (both here and in real life) are just confusing me more and more!

This is fun though, to see how confusing my accent is, and I thank you all for guessing!
Sho   Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:52 am GMT
Compared to Standard American English, your r's sound harder (or more noticable), and /dZ/ is closer to /Z/.

For a non-native speaker your accent is extremely good:) For the first couple seconds you sounded like a native speaker. Judging from your rhythm pattern, I suppose you are from Eastern Europe. I suppose your first language has a trilling r sound.
Benjamin   Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:59 pm GMT
I'm actually going to guess that you're from Portugal, because it sounds similar to the Portuguese woman I met in Germany a last month — except that she'd learnt British English, and you've learnt American English (or so it seems).
todosmentira   Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:23 pm GMT
Brazil?
Rick Johnson   Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:53 pm GMT
Germany