Accent Sample - guess where my accent is from

guest   Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:04 pm GMT
Anyway, fuck it - you're not a native English speaker so why should we be able to guess your accent?
Pete   Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:27 pm GMT
The accent is good. To make the r's a bit more natural, you should maybe link them with the next word beggining in a vowel. When you say "However a...", "for example", etc.

I can't quite place your accent. But it sounds clear and with a nice rythm :)

Pete
sunshine   Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:31 pm GMT
<<Anyway, fuck it - you're not a native English speaker so why should we be able to guess your accent?>>

You shouldn't "be able to guess", I never said you should know. And you also shouldn't take it personal. I just think it's interesting that I have a weird sound that's impossible to figure out, and I want to see what makes people guess things that are so far from reality, where I may have picked the specific accent I have, but geez if you're gonna be so sensitive about it maybe you shouldn't hang out in a web page like this.

PS: I never said I am not native.
Pete   Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:43 pm GMT
Sure, you may well be a native speaker. I don't know. Sometimes, when Spanish native speakers hear me talking, they come up to me and say: "You sound like a Colombian" or a very strange "Are you Brazilian? because your accent sounds a bit strange at times."

But I'm Peruvian. I suppose, when I'm tired, not concentrated, sad, drunk, or thinking in English or Italian, my accent ,or more possibly my intonation and pronunciation of certain words, when speaking my mother tongue may change a bit.
Els Segadors   Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:10 pm GMT
You are from Portugal .
nee_   Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:22 pm GMT
Well I can atleast say your pronunciation sounds different from native American or British... to what extent thats arguable....
Closest I could guess is that, the sound having influence of Indian or may be Chinese origins... sounds having some south asian influence... although thats really polished to a large extent... even wilder guess... South american... or may be Spanish... well not definitely Australian....
Well may be it sounds for me like Indian since I am an Indian... well that's the best I can guess...
Els Segadors   Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:27 pm GMT
Benjamin and me will win .

Some keys :

1) When at the second 18-19 she said " but people from Los Angeles " she sounds quite portuguese .

2) The way of pronouncing the " L " is quite similar in portuguese and some eastern european languages and that's why at the begining you think she's from Eastern Europe , is the first thing comes into your mind.

3) Etc.
Guest   Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:37 pm GMT
Poland
John   Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:51 pm GMT
I would guess Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan or Wales!
AUS   Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:58 pm GMT
I bet you are neither from Australia nor New Zeland nor Fiji.
AUS   Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:59 pm GMT
I bet you are neither from Australia nor New Zeland nor Fiji.
Guest   Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:04 pm GMT
Poland or Russia, ex-Yugoslavia, Czech-Republic, etc...
sunshine   Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:31 pm GMT
Thanx everyone for guessing. My accent is a mix probably because I've lived in several places in the world. I was born in Argentina, I have a very important Italian influence in my family, I lived in The Netherlands and I currently live in the West of the US, I've been here about 3 years.

Funnily enough, most people (both here and in real life) guess Eastern Europe, and I've never even been to an Eastern European country.
I know I speak nothing like an Indian or an Asian, I don't even understand people with those accents.
I may sound Portuguese because of my strong Spanish and Italian influence, Portuguese is kind of in between both.
I have been told I sound French a lot, I don't believe I do. I have some German ancestors so I thought the people who guessed Germany were mislead by my looks, but someone guessed German here, too, so maybe not.

So I know this wasn't a competition, if it had been, I wouldn't give the award to The linguist because he figured out I was from Argentina by visiting my web page (I changed the url now so you can't see it) which he got to by removing the last part of the link I posted, so that person is not the winner.

I would say the winner is nee_ because he/she guessed South American and that's where Argentina is so finally someone got it right.

Thanx everybody for guessing, it was interesting and it helped me out a lot. I really thought people didn't guess South America because I didn't have the stereotypical look Americans assign to South Americans, and I have been told before that I look slavic which is why I thought people always guessed Eastern Europe. Well, judging from most of your answers I guess I do have an Eastern European accent so that helped me a lot. And also I will try to work on my R sound, my DZ sound and some of my vowels.
Els segadors   Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:13 pm GMT
Ahora entiendo porque las vocales me sonaban muy familiares jajaja.
The linguistic   Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:49 pm GMT
<<So I know this wasn't a competition, if it had been, I wouldn't give the award to The linguist because he figured out I was from Argentina by visiting my web page (I changed the url now so you can't see it) which he got to by removing the last part of the link I posted, so that person is not the winner. >>

Sorry to disappoint you Sunshine, but I was unaware of any homepage :/
Having said that; I thank you for explaining how I reasoned around the origin of your accent, as well as my gender!. "impressive" :(