Hello Guest,

why you write only in big letters ? it's difficult read it for me :-(

But I agree with you, and we can apply this further :

Francophones are not all french.
anglophones are not all english

etc.....................

always people are forgetting this.
greg   Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:30 pm GMT
Brennus : « En Europe, I've heard that French, German and more recently English are the most studied languages while Spanish gets short shrift much like Serbocroatian and Romanian. »

Pas en France en tout cas. L'espagnol passe avant l'allemand.

Plus précisément, l'espagnol n'est presque jamais appris en tant que première langue (vivante) étrangère : pour 10 jeunes Français qui choisissent l'espagnol comme première langue étrangère, il y en a 150 qui choisissent l'allemand et 1.300 qui choisissent l'anglais.

En revanche, quand il s'agit d'opter pour la seconde langue (vivante) étrangère, les rapports s'inversent : pour 10 jeunes Français qui choisissent l'anglais comme seconde langue étrangère, il y en a 15 qui choisissent l'allemand et 65 qui choisissent l'espagnol.

En ce qui concerne la troisième langue (vivante) étrangère, pour 10 jeunes Français qui choisissent l'allemand comme troisième langue étrangère, il y en a 42 qui choisissent l'espagnol et 68 qui choisissent l'italien.
a.p.a.m.   Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:38 pm GMT
Roman Catholicism has something to do with it. Northern European countries are predominantly Protestant. Northern Europeans see Spaniards, Italians and Portuguese as lazy and less industrious than their own nations. The Protestant work ethic which has been espoused by the Protestant Northern European countries has contributed to a more serious approach to working and getting ahead whereas the Southern European countries (Roman Catholic) have been stereotyped as being lazy and lacking in initiative.
Guest   Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:57 pm GMT
Orthodox countries:

Greece, Cyprus, Russia, Georgia, Moldova, Belarus, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, FYR of Macedonia, Montenegro.

a.p.a.m., if you want a stereotype of lazy and lacking initiative countries the Southern European countries aren't the best countries to use as a model. All the Southern europen countries were great world leaders in many areas.
If you sum all the achievements of the southern countries compared with the northern countries, southern countrys are way ahead.
Pauline   Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:09 pm GMT
Hello Guest,

why have you put a list of orthodox countries ? I notice that many f thse are now economic poor countries (european standards), but greece and cyprs are not, and especially the greek hsotry is not to be looked down on.
Guest   Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:51 pm GMT
The souther catholic are to be looked down and not the Greek, is that what you mean?
Pauline   Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:48 am GMT
<< The souther catholic are to be looked down and not the Greek, is that what you mean? >>

i never look down on nobody.

For me , religion it's absolutely not a cause to look down on someone, but some of those countries on the list of orthodox ones are very cruel societies : how they're treating the orphans, disabled and ill people. In my opinion a country worth to respect, is a country what look after well the vulnerable.
Guest   Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:22 am GMT
The concentration camps had great work ethics.
Protestant work ethic: leave the bad payed long hours work to the poor immigrants. Explore the immigrants pretending they do not exist. Then say you work very hard.
a.p.a.m.   Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:41 pm GMT
It seems to me that there is a great divide between Southern Europe and Northern Europe in the spheres of language, culture, economics, world outlook, and general attitudes. The Spanish Language is looked down upon here in the United States because Spanish Language, culture and religion (Roman Catholicism) are viewed as alien and even contrary to the Anglo-Saxon culture, language and religion (Protestantism) of most Americans. I as an American citizen know that there is a great deal of hostility to the Spanish language. This is partly because of the massive illegal immigration of Spanish speaking people crossing the Rio Grande into our country. Many Americans view this as a threat to our Anglo-Saxon language and culture, and our quickly disappearing middle class way of life. I, personally have nothing against the Spanish Language or Spanish speaking people. I'm just saying that this is how many Americans feel. I know that, from conversations with Northern Europeans, their view of Southern Europeans is that they tend to be more lazy, and lack the drive, or will to work as hard as North Europeans do. The Protestant belief system is radically different than the Catholic one. Protestantism encourages a strong work ethic which was espoused by Martin Luther. Roman Catholicism is centered on devotion to the Church.
a.p.a.m.   Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:52 pm GMT
Guest "Southern European countries were great world leaders in many areas". True. But if you look at nearly all of the Nobel Prizes awarded, the vast majority of them were given to Northern Europeans. Guest "If you sum all the achievements of the southern Countries compared with the northern countries, southern countries are way ahead". I strongly disagree. Most of the technological advancements of the 20th century have been by Northern European countries. Look at the remarkable tech. achievements made by Germany, England, and the Scandinavian countries. The accomplishments by South European countries pale in comparison.
Guest   Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:29 pm GMT
"It seems to me that there is a great divide between Southern Europe and Northern Europe in the spheres of language, culture, economics, world outlook, and general attitudes."

Languages in the north west are Germanic in the south west are Romanics, this is a difference. World outlook and general attitude you see a difference from country to country.

"I know that, from conversations with Northern Europeans, their view of Southern Europeans is that they tend to be more lazy, and lack the drive, or will to work as hard as North Europeans do. "

This is stupid! The N. American hate for the Spanish speaking people (Mexicans, Colombians etc) does not happen in Europe. Of course you have those that are Nationalists and they even hate their neighbours. Normal, everyday people do not have this kind of feelings toward the South of Europe. Northen Europeans work as many hours as southern Europeans some work less.

"Most of the technological advancements of the 20th century have been by Northern European countries."

Try the centuries before, or the history of ciences starts in the XX century for you?

Do not try to say that the hate you people have in N. America towards the Spanish culture also happens in Europe, to excuse yourselves from your xenophobic attitude, and to say you look so much like North Europe because you don't. Unless you want to say your views are very nazi.
Guest   Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:36 pm GMT
" But if you look at nearly all of the Nobel Prizes awarded, the vast majority of them were given to Northern Europeans."

The Nobel prize is in N. Europe and is full of politics. Many great scientists, writers etc have been forgotten while others were awarded for political interests. There is much controverse in the awards. Do not use them as a measure of how much one countrie contributed. It only makes more evident how many other people work without recognition for their efforts.

"The awarding of Nobel peace prizes is often controversial but it is rare for the scientific laureates to generate significant opposition."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,1664215,00.html
a.p.a.m.   Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:25 pm GMT
Guest, the Southern Europeans had their day. Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, the rise of Spain and Portugal as world powers. Ever since approximately 1500 A.D., the sway has shifted to Northern Europe. Is the Spanish Language looked down upon here in America? Absolutely. In many cases, when I hear Spanish being spoken, the people in the immediate vicinity will begin to hiss, moan, and roll their eyes. I, personally like the sound of Spanish, so , it doesn't bother me. The same is true for Italian. I can remember when my parents would speak Italian in a public setting, others nearby would make negative comments. It's interesting to note that when a British accent, or a Scottish/Irish brougue is spoken, these very same people who have an aversion to Spanish and Italian would be pleased the hear the sound of British English, or English spoken by an Irishman or Scotsman. Guest "the history of sciences starts in the XX century for you". Guest, what kind of "technological" accomplishments were created before the XX century? In 1900, people were still riding around in horses and buggies, or in rare cases, electric streetcars. 99% of all of mankinds achievements have been since the very late 1800's and early 1900's. Guest, you accused me of being xenophobic and you've hinted that my views may be a bit Nazi. My response to you Guest, is that you're wrong. You don't know anything about me so shut the fuck up.
Pauline   Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:33 pm GMT
<< In many cases, when I hear Spanish being spoken, the people in the immediate vicinity will begin to hiss, moan, and roll their eyes. >>

how disgusting and racist behaviour

in Belgium it's more the opposite i think ; peopl like very much the spanish language and country (spain i mean)
a.p.a.m.   Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:43 pm GMT
Pauline, it is disgusting and racist behavior. I'm just telling you the way that many Americans feel. Most Americans have no acceptance of any other culture but their own. Most Americans have no awareness of other cultures either. The stereotype of the ugly American is at least partially true.