Uses of "have got/have gotten?"

Tiffany   Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:59 pm GMT
As if you've never gone on about how British English is the "original". Don't be a hypocrite now.
j   Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:44 pm GMT
<Adam

You mean Americans are too old-fashioned?>

Yes, it's partly true. Here's a excerpt from Wikipedia, article 'American English':

<English words that survived in the U.S.

A number of words and meanings that originated in Middle English or Early Modern English and that always have been in everyday use in the U.S. dropped out in most varieties of British English. Outside of North America, many of these words and meanings (some of which have cognates in Lowland Scots) either remained as regionalisms or were later brought back, to various extents, especially in the second half of the 20th century; these, for instance, include: mad "angry," hire "to employ," quit "to stop" (witness quitter), smart "intelligent," dirt "loose soil," guess "to suppose," dampen, oftentimes, supplemental, overly, presently "currently," meet with "to have a meeting with," baggage, hit (a place), and the verbs squire and loan.

Others are no longer in common use in Britain and are often regarded as Americanisms; for example, fall "autumn," gotten (past participle of get), sick (in general use meaning "ill"), obligate, acclimate, doghouse, broil, rider "passenger," sidewalk, pavement "road surface," faucet, spigot, coverall, necktie, range "cookstove," letter carrier, attorney "lawyer," misdemeanor (law), teller (in a bank), crib (for a child), plat, pillow "cushion," pocketbook, monkey wrench, candy, night table, to name for, station house, wastebasket, skillet, raise (a child), and diaper; some of these originated in 19th century Britain....>
Tiffany   Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:53 pm GMT
Good to know j :)
Cow   Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:40 am GMT
>> As if you've never gone on about how British English is the "original". Don't be a hypocrite now. <<

He just wants attention ;) He'll say anything to get it. Pay him no heed.
Larisa   Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:32 am GMT
Hey!
Can we say "he ain't, we ain't, you ain't and they ain't?" in AmE?
Are "I ain't have, you ain't have, he ain't have, we ain't have and they ain't have" correct?

Thanks in advance
Larisa   Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:42 am GMT
"I ain't got a..." or "I ain't got no...." What does it mean?
Thanks
Tiffany   Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:44 am GMT
<<Are "I ain't have, you ain't have, he ain't have, we ain't have and they ain't have" correct>>

These would be "I ain't got, you ain't got, he ain't got" etc.
Larisa   Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:24 pm GMT
ok but what does it mean plz? thank you
Guest   Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:54 pm GMT
>> ok but what does it mean plz? thank you <<

It means: "I don't have" in broken English.
Larisa   Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:15 pm GMT
Thanks for helping!!!!
JakubikF   Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:15 pm GMT
I've heard that "gotten" is an older form of "got". Am I right? The form "gotten" might be connected with "forgotten". Moreover, the forms "forgotten", "gotten" sound and look for me more "germanic" (I mean the ending -ten -en)
JakubikF   Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:21 pm GMT
In addition - "gotten" sounds for me more... nofty? grand? (I can't find the right word)
j   Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:32 pm GMT
<<Are "I ain't have, you ain't have, he ain't have, we ain't have and they ain't have" correct>>
Guest: It means: "I don't have" in broken English.>
---------------
What you call 'broken English', Wikipedia calls:

'African American Vernacular English (AAVE), also called African American English, Black English[...] It is known colloquially as Ebonics.

Negation

In addition, negatives are formed differently from standard American English:

* Use of AIN'T as a general negative indicator. It is used in place of "am not", "isn't", and "aren't" or even "didn't".
Rene   Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:19 pm GMT
You mean Americans are too old-fashioned? >

Hold on, one minute we can't resist changing things to suit us better and the next we're too old fashioned to keep up with the British?
Cow   Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
>> You mean Americans are too old-fashioned? >

Hold on, one minute we can't resist changing things to suit us better and the next we're too old fashioned to keep up with the British?
<<

Yeah lol. Although Adam's posts are childish, I enjoy reading them because they're so entertaining.

Adam: keep up the good work, dude.