Uses of "have got/have gotten?"

GI   Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:22 am GMT
Hi, all

hope you can help me, too...

I've had a case with gotten vs got that I couldn't explain: in a phrase "they've gotten on the Internet". It was an online exercise and my students kept getting error message when they tried to say "they've got on the Internet".
To me the first example sounds like something that has a more lasting or permanent quality than "they've got on...", although it may be just because I know the other version was not accepted...

I'm a non-native speaker and would be grateful for your help.
Cow   Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:16 pm GMT
Hmm. To me, "they've gotten on the Internet" sounds just a tad awkward. I would say: "They got on the internet." or "They've finally managed to get on the internet." "They've got on the Internet." is incorrect however.
SpaceFlight   Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
<<You mean Americans are too old-fashioned?>>

You contradict yourself, Adam. First you claim that British English is the "original" and now your saying that Americans are too old-fashioned, hence implying that British English is not the original. Which do you really mean?
Guest   Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:55 am GMT
>> You contradict yourself, Adam. First you claim that British English is the "original" and now your saying that Americans are too old-fashioned, hence implying that British English is not the original. Which do you really mean? <<

both, obviously.
SpaceFlight   Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:05 am GMT
<<both, obviously.>>

So he means that British English both is and is not the original. That doesn't make any sense.
Guest   Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:42 am GMT
>>
So he means that British English both is and is not the original. That doesn't make any sense. <<

No: simply that British English is the originals, but Americans are old-fashioned.
Me   Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:59 am GMT
The reason "I got"="I've got" is simply because the consonant "v" appears right before "g" and becomes silent when pronounced. Just like "gimme"="give me".
Nemo   Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:45 pm GMT
@Me:

Um. No... "I got" does not = "I've got", at least in American English. "I got" means "I received" as in: "I got it from my mother", whereas "I've got" simply means "I have": "I've got a pen."
Me   Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:32 pm GMT
Of course "I got" and "I've got" are different grammatically. But when you SAY "I've got", you don't actually pronounce the "'ve" part because of the previous reason I posted.

I'm not a native American English speaker, so I might have been wrong. Please correct me for any mistake.
Guest   Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:43 pm GMT
It depends on how formally you're speaking, I guess. But even when speaking informally, it is common to pronounce the "ve" at least sometimes. You really shouldn't use "I've got" at all in more formal speech, but if you did, you would always pronounce the "ve" for sure. Also, "gimme" is another lazy pronunciation, and "give me" is the correct way to say it. I'm an American, BTW.
Lazar   Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:46 pm GMT
In rapid speech I do often pronounce "give me" as "gimme", but I agree with Guest that it is very common (even in informal speech) to pronounce the "ve" in "I've got".
Nemo   Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:48 am GMT
I don't understand how you could possibly not pronounce the "ve" part of "I've got". If you did, it would sound just like "I got", which means something very different. I've never heard anyone leave off the "ve" part in "I've got", although I suppose some non-native speakers might. If any of you leave off the "ve" in "I've got", then that would mean that you also sometimes leave off the "ve" in "I've gotten", which would sound like *"I gotten", which, frankly I've never heard in my life, so I'm a little skeptical of the above posts, where people claim they sometimes leave off the "ve".
Daud   Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:58 pm GMT
i have heard a lot about got but sometime it makes me confuse,for example, you got to go to the university. this got makes me confuse and what is the exact mean of this got in this sentence.

If naybody can explain it to me i would be appreciated and send it to my mail add pragmakabul@yahoo.com

Regards,

Daud/
Milton   Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
is ''If I ain't got you'' correct?