Is Latin a waste of time?

Guest   Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:15 pm GMT
Does knowing latin helps improve writing? And other area such as sciences?
How many people have taking Latin courses?
Latin   Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:43 am GMT
Well, I'd say that it does help one know the etymology of many English words, but I would say knowing the grammar as well as the principle parts of words only helps with knowing Latin, and is of no practical value at all, except to allow you to read Latin, and makes it easier for one to learn another language's grammar. I'd say that most Latin classes focus 80% on the grammar of Latin, which does not help at all with anything but being able to read Latin. No, it does not help you with writing English. No, the grammar doesn't help you with science either--if you want to learn the roots of words, I would suggest an etymology course instead--then you can focus on the vocabulary without wasting your time with learning the grammar--unless you like learning grammar just for fun.
Lolly   Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:00 am GMT
yes it is
Gringo   Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:50 am GMT
I've learnt Latin on my own behalf. I've studied latin-vocabulary which has really help me out in English/Spanish/Italian/French, etc. If one desires to learn Latin at a deeper sense, he or she should definitely take a course at a university.

I say, Latin is not a waste of time. Because that's like saying all languages are a waste of time, which are Americans are known to profess amongst the masses. Which they "only" eulogize English.
Dawie   Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:28 am GMT
Saying that Latin will help you learn other languages is like saying that dating your girlfriend's grandparents will help you get to know her better.

If you were going spend all that time learning Latin, you might as well use that effort to directly learn the particular language you want to learn.
Gringo   Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:02 am GMT
Dawie,

You should start off by learning English. Look at your grammar^. Moreover, in the U.S learning Latin-vocabulary is beneficial for S.A.T's and other college entry examinations et al. I would like to address that Latin-vocabulary is extremely helpful when learning the romance languages and English itself.

"Saying that Latin will help you learn other languages is like saying that dating your girlfriend's grandparents will help you get to know her better."

The above passage is naive and puerile.

"If you were going spend all that time learning Latin, you might as well use that effort to directly learn the particular language you want to learn."

You're simply trivializing Latin to the elite or exceptional people with this statement. The idea is to get more people interested in Latin, so that he or she can excel in their tongue (i.e. Spanish, Italian, French & English).
Drujnik from Turkey   Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:17 pm GMT
I think Italian is the simlified form of Latin.And I believe there is no use of studying Latin after so many centuries.It will be much more useful to learn Italian or Spanish than learn Latin.Studying non-existing languages such as Sanskrit, Latin, Ottomanish, Old Greek is a waste of time really, I guess.But yeah, if you still insist on studying a non-existing language, yes nonetheless the best choice will remain Latin.
greg   Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:50 pm GMT
Étudier le latin, si tu en as l'occasion, est extrêmement important non seulement pour le plaisir de l'étymologie mais surtout pour embrasser les langues romanes dans une perspective diachronique.

Enfin, la connaissance du latin te donnera un accès privilégié aux Auteurs dans le texte sur une periode de près de 2.000 ans. Un atout inestimable.

Si tu es Britannique, la maîtrise du latin te permettra d'étudier une partie de la production écrite des institutions médiévales de ton pays (de la cour royale à la simple paroisse locale) — l'autre partie étant essentiellement de l'ancien français.
Gringo   Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:05 pm GMT
Gringo Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:50 am GMT
Gringo Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:02 am GMT

I did not write the above messages . It was my clone he did not even mention Portuguese. Bad mistake!

Anyway, to say it is necessary to learn Latin to "excel in their tongue(i.e. Spanish, Italian, French & English). " is a funny idea.
At least I have an educated and polite clone.
Ibson   Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:54 am GMT
It's more appropriate for us to study Tupy and Guarany than Latin.
Guest   Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:40 pm GMT
Who is us? It must be very useful to learn Tupi and Guarani. You can go to the jungle and speak with the native people that still speak those languages. There very few books in those languages. If you do not like to read and do not mind living in the wild.
a.p.a.m.   Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:22 pm GMT
Studying Latin is very beneficial. It will improve your English vocabulary, and it will also help you to speak and understand the Romance Languages as well. Knowledge of Latin will make you sound more articulate and more educated. Latin is not a dead language.
Gringo   Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:55 pm GMT
««Latin is not a dead language.»»

It is not dead, some people still use it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallsend_Metro_station

http://ephemeris.alcuinus.net/scientiae.php

ttp://www.yleradio1.fi/nuntii/

I would say if you want to learn Philology, Ancient History or Philosophy it is very important to know Latin. But I do not go as far as to say it will improve your learning of Romance languages. You already learn some Latin words when, for exemple, you study the evolution of the phonological system.

««Knowledge of Latin will make you sound more articulate and more educated.»»
Really, I do not understand your point of view.
LAA, Joaquin la caja!   Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:14 am GMT
The Latin language is perhaps the only language to be BEST preserved by the masses in ancient times. That is why it's the "only" well-preserved ancient tongue of the masses; to this day.
LAA   Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:18 am GMT
"quidquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur"