Learning two languages - in parallel or successively

Johnaeus   Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:48 am GMT
I am in the process of learning one (two) foreign language(s) and would like to maximize my efficiency.

In may case the two languages are in the same family (romance languages) very close one to the other: Spanish and Italian.

Firstly I wanted to learn Italian, but after some reflection and discutions I decided to start with Spanish for its utility. Nevertheless by learning Spanish the tenptation to compare it with Italian (and to learn a little Italian) exists (as Italian is still one of my future projects).

The question is: Should I go with the 2 in parallel or I should learn Spanish (more difficult for me) followed by Italian (easier for me).

I speak fluently English, French and Romanian.

Thank for your opinions,
Geoff_One   Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:51 am GMT
See the topic/thread on "Learning two languages".
ZhongGuoRen   Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:46 am GMT
Johnaeus,

In my opinion, Italian sounds more melodically than Spanish, though Spanish is more widely spoken by Latin Americans. If I have to make a choice between them to learn hard, I will absolutely choose beautiful Italian, and after being able to master Italian skillfully, perhaps I will turn to get Spanish started then.
Mandy   Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:37 pm GMT
I tried learning both Continental Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese but it's impossible since they are so different (syntax, pronunciation, lexicon, expressions) so, I decided to replace Cont. Pt. with Italian, that I find more useful. (It's the same amount of time and energy but less frustrating). I got a nice Dizionario Avallardi Italiano-Brasiliano and with it, learning is a joy. Also, a good book is ITALIANO PARA BRASILEIROS.
ZhongGuoRen   Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:49 am GMT
Mandy

Do you prefer Brazilian Portuguese to European Portuguese?
Just because Brazil has more than 180,000,000 population,
While Portugal has only more than 12,000,000 population?
Or you feel that Br.Portuguese sounds better than Euro.portuguese?
Thank you very much!
Mandy   Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:27 am GMT
Do you prefer Brazilian Portuguese to European Portuguese? YES
Just because Brazil has more than 180,000,000 population,
While Portugal has only more than 12,000,000 population? NO
Or you feel that Br.Portuguese sounds better than Euro.portuguese? YES
Thank you very much!
Maud   Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:02 am GMT
I tried learning both British English and American English but it's impossible since they are so different (syntax, pronunciation, lexicon, expressions) so, I decided to replace American English with German, that I find more useful.
Zingantren   Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:08 am GMT
Maud

Do you prefer American English to British English?
Just because the USA has more than 298,444,215 population,
While Britan has only more than 60,609,153 population?
Or you feel that British English sounds better than American English?
Thank you very much!
Marcia   Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:12 am GMT
Now that you guys mentioned I also tried to learn both Continental Spanish and American Spanish but it's impossible since they are so different (syntax, pronunciation, lexicon, expressions) so, I decided to replace American Spanish with French, that I find more useful.
ZhongGuoRen   Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:04 am GMT
European Spanish sounds better than Latin American Spanish,

But Brazilian Portuguese sounds better than European Portuguese,

And also, British English sounds better than American English.
Maud   Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:13 pm GMT
Do you prefer American English to British English? No
Just because the USA has more than 298,444,215 population,
While Britan has only more than 60,609,153 population? No
Or you feel that British English sounds better than American English? Yes
Thank you very much!
ZigZag   Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:16 pm GMT
My opinion:

Latin American Spanish sounds better than European Spanish.

European Portuguese sounds better than Brazilian Portuguese.

American English sounds better than British English .
Guest   Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:11 pm GMT
You do not need to have an IQ above 50 or a heart beat to write like the above messages , you just need to be brain dead.
Guest   Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:04 am GMT
i recommend that you learn the hardest languages first.
i know spanish and english. im learning french and will in the future learn italian. lastly i will learn portuguese. Portuguese should be the easiest for me since is simililar to spanish. french is the hardest so im learning that first.
Guest   Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:06 am GMT
Is better to go for hardest to easiest because once age hits you it can become a bit harder.