Indigo, Violet and Purple

Uriel   Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:52 am GMT
It really must be ... experienced.
Emma   Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:06 pm GMT
They're not the same colours!

Indigo is a sort of bluish colour were as purple is purple and violet is more of a lighter shade of purple
Ed   Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:05 pm GMT
They're all the same to me lol
Guest   Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:28 pm GMT
Violet is not a lighter shade of purple, it is a dark shade of purple. Indigo is blue, and is used in a dye to color denim. Lavender is a light shade of purple.
Jim   Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:13 pm GMT
No, violet is a blue shade of purple & indigo is bluer still.
cameron   Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:16 am GMT
Indigo is a distinct colour in its own right.

It occupies a very narrow band of wavelengths, and does not often occur in nature, which limitations tend to render it both visually and culturally obscure. (We tend to see indigo as dark blue, just as some cultures see orange as warm red). However, if you look at the night sky after sunset on a clear night, you will see four distinct colour bands, one of which is indigo. You see a band of high value mixed hues just above the horizon, with a second band of medium value sky-blue above that, and a low value "dark bluish" band above that -- there's your indigo. (The fourth band is directly up, and appears black).
Brien Nelson   Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:50 am GMT
I have been interested in this question for some time. I was noodling around and ran first across this thread then across a diagram on the Wikipedia. I thought I should return and pass it on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_circle
Anna   Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:55 pm GMT
response to an earlier comments... gold, silver are not really color words... they just describe metals... so that would mean you could call raspberry, asparagus, mint a color too...
and whats up with clear???? since when is that a color???? color is color... you cant say no color is a color... uh... GLASS HAS NO COLOR... or coloUr... haha... but in a way it does have color by the things that come through it... you should take some physics... haha... its all fine! were not in elementaty school anymore...
The physical primary colors are blue, green, and red... these are the only colors our eye really sees.. and the other colors are just a mixed response from those three... so the secondary colors really are yellow, cyan, and magenta... yep yep... you can try looking at a blue paper for 30 seconds... and when you look at a white paper immediately afterwards.. you notice a faint magenta color on the paper... haha
Jim   Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:40 am GMT
Our eyes don't really see blue, red and green. That they do is a myth.
Uriel   Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:45 am GMT
I suppose you could say that they are just stimulated by certain wavelengths of light, and the colors themselves are just constructs of our brains.
Jim   Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:33 am GMT
Yeah, that's what I would say but what I mean by the above is that it's not the wavelengths corresponding specifically to red, green and blue to which our eyes are sensitive. Rather the three different cones have different ranges of wavelengths to which they are responsive. The ranges overlap but peak at different wavelengths. None of them actually peak at red. The so-called red receptor actually peaks at yellow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_vision
Jim   Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:01 am GMT
Uriel   Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:51 am GMT
Very interesting! I suppose if the brain is predisposed to interpret certain stimuli in a certain way (such as "red") it doesn't necessarily matter what is actually doing the stimulating (even yellow light)!

I believe that is also the reason why pressing on your eyeball produces a pattern of light -- you are stimulating the optic nerve, which is linked to the vision centers of the brain. And the vision centers interpret ALL impulses coming to them as visual information, whether they are or not.
Jim   Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:23 am GMT
Also when you dream the colours you see are not produce by light but you can still call them "red", "yellow", "purple", etc.
Uriel   Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:59 am GMT
The human brain hallucinates pretty well!