Indigo, Violet and Purple

Jim   Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:14 am GMT
... probably the origin of Jimi's Purple Haze ... could've been violet, though.
Person   Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:06 pm GMT
Violet is spectral while purple is extraspectral
Jim   Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:49 am GMT
How, however, would one apply such a definition to every day life?

I see a colour with a hue somewhere between that of red and that of yellow and call it orange. Then a colour with a hue between yellow and blue and call it green. Then between blue and red ... and I want to call it something.

"Violet is spectral while purple is extraspectral" may work fine in the laboratory but what do I do if I absent-mindedly forget to bring my spectrophotometer along to the park and someone asks me about the colour of some flower ... is it purple ... is it violet ... what's its HVS colour space hue value, 270° ... 273° ... 276° ...?

Do we view colour like this outside of colour theory contexts? We certainly use to word "purple" outside of them. If we didn't have a word to cover colours between blue & red, would it not be necessary to invent one? Surely such a word would be more useful in everyday contexts that a word which means "between violet and red".

I think we do have such a word ... or at least in the everyday use of most English speakers. The word being "purple". The word's been around for a long time: before the days of Newton. Sure, the meanings of words change over time but if "purple" has come to denote those colours with extraspectral hues between violet and red, then isn't there a gap left in the language? On the other hand, we've got no one word to refer to red-pink.
Uriel   Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:10 am GMT
Well, in the electromagnetic spectrum, red and violet are at opposite ends of the visible band, and don't merge back into each other at all.

I thought red-pink was "rose".
Jim   Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:50 pm GMT
What about if you take violet light and project it onto a screen then take red light and project it onto the same spot? What if you take white light and filter the orange, yellow, green, blue & indigo out and then project that onto a screen? You'll get a purple spot.

Yeah, red-pink is rose. My mistake for not explaining what I meant. What I mean is that we have got not broad term with which to refer to all pinks and all reds. Light blue and dark blue are the same hue and we can call them both "blue". Same goes for light and dark green too. However pink and red are treated as distinct colours inspite of their having the same hue. By hue here I'm refering only to hue as perceived by the eye which may not be the same as the more precise sense of hue as used by colour theorists.

On another note: how about cyan, turquoise, aqua, teal, etc.? Do you see these as green? As blue? Do you see them as something else, as neither blue nor green but something in between.
Uriel   Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:28 am GMT
In between. And pink is really just a tint of red, although you're right, we usually treat it as a separate color.
Adam   Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:00 pm GMT
The Romans didn't differentiate between green and grey.
Uriel   Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:41 am GMT
Tan's just a light brown.
Jim   Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:29 am GMT
Yeah, I'd call tan a shade of brown, a light brown.