bomb

M56   Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:25 am GMT
Guest, wake up, listen and learn!

<'has provided' is definately in the past tense. >

That is the present perfect simple. OK? NOT the past tense.
Mandy   Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:28 am GMT
Excuse me, Guest, and a few others, but I am 14 years old and am trying to learn English here. Is it common for you to use the obscene words you are using here when you meet young teenagers or kids? I find it too much.
M56   Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:29 am GMT
Someone should be moderating people like Guest, Mandy.
12HA   Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:02 pm GMT
Sorry, M56.

Guest was right - "has provided" is past tense.
Calliope   Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:23 pm GMT
"Sorry, M56.

Guest was right - "has provided" is past tense."

Sorry, 12HA. M56 was right - "has provided" is present perfect.

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/presentperfect.html

I suggest you read this carefully.
12HO   Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:38 pm GMT
Sorry yourself.

Please explain to me how a past tense construction (have+past participle) can be present tense?
Guest   Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:51 pm GMT
M56:
Welcome. Your low intellect is par for the course in this forum!
I was not the one who said that. I was quoting from one of Robin's posts. Got that, retard? Or should I explain it more simply so that you can understand better?
M56   Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:53 pm GMT
<Guest was right - "has provided" is past tense. >

LOL! In your dreams.
12EE   Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:56 pm GMT
"LOL! In your dreams."

OK then. Explain why it's present tense.
M56   Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:00 pm GMT
<Please explain to me how a past tense construction (have+past participle) can be present tense? >

Do you understand the meaning of complex tenses? Do you know what "compound" means? Do you understand "aspect"?

If you can find an reliable grammar source which says that the present perfect is a past tense, please post a link to it here.
Guest   Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:02 pm GMT
I am "Guest", and I can explain to you that "has provided" is present PERFECT tense. "has" is a 3rd-person singular present tense form of the verb "to have", which in combination with the past participle of a verb forms a perfect tense of that verb. Since "has" is present tense, the form "has provided is the present PERFECT tense. M56 is a bit dense, and doesn't understand grammar very well. He can't figure out the difference between what a poster says and what they quote, either. Try to be patient with him.
M56   Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:06 pm GMT
<M56 is a bit dense, and doesn't understand grammar very well. He can't figure out the difference between what a poster says and what they quote, either. Try to be patient with him. >

So, apart from all that ranting, are you denying that the present perfect is a present tense/aspect?
12EF   Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:07 pm GMT
"Do you understand the meaning of complex tenses? Do you know what 'compound' means? Do you understand 'aspect'?"

Do you understand that how grammar works is a highly subjective and arbitrary question? Do you understand that what you might consider "tenses" is by no means authoritative?

Again, if something like "I've already eaten" can be considered present tense, I'm fascinated to know the reasoning behind that.
M56   Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:18 pm GMT
<Do you understand that what you might consider "tenses" is by no means authoritative?>

So, imagine you're in a teaching context, say in a secondary school, and the student asks you whether the present perfect is a present tense/aspect, a past tense/aspect or not a tense or aspect at all, what would you reply?
Guest   Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:21 pm GMT
<Again, if something like "I've already eaten" can be considered present tense, I'm fascinated to know the reasoning behind that. >

Why do you think the speak says it? What relevance does it have to the conversation he/she is involved in at that moment?