The dreaded R!!!

Jo   Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:47 pm GMT
Brennus was hast du denn gemacht? Wenn man keine Ahnung hat, kann man besser den Schnauze halten, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Fredrik aus Norwegen   Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:04 pm GMT
Thanks for your support, Pauline! I don't know if I speak very good German, but at least the Germans understand me, so I must be saying something right :-)

Meesh:
When you say you study the Hannover dialect of German I suppose you mean Hochdeutsch as spoken in Hannover. That variety is widely regarded as the most correct and accent-free German. But in reality Hannöverisches Hochdeutsch just means the same as the Queen's English or General American English.
Mordy   Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:14 pm GMT
Pauline (and everyone else)

What other forum or forums do you recommend?
Ikasi   Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:39 pm GMT
Pauline   Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:51 pm GMT
Meesh   Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:43 pm GMT
Please, guys, please do not be so hostile. If you feel the extreme need to badmouth someone (in this case, Brennus), please do so somewhere else. The reason Brennus deletes German threads is because you guys are always badmouthing him and digressing from the thread's topic, like in this case. This thread was supposed to be about the pronunciation of the German r and the pronunciation of the French r--NOT a thread about how much you guys dislike Brennus.

So please, take your drama elsewhere and leave me to my questions about German.

Meesh.
Pauline   Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:28 am GMT
Please, guys, please do not be so hostile. If you feel the extreme need to badmouth someone (in this case, Brennus), please do so somewhere else. The reason Brennus deletes German threads is because you guys are always badmouthing him and digressing from the thread's topic, like in this case. This thread was supposed to be about the pronunciation of the German r and the pronunciation of the French r--NOT a thread about how much you guys dislike Brennus.

So please, take your drama elsewhere and leave me to my questions about German.

Meesh.

Okay, I will not tell you nothing more about german. Learn it from Brennus : no german will understand you, but you adore Brennus so it's the more important thing for you, evidently. Proabbly you *are* Brennus to say that he's so knowledgable.

We did not badmouthed him on the threads what were deleted.

How you know what we've written ?It was in *german*, a language you don't speak (Brennus don't speak but maybe you're Brennus, meesh)

We 've written about the german r, and mentioned Brennus because what he's put was absolutly nonsense and incorrect about german.

Good luck with your love of Brennus (probably yourself).

Why you've written that we're digressing from the topic ? we were discussing german and the correct pronunciation of r and robot. Baht is american and not at all german.

There's no point explain you this because you don't have interest for learning a language, just flattering Brennus. He';s a very ignorant person, so he will be happy to have a fan : Meesh. Nobody other is fan of him. Mostly everyone find him annoying and stupid.
Meesh   Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:49 am GMT
I'm sorry you feel that way, Pauline. And I'm sorry that you think I am Brennus.

My goal is to ask questions and get them answered without there being controversy or hostility among the responses. I am not trying to *flatter* Brennus. Rather, I am trying to show him that we are not all like you--we aren't deliberately trying to get our own posts deleted. I just want to show him that there are sincere people who have questions and want them answered.

Is it so bad to promote peace and try to facilitate civil interaction between people with like interests?

Meesh.
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:13 am GMT
I wouldn't say that Brennus is ignorant or stupid. In some fields he is very knowledgeable, but when it comes to Germanic languages he displays both ignorance and paranoia. Just because Latin vs. Germanic extremists were fighting each other savagely on some insane threads, he closed some German threads in German, because he, unable to understand the language and thus to read our cozy chit-chat, assumed it to be as pointless as the Latin vs. Germanic flame war.
Pauline   Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:40 pm GMT
Meesh wrote : " I am not trying to *flatter* Brennus. Rather, I am trying to show him that we are not all like you--we aren't deliberately trying to get our own posts deleted. I just want to show him that there are sincere people who have questions and want them answered".

How you know how I'm like ? i'm not deliberatly trying to get my own posts deleted.

When I visited Antimoon, I wanted to improve my english and then I've written on the germna thread because there were interesting discussions in german and very nice people. Then I've created some threads in dutch for discuss this language. Without be able understadning those threads brennus deleetd all.

I'm sincere person I don't like that you say I'm not.

You have some questions, but what's the point if Brennus answer them about german and his answers are completely incorrect ?For ask a question about a lnaguage it's better aks it to a person who knows the language !!!
-------------------------------------------------------------

meesh wrote :Is it so bad to promote peace and try to facilitate civil interaction between people with like interests?

i don't try this things because I can't and don't knwo how. I didn't never tell that I can get on well with peopl, but, I've interest to learn foreign langauges and I can speak 5 languages.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Fredrik from Norway wrote :
I wouldn't say that Brennus is ignorant or stupid. In some fields he is very knowledgeable, but when it comes to Germanic languages he displays both ignorance and paranoia. Just because Latin vs. Germanic extremists were fighting each other savagely on some insane threads, he closed some German threads in German, because he, unable to understand the language and thus to read our cozy chit-chat, assumed it to be as pointless as the Latin vs. Germanic flame war.

Brennus is very ignorant of dutch and german. He didn't had an idea what have we written on those dutch and german threads. It was about for exemple poems, grammar, differences dutch/german etc.. but he deleted all because he didn't understood it.

On many other threads there were nasty things written but brennus dont'deleted them because he can understand.

It's not just moderation, and ignorance is the reason.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to write down my opinion, but from now I don't visit this thread because i must avoid arguments and stress because then I would become ill. I don't know why brennus deleted all our nice threads it was mean and nasty just because he don't understand this languages.

Bye.
Guest   Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:54 pm GMT
Meesh,

we all are just humans, we like to communicate on language topics and beyond. If you are discussing language topics, there will always be ''digressing from the thread's topic, like in this case''. This also holds for other forums and other topics than language. You can't avoid it, it's just human. Language is for discussing everything! So, up to a certain degree, a moderator should accept digression from the thread's topic. In the German thread Brennus deleted, there were on topic postings, too. There was no need to delete the whole thread, he could have deleted the posting obviously being off topic, i.e. the ones done by Sander on Dutch language. Even if Brennus doesn't understand German and Dutch, he could have browsed the postings searching for this keywords or ask someone else who understands German. Or he could have posted some warnings before deleting!

By the way, Meech, see http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t5774.htm for an answer I posted to your question there.

Pauline,

nice to have you here again!

Back to the topic:

For me as a German native speaker, I don't bother about how the /r/ is actually pronounced by foreign people. I think it's hardly possible to speak a foreign language without accent. In a Turkic textbook I once read, there were much about pronounciation and stress. Now, I attend a Turkic course at university, but pronounciation and stress are hardly mentioned. (Yes, one time I was corrected about the wrong pronounciation of the r!) To my mind, paying too much attention on pronounciation doesn't help in leaning a language, especially if the actual variant of the sound doesn't matter as is the case with German /r/. If I were a foreigner trying to learn German, I wouldn't mind about dialects. Focus on learning Hochdeutsch. I'm no linguist, but I think you confuse the terms ''Hochdeutsch'' and ''Oberdeutsch''
Pauline   Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:04 pm GMT
Guest wrote :

Pauline,

nice to have you here again!

Thank you, Guest :-)

It annoy me very much, that Meesh has written that Brennus deleted our threads because we've badmouthed him. Meesh has *not* read the threads so how he / she can know ? He/ she don't have an idea at all.

Also, Meesh, I agree with Guest : when you're beginner learning german, it's not important exactly how to pronounce r. The best thing is listen very often some german-speakers, then you will become accustomed to german pronunciation. but, it's evidently not german what interest you : it's Brennus.

If you're interested to learn german, then you don't ask Brennus how to pronounce r or g because you can hear it when german-speakers are talking, and anyway brennus can't speak german. Why you don't ask me how must you pronounce r or g in arabic ? I can give you an explication similar with Brennus's about german because I can't speak arabic.

guest, I didn't returned to Antimoon but I've holidays from school and I'm bored LOL !!! It's only stress on this forum. It's much nicer at Langcafé and there it's with people who *can* speak other languages, not people who ask stupid ignorant questions, insult us and then a moderator who give incorrect answers and delete all the threads in languages who he can't understand.

Eigentlich habe ich endlich Mal einige Stunden frei und ich weiss nicht was ich tun soll ; ich bin einfach nicht daran gewöhnt. Mein bester Freund kan nicht besuchen wegen seiner Familie - er wohnt weit weg und kann nur reisen wenn seine Mutter ihm mit dem Auto fährt. Guest, hast du tolle Festtage gehabt ? Ich fand Weihnachten schön. Hast du Pläner um etwas den 31. Dezember zu tun ? Ich bleibe zu Hause, weil den 1. Januar muss ich einewochelang weggehen. Aber ich wünsche dir alles Gute zum neuen Jahr, und viel Geduld mit alle die blöde Sachen, die hier auf dem forum geschrieben weredn : es irritiert mich alles zu viel. Wenn du Lust hast, bist du wilkommen Langcafé zu besuchen, obwohl es kann sein, dass du schon das tust - ich habe keine Ahnung wer du bist, Guest !! Tschüss.
Jo   Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:46 pm GMT
Just because Brennus is knowledgeable in some things, should make him aware he doesn't know it all. That's the beginning of knowledge.
Also he should have had the balls to explain himself for what reason he ever deleted the innocent 'German' thread, rather than just saying 'off topic' of something he could not even know what is was all about.
Power in little people's hands is the most dangerous of weapons.

Paulien: Relax and have 'Gelukkig Nieuwjaar'.
Pauline   Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:27 pm GMT
Hi Jo,

Wat leuk jou nog een keer te ontmoeten : sinds enkele weken, misschien zelfs maanden ben ik je helaas niet tegengekomen.

Bezoek jij nooit langcafé ? Ik bezoek namelijk dit forum niet meer, want zoals ik schreef vind ik het haartsikke irritant wat de domme mesnen schrijven. Jammer, want er zijn ook erg aardige daartussen, maar alles wordt kapot gemaakt.

die verhalen die wij toen verzonnen hebben over uilen en andere dieren waren zo grappig. ik moet jou iets grappigs vertellen : S....R was een weeklang verboden langcafé te bezoekn nadat hij weer opnieuw mij beledigde. LOL !!!

Ik wens jou een gelukkig nieuwjaar en ik hoop dat wij in 2007 meer zullen chatten hier of op langcafé. Je bent plotseling verdwenen van het ander forum en ik hoop dat je niet ziek bent geweest.

Groetjes,
Pauline
Guest   Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:58 pm GMT
>> >>Thus a word like "Robot" sounds something like "Rho-baht."<<

"baht" like [bat]? Or "bâtt" as in [bAt]? No. It's a closed up "bot" = [bOt] or even [bot]. <<

Actually Brennus was right. In some North American dialects that have the low back merger, such as the Western dialect "ah" is pronounced as [O] (like in "caught"). In my dialect this is the case. So, yes "robot" with [O] could be accurately represented as "rhobaht".