George W Bush's accent

Guest   Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:54 am GMT
In the D'ub'-U accent, how would you pronounce "nucleate" and "nucleus"?
Guest   Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:48 am GMT
>> In the D'ub'-U accent, how would you pronounce "nucleate" and "nucleus"? <<

Nookyoolate and nyookyoulus.
Guest   Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:51 pm GMT
He talks slow, holding his syllables a bit longer than most Americans, and pronounces as if has been zapped with a cattle prod or poked with a sharp stick, "EEOEEOEE"
Ashley   Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
I just find it funny how he says dubya for "W". I say Double-U for "W"
Guest   Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:21 pm GMT
People who pronounce "nuclear" as "nucular" do not necessarily pronounce "nucleate" and "nucleus" as "nuculate" and "nuculus". In fact, some of those people distinguish "nuclear" (pronounced "nuclear") meaning "of the nucleus" from "nuclear" (pronounced "nucular") meaning "of nuclear weapons". Of course, nuclear weapons are so called because of the nuceli of atoms that split apart to make the blast. Nevertheless, the pronunciation "nucular" is sometimes limited only to the weapons ("nukes"), and not extended to other uses of the word "nuclear" and its relatives.
Guest   Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:24 pm GMT
This thread is called "George W Bush's accent" but it seems most attention has focused on his pronunciation of the word "nuclear". While I acknowledge that his pronunciation of that word is non-standard, I dispute the idea that that has anything to do with his accent. Lots of people might pronounce the word "nuclear" as "nucular" regardless of accent. I wish some attention might be paid to the other aspects of his pronunciation which might more legitimately be referred to as making up his "accent" (as distinct from his general "way of speaking").
Guest   Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:52 pm GMT
Remember this game? (Duke Nukem)

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/02/dukenukemnever.jpg

How would he pronounce that?