Unnoticeable, Wired, funny, Terrible mistakes

Guest   Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 am GMT
English:
Making mistakes in grammar is not advisable, but in some languages I guess there is kind of a tolerance for unnoticeable mistakes when spoken. Of course in English if you talk about a women and refer to her by using the “he” (which many Asians do such a mistake), that would look so weird, but I am sure there should be some room for mistakes without being noticed or called wired. Being not a native English speaker would like to see how native speakers look at non-native speakers: what mistakes you don’t notice, what mistakes make you laugh, which ones are wired, which are terrible...?

German:
On the other hand, I am studying German now and God so many grammars and endings in the language. So my question is the same regarding unnoticeable/funny/weird/terrible mistakes. How does that go in German language?

Thanks
Belanova   Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:51 am GMT
à mon avis il y a beAcouP. J'allais chez mon oncle un jour et j'ai fait la connaissance d'un chinoise qui m'a parlé vite, vous savez la langue des chinois, ils parlent vite comme un motorcycle. elle m'a dit en anglais
-you know where washroom
je l'ai dit où se trouvais les cabinets mais il n'a pas compris ce que je l'ai dit et elle a dit
-what me don't understand. me speak english little.
Franco   Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:03 am GMT
There are so many foreigners speaking english these days you don't notice mistakes much at all, especially on the internet.
Guest   Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:01 am GMT
>>what me don't understand. me speak english little.<<

These are primitive mistakes.
2992   Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:11 am GMT
being not a native engl. speaker, I do believe that as long as you're making yrself understand and you're also understand what the other wanna say, grammar mistakes should be commonly accepted.
Am I wrong?
-----------------------
"I hate spam" - yeah, sure...
Presley.   Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:32 am GMT
Yes, 2992. Completely.

dnt B fooling yrslf w/stupid grammar shortcuts. You're not as clever as you think. Grammar is an essential part of a language.

You're just making a fool of yourself when you don't have correct grammar.
2992   Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:16 am GMT
Presley...

you (peoples) can make yourself looking like a stupid person if you're a native english speaker and make grammar mistakes.
As a non-native speaker... I believe they can be accepted... as long as you're not heading to become an En teacher or something like that...
Considering En as being just a third party language used ONLY for communication, not for making poems, I still believe that some grammar mistakes should be commonly accepted.

(I don't wanna mention grammar mistakes native english speaker are making when they are speaking another language... if they know any :P )
------------------------
"I hate spam" - yeah, sure...
Guest   Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:35 pm GMT
to 2992:

A title of one of the threads is: setting one’s own standard”. Obviously your own standard is to speak with mistakes. My own standard is to talk without mistakes, others have even different standards.

It is up to you to keep talking with mistakes "AS LONG AS YOU ARE..."

got the point?
Seljuk   Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:24 pm GMT
Oh God I've decided that the race which speak English worst is definitely French! They are so megalomanic about their language that they don't even think of learning one another.Although Italian is thought to be the best language ever on earth, French people cannot stand this thought.I regard Italian the best language as almost everybody thinks and French can be just fifth or sixth best regarded language.
Eric   Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:04 pm GMT
"the race"
Not such a thing. Mankind is a race. French is a nationality.

"They are so megalomanic about their language"
Wow, and you asked every single French person about it before coming to that conclusion, no doubt.

"they don't even think of learning one another"
More like we don't need to.

"Although Italian is thought to be the best language ever on earth, French people cannot stand this thought"
Sure. We check everyday our language rank (decide by whom, btw?) and we feel good only if it makes it to the first place.
Guest   Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:39 pm GMT
I've never seen a shit like you!
1-Then what do people use "race" word for?
2-This is a general thought about your NATIONALITY! (Kick you now that you are down!I used your word.)
3-No, you need to as much as we do.Because the ratings about most widely spoken languages is that way:
Chinese* (937,132,000)
Spanish (332,000,000)
English (322,000,000)
Bengali (189,000,000)
Hindi/Urdu (182,000,000)
Arabic* (174,950,000)
Portuguese (170,000,000)
Russian (170,000,000)
Japanese (125,000,000)
German (98,000,000)
French* (79,572,000)
4-Yes, you are sorry for that your language isn't respected as it was in the 19th century and it is declining day by day.In Turkish there is such a proverb: "Cat calls the meat which it couldn't reach "bad" ;)
Guest   Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:10 pm GMT
About the French »they don't even think of learning one another" .

Actually while many Brits go thru French at school they can't ever speak it.

Loads of French speak excellent English.
Seljuk   Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:29 pm GMT
Naaaaah! Even a French professional on English language was speaking with an awful accent on TV5 in a recent day.He spoke English with almost a French accent.French people are even more incapable of being able to speak English than Japanese, Italian or even Russian...By the way, the message giving statistics above belongs to me...
Eric   Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:43 pm GMT
"I've never seen a shit like you! "
No comment.

"This is a general thought about your NATIONALITY!"
And a thought is always gospel truth, honest.

"No, you need to as much as we do".
In most cases, a French person lives among other French people. But if you're going to insist they need to speak other languages to do so, fine, go for it.

"Yes, you are sorry for that your language isn't respected as it was in the 19th century"
Absolutely. You have totally exposed the essence of the physiological and psychological needs of the "French race".
Franco   Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:39 am GMT
<<"the race"
Not such a thing. Mankind is a race. French is a nationality. >>

Yes mankind is a race, a race to see who will be the first to that place.

There is a French race too which is a subsection of the overall race, the first French national to reach that place.