Irish St.Patrick' s day

Guest   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:39 pm GMT
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Scotland's St Andrew was born in Bethsaida, east of the River Jordan, which is probably in modern day Israel.>>>>>>>>> not if its east of the river jordan.
O'Bruadar   Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:30 pm GMT
Found this today about St. Paddy.

“For most of Christianity's first thousand years, canonisations were done on the diocesan or regional level. Relatively soon after the death of people considered to be very holy people, the local Church affirmed that they could be liturgically celebrated as saints. As a result, St. Patrick has never been formally canonised by a Pope, but he is still widely venerated in Ireland and elsewhere today.”

I reckon this is where I got the idea that the Church had never officially declared St. Patrick to be a Saint (And again I reckon that the point could be argued either way. That would be splitting hairs though wouldn’t it?)

By the way, I said in a previous post that I am not Irish. I of course meant that I am not a citizen of Ireland. I most certainly claim Irish blood (and a good deal of it).

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2007/0314/features/034.html
21EA   Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
"By the way, I said in a previous post that I am not Irish. I of course meant that I am not a citizen of Ireland. I most certainly claim Irish blood."

So, like me, you're as Irish as you choose to be. That's because "Irish" can be used to refer to:

1. Someone who was born and/or resides on the island of Ireland.

2. A citizen of the Republic of Ireland.

3. Someone who is of Irish descent.
Polly   Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:07 pm GMT
Thanks to Mike and all of you who have posted a message. I wanted somebody to correct the English of what I wrote rather than the content, but I must admit I've learnt a lot not only about St. Patrick but also about St. Andrew and St. David. Being Spanish, or should I say Catalan? myself, I wasn't completely sure my English was correct.
Thanks to you all.