Questions with 'have'

Josh Lalonde   Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:50 pm GMT
The standard form for this in my dialect is "Do you have..." but I've heard "Have you..." and "Have you got..." in other dialects. What do you all have for this?
Travis   Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:53 pm GMT
I normally use "do you have", but I will occasionally use "have you" for effect even though such really is not a native usage in my dialect.
Travis   Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:59 pm GMT
Actually, in informal speech I also frequently use the uninverted form without "do", "you have", and such may show up occasionally in more formal speech as well.
Lazar   Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:48 pm GMT
I normally use "do you have".

I would use the uninverted form if I wanted to confirm something, or if I expected an affirmative answer.

"You have the DVD?"
furrykef   Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:27 pm GMT
"Have you a banana?" is British usage, though it wouldn't be considered wrong in the American dialect (but it'd seem unusual). "Have you got a banana?" could be used in either dialect. And, at least in American colloquial speech, you can say "You got a banana?" or even just "Got a banana?"

- Kef
Humble   Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:28 am GMT
<I will occasionally use "have you" for effect >
For what kind of effect, Travis?
Travis   Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:43 am GMT
>>For what kind of effect, Travis?<<

Usually an emphatic one, it seems.
Andy   Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:54 pm GMT
"Have you a banana?" is British but most English people round my manor would say "Have you got a banana?". The "American colloquial" versions are used here too.
Josh Lalonde   Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:35 am GMT
<<I would use the uninverted form if I wanted to confirm something, or if I expected an affirmative answer.

"You have the DVD?">>

I forgot about this form; yes, I use it too. There's also a slightly different one, where you're hoping for an affirmative answer, but dreading a negative one. The difference is in the intonation. If I say "You have the DVD?" with a normal question intonation (ie. rising at the end), it's just confirming what I already now or assume. If I say "You HAVE the DVD," with a yes-no question intonation and a slight rise on 'have', it means "you didn't forget the DVD (again) did you?". These are the kinds of subtle distinctions that I think make languages so hard for second-language students because they're almost impossible to teach.
Leidja   Tue May 01, 2007 6:19 am GMT
yes...I am foreigner in this country (USA) and I find difficulties!
I alway seem to make mistakes and mix the prepositions (I think is the hardest part since little rules exist) It sounds so weird!
People mix the present perfect (have you) with Yes/No possession question:
Have you been to Europe? - present perfect
Do you have money? - possessive!!!
However...I'll never lose my accent!! WHY!!!!
Humble   Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 am GMT
Come, come, Leidja. Take it easy. Your accent may just be charming.
Leidja   Wed May 02, 2007 6:11 am GMT
Thank you Humble,
Have   Wed May 02, 2007 9:08 am GMT
No one in English will say "do you have a light?" It would be "have you got a light". Also the answer is "yes, I have" and not "yes, I do". In this case it is a genuine dialectal difference. Probably the US version is more conservative? Any thoughts on that?
Liz   Wed May 02, 2007 12:02 pm GMT
<<No one in English will say "do you have a light?" It would be "have you got a light". Also the answer is "yes, I have" and not "yes, I do". In this case it is a genuine dialectal difference. Probably the US version is more conservative? Any thoughts on that?>>

Why not? There is nothing wrong with that. Some people say so and it's just as "correct" and valid as "have you got...". And you can answer "yes I do", too.

Oh...you mean British English. Then you are right - "have you got...?" is much more frequent (as far as I'm aware).
David   Wed May 02, 2007 3:11 pm GMT
Liz, the post above was mine under the name "Have". Must be a collection of typos that turned David into Have.

When did "have you got?" take off? And are there other examples of where US English is more conservative that English in its homeland itself?