Which is the second most important language?

Ornella   Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:43 am GMT
You are wrong. According to several reports the second most studied is Spanish.

In the last 10 years French is losing a lot of students. English, Spanish and Chinese (only these 3 languages) are increasing the number of students.

French is minoritary in North America, South America, and Asia-Pacific.
Guest   Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:57 am GMT
You're very wrong Spanish and Chinese are not attractive to learners of foreign languages. my goodness why do you always insist Spanish?
From Sweden   Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:04 pm GMT
In our country, after English, Spanish is the most studied language. Third is German and fourth is French.
Guest   Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:38 pm GMT
In my country is Maya, Indonesian and Bongo Bongo
John   Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:07 pm GMT
In New York the second language is Spanish.

En Nueva York la segunda lengua es Español.
A-S   Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:33 pm GMT
<<You are wrong. According to several reports the second most studied is Spanish.

In the last 10 years French is losing a lot of students. English, Spanish and Chinese (only these 3 languages) are increasing the number of students.

French is minoritary in North America, South America, and Asia-Pacific>>

Extract of Wikipedia:
"French as a foreign language is the second most frequently taught language in the world after English."

No tengo nada contra españoles, contra los hispánicos, contra sus culturas maravillosa y envoutante, deseo dar solamente informaciones correctas. No tome esto por una " french arrogancia " de mi parte...

Muchas Gracias!

It's possible that I made a mistake, I think it's possible that Spanish become the future big universal language, but not still.

Español= 100 million second language
Français= 250 million second language

(wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers)
Henry   Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:08 pm GMT
I have other data and figures:

1. 1st language knowledge around the world by country

The following list shows the total number of speakers of a given language as native speakers (in descending order of total native speakers) according to the World Almanac and Book of Facts 2002:

Chinese, Mandarin 874 million
Hindi 366
Spanish 358
English 341
Bengali 207
Portuguese 176
Russian 167
Japanese 125
German, Standard 100
Korean 78
French 77
Chinese, Wu 77
Javanese 75
Chinese, Yue 71
Telugu 69

(Source: The World Almanac and Book of Facts 2002; New York: World Almanac Books.)

See also: http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/ssrg/linguist/top100.htm

{Back to the Top}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. 2nd language knowledge around the world by country

The following list shows the total number of speakers of a given language as non-native speakers. Remember, the degree of knowledge will vary a great among those considered to "speak" the language non-natively. Also, there may be other languages which should be among the items in the list but which were not available in the source list.

Mandarin 190 million
English 167
Hindi 121
Malay-Indonesian 118
Russian 110
Spanish 67
French 52
Arabic 45
German 28
Portuguese 16
Bengali 5
Japanese 1

(Source: The World Almanac and Book of Facts 2000; Mahwah, NJ: PRIMEDIA
Reference, Inc.)

{Back to the Top}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. 1st and 2nd language (combined) knowledge around the world by country

The following list shows the total number of speakers of a given language (including non-native as well as native speakers of that language). Remember, the degree of knowledge will vary a great among those considered to "speak" the language non-natively. Also, there may be other languages which should be among the items in the list but which were not available in the source list.

1.Mandarin 1,075 million
2.English 514
3.Hindi 496
4.Spanish 425
5.Russian 275
6.Arabic 256
7.Bengali 215
8.Portuguese 194
9.Malay-Indonesian 176
10.French 129
11.German 128
12.Japanese 126

(Source: The World Almanac and Book of Facts 2000; Mahwah, NJ: PRIMEDIA
Reference, Inc.)

So, your figures and data are wrong, mon ami. French is very spoken, but there are 9 languages more spoken than your language, and all of them more important than your language.
Guest   Tue May 01, 2007 12:59 am GMT
<<In our country, after English, Spanish is the most studied language. Third is German and fourth is French.>>

In Sweden, English is compulsory in primary, French and German are required in secondary. Spanish is studied only in foreign language school.

Don't believe From Sweden he's a hispanic in disguise again.
A-S   Tue May 01, 2007 10:06 am GMT
Si tu le dis "My dear henry", je n'ai rien contre que l'espagnol soit plus parlé que le français dans le monde, je le sais déjà, tu n'a pas besoin de me donner tes données qui sont pour la plupart obsolètes et erronées, je ne suis pas là pour faire de la concurrence avec les autres, je suis là pour m'instruire, et non me battre contre des francophobes irraisonables.
-----------------
If you say it "My dear henry", I have nothing against that Spanish is more spoken than French in the world, I already know it, you doesn't need to give me your data which are for the greater part obsolete and erroneous, I am not there to make of the competition with the others, I am there to educate myself, and not fight against irraisonables francophobes.
--------------
Y estoy seguro que la inmensa mayoría de los que defienden atrevidamente español, no son capaz de decir una frase correcta.
i Aprenda de otros antes de decir imbecibilidades !

"Sol lucet omnibus"
Lafayette   Tue May 01, 2007 12:18 pm GMT
Whether these Francophobes like it or not, French is much more important than Spanish in world affairs. They better stop conditioning their minds ans the people of the world that it has surpass French.

The world knows the lasting and useful contribution of France and the Francophone world.

More people in the world speak French as a second language outside Francophone countries and that is the sign that it is indeed a world lingua franca and international language.
Guest   Wed May 02, 2007 1:23 pm GMT
"Excluido el inglés, el español es el único idioma europeo que crece, y espectacularmente, en plena ofensiva china de la afloración de los institutos Confucio y de la siembra de los centros de enseñanza del árabe financiados por los saudíes. Como la India y el propio condominio lingüístico que forman España y América Latina, también ellos están haciendo valer su peso demográfico en este mundo cambiante abocado a nueva configuración geoestratégica de los espacios de poder e influencia.

Mientras el Goethe Institut alemán sopesa el cierre de algunas de sus sedes y la centenaria Alliance Française asiste alarmada a la contracción de la demanda -centros infrautilizados se han abierto a la enseñanza del español-, el joven Instituto Cervantes prosigue su expansión e inaugura en Madrid una sede central que por su potencia y características arquitectónicas parece una alegoría de la fortaleza y del renovado valor de la lengua

Algunos estudiosos de la comunicación internacional piensan incluso que el español puede competir directamente con el inglés. Como el lingüista británico David Graddol -"el español ganará la partida al inglés en 2050",- y expertos en proyección estadística de la Británica Word Data de Chicago que anuncian que en 2030 los hispanohablantes supondrán el 7,5% de la población mundial, unos 535 millones, frente al 2,2% de los hablantes de ruso, el 1,4% de los francófonos y el 1,2% de personas de habla alemana.

Si esas proyecciones se confirman, el 10% de los habitantes del planeta se expresará en español a la vuelta de tres o cuatro generaciones. Más aún, un estudio encargado por la Unesco contempla la posibilidad de que la cuarta parte de la humanidad hable español a mediados del presente siglo".

"España descubre el petroleo de la lengua" El Pais, 24 de marzo de 2007
Le Courageux   Wed May 02, 2007 1:58 pm GMT
La qualité est plus importante que la quantité. On ne croit pas le rapport de Institut Cervantes. Il est plein des anomalies et il est comme incroyable.

Même si le nombre de parleurs espagnols augmente très rapidement, il sera toujours moins important que le français, le russe, et même l'allemand juste comme le chinois.

C'est tout.
Le Courageux   Wed May 02, 2007 2:20 pm GMT
La qualité est plus importante que la quantité. On ne croit pas le rapport de l'Institut Cervantes. Il est plein des anomalies et il est comme incroyable.

Même si le nombre de parleurs espagnols augmente très rapidement, il sera toujours moins important que le français, le russe, et même l'allemand juste comme le chinois.

C'est tout
Mitch   Wed May 02, 2007 2:27 pm GMT
The difficulty in answering the question is that no other language besides English predominates in both hemispheres. The only answer that makes sense to me is:

Spanish in the Western Hemisphere
French everywhere else

Other than in Canada (and specifically in Quebec and New Brunswick), and parts of the Caribbean, French will not help much. Spanish is quite widespread in the U.S., native in most of Latin America, and quite helpful in Brazil.

Outside of Spain (and maybe Portugal), French is much more useful in Europe, official or semi-official in much of North, West, and Central Africa, and still considered prestigious in parts of the Middle East and Asia. Chinese, Russian, and Arabic are huge, but of lesser use beyond their own regions. (The United Nations sure picked the right official languages.)

In sum, my advice would be for importance: Spanish if you're don't plan to leave the Western Hemisphere, French otherwise.
Lafayette   Wed May 02, 2007 2:44 pm GMT
<<Other than in Canada (and specifically in Quebec and New Brunswick), and parts of the Caribbean, French will not help much. Spanish is quite widespread in the U.S., native in most of Latin America, and quite helpful in Brazil. >>

Oops, you forgot to include that in Lousiana, New England, Upper New York, French Guiana, and now even in Florida, French is spoken.