Does this sound like gay?

A Fabulous Guy   Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:19 pm GMT
"Oh my god, that's fabulous."
"FYI"
"He totally grosses me out, totally."

Do those sentences sound like gay?
If they do, what other expressions sound like gay?

I want to know typical gay expressions a.k.a gay signature words.
OoooOOOh get herrrrrr   Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:37 pm GMT
You have been watching too much O.C. Get out more and live.
furrykef   Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:14 am GMT
It really depends on the context and intonation. All of those phrases will sound "gay" if said right, but not necessarily. The last one could easily be "Valley girl" speak instead, for example. Stereotypically gay speech is somewhat sing-songy in a way that's hard to describe, and generally incorporates the "gay lisp" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_lisp).

Do note that cues like these are usually used only by the most flamboyantly gay people, though. Other than that, it's mostly just an unfounded stereotype.

- Kef
M56   Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:27 am GMT
<It really depends on the context and intonation. All of those phrases will sound "gay" if said right, but not necessarily. >

What is "to sound gay"? There are many gay people over the world, do they have one way of sounding?
Guest   Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:36 am GMT
No, but you sound very idiot to everyone reading this crap post
Jimmy Choo   Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:31 pm GMT
<The last one could easily be "Valley girl" speak instead, for example.>
What does "Valley girl" mean???
Liz   Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:29 pm GMT
<<"Oh my god, that's fabulous."
"FYI"
"He totally grosses me out, totally.">>

Not necessarily. However, I wouldn't expect a man to speak so. These utterances sound rather "girly" to me. Stereotypical "Valley girl" speak, too.

<<What does "Valley girl" mean???>>

Here's one alternative:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-fGZtrBeDcQ
Adam   Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:33 pm GMT
"Oh my god, that's fabulous."
"FYI"
"He totally grosses me out, totally."

I usually hear teenage American girls say things like that on those boring American shows we get in Britain such as those on Channel 4 or Channel 5.

And it's annoying when they say it.
Guest   Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:52 pm GMT
Cant blame them. When people have a low vocabulary level they speak like that. Right now I dont remember the guy's name who had played a role of harry potter- the other day i was listening him to speak Engish. He came across more intelligent and more eloquent than his age suggested. He can teach Geroge W Bush how to speak English properly. Total class, and here we get American teenage girls, speaking like assholes.
Liz   Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:05 pm GMT
<<Cant blame them. When people have a low vocabulary level they speak like that. Right now I dont remember the guy's name who had played a role of harry potter- the other day i was listening him to speak Engish. He came across more intelligent and more eloquent than his age suggested. He can teach Geroge W Bush how to speak English properly. Total class, and here we get American teenage girls, speaking like assholes.>>

It's not necessarily the low vocabulary level that makes them speak like that. It's a question of fashion and peer group. Not just American teenagers / youngsters use slang / fashion words. It has always been common all around the world. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you know when and where to use and not to use that language.

PS.: I'm not sure if the bloke you have mentioned is that "eloquent" in real life as he is in the film.
furrykef   Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:32 pm GMT
> What is "to sound gay"? There are many gay people over the world, do they have one way of sounding?

Of course not, but I was only speaking about the stereotype I'm familiar with and familiar throughout the U.S. (and presumably Canada). This would be far from the only instance of a distinctly "gay" style of speech, though. Britain used to have a gay subculture with its own language called Polari, but it's all but extinct now. Whatever's left of it survives probably only because of the novelty value. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polari

- Kef
Guest   Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:51 pm GMT
<<PS.: I'm not sure if the bloke you have mentioned is that "eloquent" in real life as he is in the film. >>

Actually I listened him to give an interview along with his stage mentor. He was very very eloquent than his age suggested. He is a teenager but he spoke like a son of william shakespeare!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:59 pm GMT
Another Catherine Tate YouTube clip! She is really top ace and we all love her in the UK with all her amazing range of characterisations and accents. Her "American girl" one on that clip sounded so realistic - reminds of of the many occasions when I've been on an Edinburgh bus and it seemed to be full of American girls ALL sounding just like that - all of them at it at - full decibel rating - and all at the same time. She would have passed for a real American girl to my mind, so different from her much more well known Sarf Landun "Am I bovvered?"
Guest   Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:08 pm GMT
Oh my God...all American girls talk likeeeeeeeee that... I had better not sit next to them...they willl chew me alive!
Cool American Guy   Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:14 pm GMT
<<Total class, and here we get American teenage girls, speaking like assholes.>>

I've heard the stereotypical gay lisp from a real human before. Can anybody tell me what an asshole sounds like when it speaks? I never talked to an ass before, though I have heard mention of such an occurance in Biblical times. A man that was beating his ass was suddenly confronted by the poor beast of burden in man-speech. Shrug it off as mere myth if you will...