Foreigners ruining English?

Franco   Thu May 17, 2007 10:00 am GMT
English has much status but it lacks 'quality' because so many foreigners speak it and degrade it. It has no cultural significance for most learners of it but only practical significance. Kind of like a toilet, you need it because everybody has to defecate, but it's a chore and only useful for practice. That means people who likes to study english for culture are like plumbers, though they're the minority.
furrykef   Thu May 17, 2007 10:16 am GMT
WTF? How can a language even be "degraded"? There's no such thing.

I'm also not aware of foreigners having a very large effect on the language, except for the occasional loanword, which hardly constitutes degradation to me. (Heck, most English vocabulary is borrowed, which is one reason why our spelling system is so messed up.)

- Kef
Priscilla   Thu May 17, 2007 10:36 am GMT
<That means people who likes to study english for culture are like plumbers, though they're the minority. >

Thank goodness.
M56   Thu May 17, 2007 10:42 am GMT
xprain   Thu May 17, 2007 10:57 am GMT
Oh alirhgt. How about discussing "Why is Franco being a cocky English native speaker over foreigners" ??

I may speak so-called "broken-English" but at least I am trying hard.

Let's think about that again.

Everyone does maths in school no matter how bad or good they are.
Do they degrade mathematics ??
So is that why we still do not have flying cars and haven't built and houses on the moon??

I am sorry for ruining your beautiful language dude!
Is that why majority of English native speakers are not accommodating to foreigners who try to learn English?

I have to say many of native speakers like you are really arrogant and cocky about having English as your first language.
I think you're the type of person who talks down to or looks down on foreigners who don't have English. Am I right there?

Now I gotta go to defecate so excuse me, please, Mister.
Guest   Thu May 17, 2007 11:29 am GMT
Franco is right. We foreigners have awful accent and pronunciation coupled with piss poor communication skills to show and when we dont use the language as it is supposed to be then we are actually degrading it. It is sad state of affairs, and seriously, we can not afford to go to an English speaking country and learn it properly from native speakers till then we will always use it below par. That point is true that most people learn it as they need it to communicate for their job and they dont try to learn it properly due to such reasons and dont feel delving into much deeper level of the language. So yeah in a way people dont learn the language for cultural reasons.
xprain   Thu May 17, 2007 11:34 am GMT
but I go to school in Ireland in order to learn English apart from my family and friends in South Korea.

And about the accents you mentioned there.
I don't like my accent but jeez think about it how many Englisn speaking countires are in the world and how many accents do they have ? even in Ireland it is not a big country but still it has shit loads of different accents,dialects and slangs. How would you say accents are degrading the language? I don't understand sir. Where is the logic in that?
Guest   Thu May 17, 2007 11:45 am GMT
In above context the awful accent meant was our native accent. In your case, South Korean and in my case, Indian. We can not pronounce vowels and consonants like native speakers pronounce them in words. So we always sound funny and idiot on the ears of native speakers and in a way we are degrading the language. Let's put it this way, if people hardly care about accents, dialects and proper grammar structures then they would have been no ESL schools and accent trainning tutors and programs online. They are meant there to help students learn and use the language properly.

slangs is no word. Slang or slang words! So you degraded the language there, see my point! That's what Franco was trying to put across in his first post.
Pauline   Thu May 17, 2007 11:53 am GMT
You can better ignore Franco, he's absolutly annoying.
furrykef   Thu May 17, 2007 12:06 pm GMT
> slangs is no word. Slang or slang words! So you degraded the language there, see my point!

That's not a degradation... it isn't standard English, nor something a native speaker would say, but it's not a degradation any more than, say, Spanish and French are "degradations" of Latin (both had heavy influence from Iberian and Gaulish, respectively).

- Kef
furrykef   Thu May 17, 2007 12:08 pm GMT
That said, I *do* prefer that people speak a sort of English that is familiar to me, rather than invent their own. My point is just that changes aren't degradations... but we should still strive for mutual intelligibility.

- Kef
xprain   Thu May 17, 2007 12:16 pm GMT
Oh my god. I ruined the language!! I made a mistake in grammar or said something wrong. But let's think about it how many people did I affect with that mistake?

I am sorry but I don't mind you say your accent is funny but how the hell could you say South Korean accent is funny?

I am so offended by that. You are not even South Korean but I am.
anyway let's suppose we are ruining English then what the hell am I supposed to do? Stop speaking English or what?

Have you ever seen teenagers texts they send to each other?
Oh I am pretty sure that they're ruining they're language by spelling words in incorrect way.
Guest   Thu May 17, 2007 12:24 pm GMT
<That said, I *do* prefer that people speak a sort of English that is familiar to me, rather than invent their own.>

Don't be politically correct. Be direct. You want people to speak a natural form of the language which is normally spoken by native speakers. Which form of the language is familiar to you? The natural form! piss poor pronunciation, wrong usage of words, and improper grammar structures are true indicators of a language degradation!

I am a plain spoken, so I confess that I contribute a lot to this degradtion of the language because I dont have the resources at my disposal to master it like a native person.

Most of the time people(native speakers) are tying to be polite with foreigners but in fact they have a hard time understanding them.
Guest   Thu May 17, 2007 12:35 pm GMT
<<Oh my god. I ruined the language!! I made a mistake in grammar or said something wrong. But let's think about it how many people did I affect with that mistake? >>

Yourself. If you write such a word in your composition, you will be marked down simply because that word does not exist in the language.
If you go on a rampage of making mistakes without caring about language degradation then you will only hurt yourself. No one will like to communicate with you. Care-free attitude is good but all good things in moderation as the saying goes.

<<I am sorry but I don't mind you say your accent is funny but how the hell could you say South Korean accent is funny? >>
I have heard all Asians (including koreans, japanese)speaking the language. They sounded even more worse on my ears then never mind Native speakers! I am a South Asian, by the way. I dont need to speak a lie.

<<I am so offended by that. You are not even South Korean but I am.
anyway let's suppose we are ruining English then what the hell am I supposed to do? Stop speaking English or what? >>

People should accept the truth with a brave heart rather than running away from it. Make a point to learn the language properly right from the start just like children do. They should pay attention to learn the correct pronunciation of each word right from the beginning.

<<<Have you ever seen teenagers texts they send to each other?
Oh I am pretty sure that they're ruining THEIR language by spelling words in incorrect way. >>
They're is an incorrect form. Hence you are contributing to the degradation of the language. When you are not sure about a particular structure, please dont write it. That way we are simply ruining the language!
Guest   Thu May 17, 2007 12:50 pm GMT
And who fuckin cares? If you did not want to "ruin" it you could stay at home instead of butchering half world!!
you have only to say thanks to all people who have the kindness to speak in your language