Beginning to define the difference

M56   Mon May 28, 2007 8:25 am GMT
I'd suggest:

Prescriptivists fought the habit of ending a sentence with a preposition, etc., but people still do it all the time anyway.
Jasper   Mon May 28, 2007 7:05 pm GMT
I'd definitely say I'm a descriptivist--at least in the area of pronunciation.

For every English dialect--including General American--there are those who find it pleasant, and others who find it unpleasant. I really don't know of a single dialect-either American or not--that is universally perceived as pleasant.

Who decides upon a standard? I fear that, in many cases, it's based on either economics or conquest.

In terms of written English, I'd probably describe myself as more a Prescriptivist. Standards of Written English seem to vary much less--even globally--than those of spoken English. The main variations seem to be in spelling and punctuation--minor ones, in my opinion.
Pos   Mon May 28, 2007 9:18 pm GMT
<In terms of written English, I'd probably describe myself as more a Prescriptivist. Standards of Written English seem to vary much less--even globally--than those of spoken English. The main variations seem to be in spelling and punctuation--minor ones, in my opinion. >

Nonstandard English, which does not mean substandard, also has written form. It's not only Standard English that is found in the written form
Travis   Tue May 29, 2007 1:51 am GMT
>>Nonstandard English, which does not mean substandard, also has written form. It's not only Standard English that is found in the written form<<

Are you sure? While there is such a thing as nonstandard writing, this is not necessarily an accurate depiction of dialects outside Standard English. For instance, just how exactly would you write ["hE{:n:] (not ["hE{~:n:]) for standard "hadn't" or ["p_hr\a:m:] (not ["p_hr\a~:m:]) for "problem"?
Travis   Tue May 29, 2007 2:23 am GMT
(Note that I am speaking of informal writing within the bounds of traditional informal English writing, not completely replacing the English orthography altogether.)
Cletus Hillbillitus   Tue May 29, 2007 2:52 am GMT
Face it, Travis, you talk like a yokel, no matter how you try to justify it relative to terms as standard, nonstandard, formal, informal, dialectal, idiolectal, etc.
Travis   Tue May 29, 2007 3:20 am GMT
>>Face it, Travis, you talk like a yokel, no matter how you try to justify it relative to terms as standard, nonstandard, formal, informal, dialectal, idiolectal, etc.<<

I speak the dialect from where I am from, without trying to make my everyday speech any more standard or formal (even though I may very well do so for effect) and without trying to avoid more progressive forms - just what is the problem with that? Even though I have encountered individuals in Real Life who have had problems with my dialect, these individuals have been primarily non-native speakers to begin with, and most native speakers I have found in Real Life have little actual problems with such in reality.
Guest   Tue May 29, 2007 3:47 am GMT
Maybe you should be considerate to non-native speakers and speak more standard English, then. If you were learning another language and someone who spoke that language talked to you with a dialect you didn't understand, wouldn't you be displeased?
Travis   Tue May 29, 2007 4:15 am GMT
>>Maybe you should be considerate to non-native speakers and speak more standard English, then. If you were learning another language and someone who spoke that language talked to you with a dialect you didn't understand, wouldn't you be displeased?<<

Considering that the vast majority of non-native speakers who spoke English relatively well that I've talked to have also had few problems, obviously dialect isn't too much of a problem in practice... Generally most of the people who haven't understood my English too well are also people who I have had problems with *their* English...
Pos   Tue May 29, 2007 9:21 am GMT
Thurs a famous seaside place called Blackpool, thats noted fur fresh air an fun, an Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom, went thur with Albert, thur son.

For Travis. Is this nonstandard, or substandard english, IYO?

Thurs a famous seaside place called Blackpool, thats noted fur fresh air an fun, an Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom, went thur with Albert, thur son.

A grand likley lad were young Albert, all dressed in his best, quite a swell, id a stick wee an orses ed andle, the finest that Woolworths could sell.

Nah, thi dint think much tu thocean , waves wur all figgly an small, thur wur no wrecks an nobody drownded, fact, nowt much to laugh at adall.

So, seeking fur further amusement, thi paid un went into the zoo, thi wur lions an tigers an camuls, an owld ale an sandwiches too.

thur were one owd Lion called Wallace; s nose wur all covered in scars, anny lay in a somnolent posture, wi the side of his ed uptu bars.

Albert ud urd ALL about Lions, an ow thi were ferocious an wild-an tu see Wallace lying, so peaceful, well, it dint seem reet tu child.
Pos   Tue May 29, 2007 9:23 am GMT
<Maybe you should be considerate to non-native speakers and speak more standard English, then.>

Maybe.
Uriel   Wed May 30, 2007 5:15 am GMT
<<Can you give some examples of language which would be on a parallel to sticking your face in the plate?>>

Read a few of my posts. I've been known to do both. ;)