Differences between American English and british English

Guest   Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:20 pm GMT
<<Well lets see here Pub Lunch, we call knickers: underwear, panties, briefs, whitey-tighties...>>

I've never heard it called "whitey-tighties" but "tighty-whities".
Rene   Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:29 pm GMT
Sorry about the double post, but I just thought of another one that is not inappropriate: chonies. Maybe this is strictly a Californian one though, because of the number of immigrants here.
jasper   Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:05 pm GMT
What's a chonie?
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:54 am GMT
"chonies" comes from "chones", Mexican slang for underwear.
Jasper   Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:27 pm GMT
Here's another one--in the UK, you don't have names like Dottie and Randy, which have other meanings.
Uriel   Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:12 pm GMT
I'm more used to "tighty-whitey", come to think of it. Chones is common here because of our proximity to Mexico (pronounced "cho-ness", not chonies, or god forbid, "choans", as a recent visitor from LA insisted on calling them). Panties -- T optional, as Rene pointed out -- is the generic term for female undies, and there's nothing perverted about it.

As for Speedos -- just say no. Or don't ask me the color of your eyes, anyway! (It's like a car accident -- you just can't look away.)
Kiriel   Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:43 am GMT
newsstand / bookstall.

Completely different things.. probably better equivalent is newsstand/kiosk or newsstand/newsagency.

Kiriel
Pub Lunch   Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:44 pm GMT
No no, I did not mean that there is actually anything perverted about the term 'panties' just that, to me, it SOUNDS creepy. I'm sorry but saying the word panties makes me feel like a pervy old git. I am not alone on that one either - but it's probably a transatalantic thing!! To me, it sounds much more, erm, kinky than plain ole 'knickers'.

<<As for Speedos -- just say no. Or don't ask me the color of your eyes, anyway! (It's like a car accident -- you just can't look away.) >>

Why's that then???? Naughty naughty!!!
jane   Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:43 pm GMT
The pronunciation of the name Bewick is Buick, like the car.
Uriel   Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:44 am GMT
"Panties" sounds naughty to all of you, then? I wonder why!

<<<<As for Speedos -- just say no. Or don't ask me the color of your eyes, anyway! (It's like a car accident -- you just can't look away.) >>

Why's that then???? Naughty naughty!!!>>

Well, dude, if you're gonna stick it out there, don't complain when I stare. That's all I'm saying. ;P
Jasper   Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:02 am GMT
<<Well, dude, if you're gonna stick it out there, don't complain when I stare. That's all I'm saying. ;P>>

I agree. How can you help not looking? As if we really wanted to see that skanky stuff. Women or gays, maybe, but not me.

I think Speedos are just plain indecent.
Pub Lunch   Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:48 pm GMT
I heard someone use the term "hungry bums" to describe 'thongs' recently!! Obviously this is a reference to the fact that thongs seem to be eaten by a person bum (or butt for the yanks).

This made me laugh.

<<I think Speedos are just plain indecent.>>

Jasper don't go to Germany then mate!! My Mum just returned from Majorca (beautiful island!!) and it seems that every German was wearing swimming trunks!!!! Another crime I have noticed that is commited by middle aged Germans abroad - wearing white socks with sandals!!!! It's just not right.
Guest   Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:53 pm GMT
Do Britishers use the words like awesome or dude, and expressions like, it's like...totally
Guest   Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:56 pm GMT
<<My Mum just returned from Majorca (beautiful island!!) and it seems that every German was wearing swimming trunks!!!!>>

What's wrong with swimming trunks???

Are these not what you Brits call swimming trunks?

http://www.aspiga.com/swimming_trunks.phtml
Pub Lunch   Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm GMT
<<What's wrong with swimming trunks???

Are these not what you Brits call swimming trunks?

http://www.aspiga.com/swimming_trunks.phtml >>

No mate, where I'm from swimming trunks are what are often referred to as 'Speedos'. However, I'm sure many of my compatriots now use Speedos.

The picture that you sent, to me, are "Bermuda shorts"'. I'm 28 and this is what they were called when I was a child, whether or not they are still called this is beyond me. I'll ask my sister, who's 11, what her lot call them. I'd still call them 'Bermuda's' though.

<<Do Britishers use the words like awesome or dude, and expressions like, it's like...totally >>

Yes, 'awesome' and 'dude' seem to have caught on but are not used that often. However, sadly, I can't say the same for this 'like' speak - it's every bloody where!! Even my Mum keeps going 'I was like' every other sentence. HOW AND WHY THIS HAS SPREAD IS BEYOND ME!!!!!! I hate it!!!