Differences between American English and british English

Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:28 pm GMT
***Oh...sorry!!! That was me...Why the hell did I put Damian's name in there? :-) ***

No idea, Liz! - we don't look anything like each other. You're so much prettier than me just for starters..... You don't have some deep rooted desire to be me do you? Heaven help you if you do......I can be very argumentative and opinionated to the point of obsession...... :-)

Cheers! I've just come in from the pub........aren't Sundays just great?
Liz   Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:48 pm GMT
<<No idea, Liz! - we don't look anything like each other. You're so much prettier than me just for starters..... You don't have some deep rooted desire to be me do you? Heaven help you if you do......I can be very argumentative and opinionated to the point of obsession...... :-)>>

No, I don't think I want to be you. However, being you must be a good thing as you've just come in for a pub but I'm doing some work for unibloodyversity on such a beautiful, sunny Sunday afternoon. Yeah, I might have a slight desire for being you -- but strictly on a subconscious level! :-) (And I'm not struggling with psychology at the moment -- I'm happy to see the back of it! Not that I hate psychology...on the contrary, I like it. Just, you know, sitting exams isn't one of my favourite hobbies.)

BTW, what makes you think I'm prettier than you...? Thanks a bunch, though. :-)

PS: Being argumentative and opinionated isn't your privilege -- it seems to be pretty much in my line, too. :-)
Liz   Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:52 pm GMT
<<come in for a pub>> is actually <<come in from the pub>> under normal circumstances, that is, when I'm not brainwashed. I might come in for criticism because I'm writing nonsense but nobody comes in for a pub, I reckon. Sunstroke is sunstroke. :-)
Pub Lunch   Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:08 pm GMT
Liz - I suggest you steer clear of the books for the rest of the day :)

<<Just to let you know, sideboards are on a car ! >>

No no Andrew, sideboards are basically chest of drawers that people have in their dining rooms (In Britian anyway), I'm not sure why. Oh - I think it is for cutlery and nan's favourite china set etc.

Adam, what makes you say AmE has had no affect on BrE?
Pub Lunch   Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:19 pm GMT
<<Have you not heard how people pronounce words such as shedule, lieutenant, kilometre, privacy, hurricane, advertisement etc etc the American way? (not that their way is wrong - just that it is THEIR way) >>

You mean schedule :)

I basically agree with your post, but I look at it as pay back for all the languages that English has rendered obsolete or redundant over the years (Scottish Gaelic, Scots, Pictish(??), Welsh, Irish Gaelic etc etc).

What goes around comes around I say!

I also think (this may sound strange) that the American language has been 'Americanised' or standardised. I bet if I was to travel around America 50 years ago, pronunciation and vocab would be much more varied as I moved from place to place than if I was to go there now (which I have done a few times actually). I think this is called standard American English'?? Surely this is media created??

Anyway, must dash. Adieu.
Liz   Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:54 pm GMT
<<Liz - I suggest you steer clear of the books for the rest of the day :)>>

Well, I can do nothing but follow your advice, Pub Lunch. (By the way, shall I call you Pub or Lunch? :-))
furrykef   Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:15 pm GMT
<< <<kitty corner / catty corner >>

??????????? Kitty litter or cat tray??????? >>

Actually, this means "diagonal", apparently an alteration of "catercorner". All of these terms are distinctly American (according to Wikipedia), and none of these terms are commonly heard where I live. My grandmother has said catty-corner, using it to refer to a knight's move as in chess, perhaps because she wanted a word that meant "sort of diagonal, but not quite"; I think this was an idiosyncratic usage. The only other places I recall ever seeing these terms are the dictionary and in the title of a Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies episode called "Kitty-Kornered". Usually, when we want to say "diagonal", we just say "diagonal".

<< American English has virtually NO impact on British English.

I've hardly heard anyone say "license plate" instead of number plate, "trunk" instead of boot, "dumpster" instead of skip or "gas" instead of petrol. >>

That's because those aren't the terms that American English is having an impact on. I could say the reverse is true as well: nobody here says "number plate", "boot", "skip", or "petrol" -- indeed, "skip" and possibly "boot" are unlikely to be understood -- but it would be silly of me to say that British English has no effect on American English. Though the only examples of British English creeping into American English that come to mind are "bloody" and, to a lesser extent, "wanker"... not shining examples of words, perhaps, but they're creeping in nonetheless. They currently have a strongly British feel, but since these words see some actual use, it's probably only a matter of time before they fully integrate into the dialect.

<< One of the guys (English) asked if anyone had a rubber he could borrow. The reaction of the two Americans present was great....they probably wondered what was next on the day's agenda. He could have made it even funnier by promising to knock them up the next morning. >>

You just cracked me up. :)

- Kef
Liz   Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:05 pm GMT
<<American English has virtually NO impact on British English.>>

You must be taking the mick, Adam.

<<Though the only examples of British English creeping into American English that come to mind are "bloody" and, to a lesser extent, "wanker"... not shining examples of words, perhaps, but they're creeping in nonetheless.>>

Do you use "bloody" or "wanker", or, heaven forbid, "bloody wanker"??? I am taken aback, really.
Adam   Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:24 pm GMT
"Almost all of these "British" words mentioned by Pub Lunch seem rather obsolete to me, too."

In that list comparing American words to their British equivalents nearly all of the British terms are still very much used.

In Britain, we don't ride on "freeways", we ride on motorways.

We don't say "I'm going on vacation to the Costa del Sol". We say "I'm going on holiday...."

Children have break time at school, not "recess."

We ALWAYS call them pegs and not "clothespins."

Kids use mobiles, not "cellphones."
Adam   Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:28 pm GMT
"Have you not heard how 'I suppose' has been virtually replaced by 'I guess'??

Have you not heard all the 'Oh my gods' and I'm like' they were like' 'he was like' 'she was likes' and hey guys'??

Have you not heard dates suddenly being pronounced June 3 as opposed to June the 3rd or the 3rd of June?"

All those aren't Americanisms. How is "Oh my God" an Americanism?

As for "Hey, guys", the word "guy" isn't an Americanism. That's a British word that has entered American English.

The word "guy" as a slang word for "man" actually comes from Guy Fawkes.

You're trying to give me examples of Americanisms that the British use everyday when instead you're giving me examples of British words that the Americans use everyday.
Adam   Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:43 pm GMT
Etymology of the word "guy" -

The Gunpowder Plot of 1605 was a failed attempt by a group of provincial English Catholics to kill King James I of England, his family, and most of the Protestant aristocracy in a single attack by blowing up the Houses of Parliament during the State Opening. The conspirators had then planned to abduct the royal children, (who were Protestant) not present in Parliament, and incite a revolt in the Midlands.

The Gunpowder Plot was one of many unsuccessful assassination attempts against James I, and followed the Main Plot and Bye Plot of 1603.

The aims of the conspirators are frequently compared to modern terrorists; however, this is an anachronistic application of a modern concept. The plotter's aims were nothing short of a total revolution in the government of England, which would have killed the King along with leading noblemen and led to the installation of a Catholic monarch. As such the plot was regarded as a treasonous act of attempted regicide. Far from helping their fellow Catholics avoid religious persecution, the plotters put many loyal Catholics in a difficult position.

Some popular historians have put forward a debate about government involvement in the plot.

On 5 November each year, people in the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth countries and regions including New Zealand, South Africa, much of the independent and dependent British West Indies, the Canadian island Newfoundland, and formerly Australia celebrate the failure of the plot on what is known as Guy Fawkes Night, Bonfire Night, Fireworks Night, Cracker Night or Plot Night (in much the same way as the US has fireworks on the night of 5th July); although the political meaning of the festival has grown to be very much secondary today.

Institutions and towns may hold firework displays and bonfire parties, and the same is done on a smaller scale in back gardens throughout the country. In some areas, such as Lewes and Battle in Sussex, there are extensive processions and a great bonfire. Children exhibit effigies of Guy Fawkes in the street to collect money for fireworks.

The Houses of Parliament are still searched by the Yeomen of the Guard before the State Opening which since 1928 has been held in November. Ostensibly to ensure no latter-day Guy Fawkes is concealed in the cellars, this is retained as a picturesque custom rather than a serious anti-terrorist precaution. It is said that for superstitious reasons no State Opening will be held on 5 November, but this is untrue. The State Opening was on 5 November in, for instance, 1957.

For weeks prior to 5th November, children make "guys" - life-sized effigies of Guy Fawkes - nowadays usually formed from old clothes stuffed with newspaper, and equipped with a grotesque mask, that are burnt on top of the bonfires on Guy Fawkes Night (5th November) as people gather round and watch, usually eating black peas in vinegar and drinking beer.

The word 'guy' came thus in 19th century Britain to mean a weirdly dressed person - later to become any male person.
Adam   Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
"(in much the same way as the US has fireworks on the night of 5th July)"

That should be 4th July.
Uriel   Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:03 pm GMT
Well, lemme help you all out from an American perspective:

PUBSTER:

"<<lawyer / solicitor >>

I am positive we have lawyers here too??? Google time me thinks."

You do indeed have both, and you distinguish between them in terms of what kind of law they practice. We just use "lawyer" for all of them, and qualify the term with "tax lawyer", "trial lawyer", "corporate lawyer", etc.

"<<kitty corner / catty corner >>

??????????? Kitty litter or cat tray???????"

As someone pointed out, it means "diagonally situated" -- the post office is kitty-corner or catty-corner fron the bank. It's actually a fun word. Try it!

"<<kiwi fruit / Chinese gooseberry >>

Chinese gooseberry?? Must be an old one, it's Kiwi fruit all the way."

The fuzzy green fruit was indeed originally known as a Chinese gooseberry. Not a very appetizing name, unfortunately. Didn't sell many gooseberries. "Kiwi fruit" replaced it as a marketing ploy. And since we don't call New Zealanders "Kiwis" in the US, we can just say "kiwi" and get away with it. Yes, we would also call the bird that, but that's far less likely to be found in our produce aisles, so we manage to avoid any confusion. By the way, there is now a golden version of the kiwi that is sweeter and less tart -- not bad.

"<<jelly / jam>>

Now this one confuses me, I always thought the same, but this is a misconception, I am sure I saw Jam in America (Orlando) and it was the same as here, I also saw preserves as well. No Jelly though. Not sure what that is actually. I think is a bit like jam but not the same."

Okay. Deep breath. For the last frickin' time, we have jam, jelly, AND preserves in the US. This isn't an either/or, US/UK deal. To us, jam and preserves involve the whole fruit being mashed up and jellified. Jelly is the clear version simply made with the juice, sugar, and pectin. And if you don't know much about the art of canning, you probably don't make much distinction between any of the three.

"<<horny / randy

Randy is definitely dying out, I bet Horny is used more now (blame the Americans :)). "

Don't blame us -- you're horny on your own!

"<<programme/program >>

When referring to a television programme, radio programme or a theatre/sports programme etc then yes it is spelt programme. But when referring to a computer programme then it is spelt program. I have no idea why (I think I can blame the Americans :), in-fact program seems to be making inroads in all uses due to everyone using computers these days. Programme will die out, watch. "

Actually, you can blame the French for your tendency to like to "Frenchify" words like programme. We're just giving you back the original word that you've insisted on tarting up, Gallic-style.

"<<bar / pub >>

Different things, basically if it is not a pub then it’s a bar. Bars also tend to be places where music is played and perhaps has a dance floor which basically means it is a nightclub except that it isn't."

American bars really are not equivalent to British pubs, since very little eating goes on in the former. They're strictly for getting trashed and getting lucky. Well, and some have dance floors.

"goose bumps / goose pimples - game / match (sports) - exit / way out

We use both "

Yeah -- so do we. Except maybe for match -- I think we only apply that to tennis.

"<<grades / marks (school) >>

Hmmnn, if you get a % then its a mark, if you get a letter such as an A, B, C etc then it is a grade (I think). So I am not sure if I can blame the Americans there "

Both are grades, here, but we understand and sometimes use "marks" as well.

"<<English muffin / American muffin>>

Nope - two different things."

English muffins I've heard of, and they aren't anything like regular muffins. Regular muffins don't have a nationality -- I've never heard anything called an American muffin.

"<<course / programme (school) >>

We use both "

So do we, although they have slightly different meanings. You can take a course in medieval art history while you are enrolled in your school's art program.

"<<comforter / duvet>>

Comforter?? Hee heee."

At least here, a comforter is a soft, thick, padded blanket. A duvet is a cover that you slip the comforter inside to change it's outward color or texture -- like a giant pillowcase.

"<<movie / film>>

We use both (blame the Americans)"

Don't blame us for anything. We use both, too.

"<<eggplant / aubergine>>

Americans use Eggplant?? Oh dear, that does not sound right."

Here, aubergine is only a shade of purple. The big, purplish-black shiny fruit is indeed called an eggplant. I like the color; not a big fan of the plant.

"<<living room / sitting room>>

We use lounge more, but living room almost as much (blame the Americans?????) "

Well, we certainly lounge more than we sit in our living rooms -- if you have a nice, soft couch, ain't no reason to be upright!

The silly, made-up-by-real-estate-agents term that gets me is "family room". What if you don't have a family? Is it still the same room? Just call it a frickin' living room and be done with it.

"<<sideburns / sideboards (hair)>>

Sideburns all the way! Sideboards are something else entirely."

Yeah. Sideboards are furniture. And before Burnside made his hideous cheek-fluff popular, I'm sure they were called "What are you doing with your facial hair? Did you have an unfortunate accident with your razor?"

"<<newsstand / bookstall>>

Not sure, slightly different things I think. I'm sure we have both here?? I think a newsstand is a place that sells just papers but a bookstall has magazines etc as well. Like I said, I'm not sure. "

Okay, we don't have bookstalls. Bookstores, but that's different.

"<<soccer / football>>

I heard David Beckham use ''soccer'' recently - oh no!! (actually the newspapers use soccer quite often, so maybe we did use soccer in the old days?? No one in there right mind uses it on the streets however."

Apparently yes, you did invent "soccer". Then it died out in the UK, but was preserved in the US. You also invented the precursor of our brand of "football", and back in those days ALL such games were called "football". So that name stuck here. (And since soccer was never big here, and already had another name, we avoided confusion ... sort of like the kiwi thing.)

"<store / shop>>

Store is used for big shops such as DIY/gardening centres etc. I hear Americans use shop quite a lot. "

Sort of interchangeable, but on the whole, "shop" tends to evoke images of a smaller store. You wouldn't call Lowe's or Home Depot or Walmart a "shop". That little boutique that sells the honey-scented soaps -- yeah, that's likely to be a shop.

"<<yield / give way (road sign)>>

Those yield signs crease me up!!!"

Why? Are you expecting another sign further on that says "Aroint thee, miscreant?" ;p

The sign that always cracked me up in England was "Kill your speed".

DAMIAN:

"My best encounter in the great British English v American English linguistic divide was when I was at uni and we were in the college library working. One of the guys (English) asked if anyone had a rubber he could borrow. The reaction of the two Americans present was great....they probably wondered what was next on the day's agenda. The thing is they already knew what he meant but it just sounded funny to them all the same. He could have made it even funnier by promising to knock them up the next morning."

Too funny! I'm sure they knew, but that's one of those things that you just can't quite smother the smirk at.

GUEST:

"Adam, surely you jest?"

He does. Constantly. Or at least, we laugh at most of his offerings....

"Have you not heard how people pronounce words such as shedule, lieutenant, kilometre, privacy, hurricane, advertisement etc etc the American way? (not that their way is wrong - just that it is THEIR way)"

Whoa. You've come up with a different way to say "hurricane"? Such as?

And in the US, you will hear kilometer pronounced two ways -- ki-LOM-meh-ter or KILL-o-meeter. Which do you prefer? (Personally, I prefer saying "mile"!)

"Have you not heard how 'I suppose' has been virtually replaced by 'I guess'??"

Um, we say both. Can't be blaming us for that!
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:21 pm GMT
What cracks me up is when (some) ladies (especially of a certain mature age) yell out "oh, sugar!" when something goes wrong. The rest of us make do with "oh shit!" or more likely some richer expletives.

Actually shit was part of normal polite society back in the England of the 16th/17th century....Samual Pepys diary is peppered with shits. "Up betimes and ventured forth to the office and thence to the White Horse in Lombard Street to enter into discourse with Sir Wiilam Batten, stopping off unexpectedly to take a shit......" Thankfully he didn't say where he took it......probably up a side alleyway......no wonder he later went on to write in great detail about the Great Plague of 1665/66 but such was London life in those days.
furrykef   Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:54 pm GMT
<< Do you use "bloody" or "wanker", or, heaven forbid, "bloody wanker"??? I am taken aback, really. >>

I say "bloody" on the off occasion, usually for mildly humorous effect. I generally don't say "wanker" unless I'm quoting Weebl & Bob or something.

Sorry if you found my examples disconcerting; again, they were the only things that came to mind at the moment.

<< "goose bumps / goose pimples - game / match (sports) - exit / way out

We use both "

Yeah -- so do we. Except maybe for match -- I think we only apply that to tennis. >>

I've only heard "goosebumps", never "goose pimples". Game vs. match depends on the game in question. "Match" doesn't sound right with basketball, football, or baseball, but sounds perfectly fine with tennis or soccer. Sometimes there is a distinction: a game of chess is possibly a friendly game, but a chess match is a serious game. "Exit" and "way out" are interchangeable in some circumstances, but an American will probably be confused by a sign that says "way out" rather than "exit".

- Kef