Differences between American English and british English

Kess   Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:30 pm GMT
In Devonshire, BODY is pronounced as [bAdi] and not [bOdi].
JNC   Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:38 pm GMT
I like this British accent:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/text-only/england/peter-tavy/

it sounds better than RP.
JNC   Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:42 pm GMT
I don't understand this accent (Geordie) at all:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/text-only/england/byker/

it sounds like another language.
Uriel   Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:36 am GMT
<<You people act like your language (which is English!) and customs are so different that you'd be lost if exchanged between each other's countries. Have you ever thought what it would be like to live in a non-English speaking country?

Golly gosh, David Beckham's living in a foreign country! US and A at that! Even with his ahem... *insert descriptor* accent, it's not exactly like he's trying to live and play for a football team in Japan. Now that would be something to write home about. >>

Hey, quit taking all the fun out of our little sparring match! ;)
True, I've lived in Japan and Germany and they are more different than England would be for me. (Maybe more like Scotland -- eh, Damian? I'd have to listen harder to understand the natives....)

Of course, living in another English-speaking country would also have its pitfalls -- lulling you into a false sense of familiarity. You think you know what's going on, what the customs should be, and how to behave -- and then some inexplicable little difference throws you for a loop.

Good work on critter, Damian, and not half-bad withe "Have a nice day" -- we'll make a Hoosier or tarheel out of you yet. Never heard of Cumberland sauce before -- the recipe sounds good, though. (Y'all do love those currant things, don't you? We hardly ever see them here.) Not sure what a gammon is, though.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:29 am GMT
**Hey, quit taking all the fun out of our little sparring match! ;)
True, I've lived in Japan and Germany and they are more different than England would be for me. (Maybe more like Scotland -- eh, Damian? I'd have to listen harder to understand the natives....)

Oh, Uriel, at times you really are a wee minx of a lassie! Naughty but nice (naughty but nice - I think that's in a TV ad for irresestibly yummy chocolates) ;-) It really depends on which part of Scotland you find yourself in, Uriel - like you'd probably find parts of Glasgow as easy to feel at home in as, say - Ulan Bator or Vladivostock..... Only joking.....just make sure you have a phrasebook handy, that's all.

Here in Edinburgh with our softer more mellifluous tones and clear diction you'd have nae probs at all. We'd be delighted to have you. I'll show you round for free and that's no idle promise.
Pub Lunch   Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:53 am GMT
One difference that I am confused about is the meaning of 'momentarily' and how it is used over in the US. For example, I remember being on a coach trip there once and the driver said that "we would be arriving at the destination momentarily" - what??? Now it turns out that this meant 'in a moment' as opposed to 'for a moment' here. So what is the confusing part? I am a HUGE boxing fan and I when I watch an American broadcast of a fight, the commentators will say something along the lines of "that punch hurt him 'momentarily" - what?? In this context it is clear the American was using momentarily in the way a Briton would. So what is going on???

Oh, one other question, do the Americans use the word 'lads'?? I have heard it used a few times in films recently (Robin Williams in 'Dead Poets Society' for example) but never would normally have imagined this word would be used over there.

Uriel - Gammon is basically ham that has been cured differently. My Nan calls it 'boiled' or 'boiling bacon' (boiled when cooked boiling when not) and admittedly may not sound so nice but is LOVELY. It is a tradition (at least in my house) to have 'boiled bacon' sandwiches on Christmas morning, its just not chrimbo without boiled bacon sandwiches (I think it is strictly a British thing and something the Americans would not take to, a bit like fish 'n' chips and 'tea' I suppose).
furrykef   Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:54 pm GMT
"Momentarily" does indeed have both meanings, although prescriptivists insist that it should only mean "for a moment": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_with_disputed_usage#M

"Lads" is indeed an atypical word here, but it's occasionally heard. It's usually used for effect.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:27 pm GMT
URIEL: A joint of ham taken from the leg of the animal (pig of course) is called a gammon joint. Any supermarket in the UK sells various sizes of gammon joints - plain cured or smoked, depending on what your taste is. You can buy various sizes, or you can just buy slices of gammon.

http://www.dukeshillham.co.uk/products.asp?prtID=45&prtName=Uncooked+Hams+Gammon

My Mum usually buys a large gammon joint (if all family here) and she soaks it in cold water overnight. This draws out any excess salt, which is not good for the system. She then dries it thoroughly and then, with a knife, smears clear honey all over it, and then sprinkles demerara sugar on they honeyed surfaces. Then she covers the joint loosely with foil and places it in a covered roasting tin and slams it into the oven and cooks it at the required temperature for the required timing as per weight. About 45 minutes before the end of cooking time she removes the roasting tin lid and the loose foil covering, turns the joint over onto its other side and let's it cook at a slightly increased temperature thereafter.

Let it cool before carving into thick(ish) slices. Serve with the Cumberland sauce and whatever mustard you prefer - English is fave for the rest of my family, I prefer Dijon. Great with saute potatoes and those (reviled by Uriel) Lima / broad beans in a cheddar cheese sauce. :-Cold gammon is great with baked spuds filled with melted cheese, accompanied by a mixed salad, pickled onions, Branston pickle, beetroot and hot crusty baton bread. And a can of Stella straight out of the fridge.
Pub Lunch   Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:03 am GMT
Nice one furrykef, that is much appreciated mate.
Uriel   Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:03 am GMT
If I am ever in the vicinity, I will look you up, Damian -- I promise. My half-sister went to Scotland a few years ago with her dad, but I wasn't invited, of course....

Now that we've cleared up broad beans and gammon, we'll need to address this mysterious "demerara" sugar of yours....

Boiled bacon sandwiches. Now that conjures up images from the movie Better Off Dead, P-Lunch -- the one where the mother (a hopelessly awful cook) plunks down a plate of rubbery green bacon in front of her husband, who says:
"What IS that?"
"It's bacon, dear."
"I KNOW it's bacon. But what have you DONE to it?"
"Well, you said you didn't like all the fat from frying, so I boiled it."

Yes, momentarily goes both ways around here, and no, you won't hear lad used very much. And personally, I like my bacon very crispy. Unless it's Canadian bacon, which Canadians refuse to credit for, eh (they call it "back bacon"), which is best sliced, because it is essentially just ham. Nothing bacony about it at all. We actually do occasionally enjoy our fish breaded and fried, and of course we love what you call "chips". And our supermarkets will sell you 900 varieties of tea....
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:26 am GMT
Uriel - drop by any time you find yourself in Scotland. Fàilte!

Demerara sugar - unrefined brown sugar crystals - great in coffeee but go easy on it as it's very sweet. Named after the area of Guyana (S America) where it originates. You obviously call it by a different name?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/glossary/d.shtml?demerara_sugar
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:29 am GMT
btw: Why were you not invited? And why the very pointed "of course"? Doesnae sound too good on the face if it....... OK ok - none of my business......forget I asked.....I have to do some work now......bye!
Pub Lunch   Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:34 am GMT
Flipping hell!! Better of dead - ha ha, I have not seen that film for absolute donkeys Uriel. That was one of me and brothers faves as kids (along with 'A Fish called Wanda' and Monty Python's 'Life of Brian'). Like I say, it’s been a while but the bit that sticks out is the dancing chips and the singing beef burgers - MENTAL!!!!

Oi Uriel, crispy bacon - no!!!!!!! How and why do you lot eat it like this please tell me WHHYY!!!! Sorry but the Americans just can't do bacon. I remember being in a restaurant called 'Dennies'?? I ordered the closet thing that they had to a 'fry up' and when I saw the bacon it creased me up!!! I thought I was on a wind up!! It was, as you say, crispy (noo!!!!) and had nothing on it - stringy bacon I believe?? I tried to speak to the chef to tell him to 'sort it out' but the waitress insisted that this was the 'norm'. Rather nicely they actually did cook it the 'correct' way for me - amazing service (still a pathetic piece of bacon though - no oommph).

I also remember ordering pancakes at the same time to be had as an afters but it actually came WITH the bacon (arrgghhh), and why do you all put syrup on it. We Britons just do not do crispy bacon at all - its no fun!!

Boiled bacon does sound a little dodgy I’ll admit, but this is a rather antiquated term anyway, gammon is the name of choice now. It really is nice, just think of salty ham, thickly cut and your almost there, top stuff.
We do sell the ubiquitous French fry here as well as the chip. The French fry is essentially a style of chip where as a 'proper chip' is nice and chunky.

900 varieties of tea!! I do remember going into a supermarket over there and being astonished at the choice - unbelievable (despite this, you lot sell very dodgy chocolate!!!).

Breaded fish - got to love the yanks (battered!!)

Oh cheers for the momentarily mix-up, both meanings are used in America then. I assume that it is a regional thing and that a given person will only use one meaning while another will use another?

Okay that’s it for now, next time we talk about the virtues of 'Jellied eels'.
Matt   Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:03 pm GMT
JNC Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:42 pm GMT
I don't understand this accent (Geordie) at all:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/text-only/england/byker/

it sounds like another language.

=========

Don't worry, JNC. You aren't alone. I am from Sunderland (considered by most people to be Geordie) and most English people can't understand me when I speak in my original dialect.

I spend five years refining it before Southerners (southern English people) were able to understand me.

I have a weird half-northern / half-southern accent now.
Uriel   Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:44 am GMT
Damian, I think your demarera sugar is like our turbinado sugar -- not enough molasses left in it to make it true, sticky, brown sugar (which, depending on content, is graded from dark to light); they're just beige crystals with a hint of molasses flavor. Sold under the popular brand name of "Sugar in the Raw".

No idea where "turbinado" comes from.

As for the half-sister thing -- still slightly miffed that she even exists, and have never gotten along with her father. Nice kid and all -- not her fault, but I still look at my mother and shake my head.....

Pub Lunch, I not only DEMAND that my bacon crumble when touched like a freshly-exhumed mummy, but I drown it (and sausage!) in any maple syrup I can find. The combination of salted or spiced meat and sweet sugar is not unlike Damian's take on how gammon should be cooked. I also have to have my T'giving turkey with lots of cranberry sauce -- just not the same without it!

I guess there is a difference between "breaded" and "battered" -- for breading you moisten the item and roll it in a dry coating, like breadcrumbs, cornflakes, etc. Batters are liquid coatings like cornmeal batter, beer batter, etc. that harden when fried.

As for jellied eels, I think if anyone ever plunked a quivering mass of that in front of me, I would be tempted to "go zat way, rheally fast. And if somesing gets in my way, turn!" Lord have mercy!

Big ol' thick cut fries like your chips are known as "steak fries" here, and I love them, too. MMMmmmm! Not a big fish fan, though.

You were at a Denny's and I'm sorry .... ;P Crappy, greasy food. But their one saving grace is they're open 24 hours a day. And after the bars kick you out you don't care much about food quality!

Here's a common breakfast food that tripped me up in England: the omelette. I'm not talking about the spelling (omelette vs omelet), I'm talking about the definition. To me, and I bet to every other American here, an omelette, no matter how you choose to spell it, is essentally an egg "pancake" folded over some sort of filling. It can be as simple as cheese, or it can be the free-for-all of a Denver omelette. I like mine with hame, cheese, tomatoes, sauteed onions, and mushrooms.

But here's the kicker: if there's NO filling, it ain't an omelette. It's ... neatly scrambled eggs. I ordered an "omelette" in the Gatwick airport, and they brought me plain, boring eggs. No cheese, no nothing. Guy looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for some, said "that's the way it comes", and made himself scarce. I couldn't eat it -- not a big fan of eggs, either; I have to have them disguised with other goodies.