Arrogance and Learning English!!!

Boy   Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:59 pm GMT
Hi!

Here I want to share something I encounter on a regular basis. When I meet with students who speak good English like a native speaker cause they completed their primary studies from rich and highly reputed schools where native speakers teach them. They(students) are full of themselves. They don't like to talk with someone who doesn't have good English skills. Speakers like me are looked down upon. Their teachers who also speak good English - they also show so much arrogance to their fellow teachers. I don't know what is that after learning English people start acting like they are kind of super human beings or whatever? I feel so melancholy.

Here is such an example coming from one of Antimoon's successful learners:

http://www.antimoon.com/learners/marta_wlodarczak.htm

"...I knew that I should improve my learning techniques and I decided to ask for help those who had the best results in English in our class, that is Michal and Tom. That wasn't easy because we hardly knew each other. What's more, in the second grade, they seemed to look down on girls so after a few attempts to approach them I decided to give up. For two years I learned English using the method described above. My English was improving but I was still forgetting new words and my pronunciation was bad....."

She wasted two years cause Tom had no proper time to consider her case. Whao!
Uriel   Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:32 am GMT
When people get good at ANYTHING they often become snotty about it --a sport, a subject of study, a particular skill, etc. It's not confined to learning English. It's just human nature (which is often not pretty). I've encountered the phenomenon in many different settings.
Brennus   Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:09 am GMT
Boy,

Uriel may have said it all in a nutshell here. However, keep in mind that non-Christian cultures sometimes have different attitudes about things like achievement, pride, arrogance, humility etc., even "adultery" and homosexuality than Christian societies do. About the only things all religions do seem to agree on is thou shalt not steal and thou shalt not kill (i.e. murder). Otherwise they can be very different from one another.
rai   Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:59 am GMT
This is Global English. If you speak fluently like a native speaker, the things are easy. But when our English is bad, anybody wants to speak to us
eito(jpn)   Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:28 pm GMT
>>If you speak fluently like a native speaker, the things are easy. But when our English is bad, anybody wants to speak to us <<

Things are difficult if you speak fluently like a native speaker. And if you speak slowly and clearly, it will be better to me. That's what Global English is.
Adam   Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:34 pm GMT
Maybe it's because English is a better language than all the others.
eito(jpn)   Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:49 pm GMT
>>Maybe it's because English is a better language than all the others. <<

What makes you think so?
Adam   Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:58 pm GMT
There has to be a reason why it's the world's lingua franca.

Rubbish languages would never be the lingua franca.
eito(jpn)   Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:24 pm GMT
Rubbish languages?
Candy   Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:29 pm GMT
eito, don't encourage him.
Travis   Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:30 pm GMT
>>Rubbish languages?<<

Just ignore the jingoistic idiot here commonly known as "Adam", even though it is still fun to flame him from time to time nonetheless.
Adam   Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:19 pm GMT
Eito,

Latin languages are rubbish as you must know = <

but on the other side

English from UK is the best =>

French = lazy, corrupted, thieves, dirty, cowards...
spanish = lazy, corrupted, thieves, dirty, cowards...
italians = no comment
Adam   Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:24 am GMT
Adam is a fucker
JJM   Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:35 am GMT
Tell me, Adam, what colour is the sky in your world?
Adam   Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:56 pm GMT
Which Adam are you talking to?