G8

abc   Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:48 am GMT
I don't understand this excerpt from NYTimes:
"A more serious proposal comes from this year’s host, Chancellor Angela Merkel. She would impose mandatory caps and incentives to achieve a 50 percent reduction in greenhouse gases by midcentury. That’s far too specific for Mr. Bush, who is now pressing for watered-down language in the final communiqué. Mrs. Merkel and like-minded leaders such as British Prime Minister Tony Blair need to hold their ground."
abc   Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:50 pm GMT
?
furrykef   Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:07 pm GMT
What do you have trouble understanding, exactly?
abc   Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:35 pm GMT
* greenhouse gases
What the hell are these?
*watered-down language
It means a toned-down language?
*in the final communique?
What's that?
*Need to hold their ground.
What's that mean?
Valley Girl   Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:38 pm GMT
''What's that mean?''

Kewl spelleen.
Skippy   Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:43 pm GMT
Greenhouse gases are gases that continue the so-called "Greenhouse Effect" that people used to talk about before we had global warming to "worry" about.

Watered down language is language that so as not to offend... For example, if Pres. Bush thinks the European leaders are morons for believing in global warming, but he has to speak publicly with them, he will use language that is less offensive than "you are idiots for believing this crap."

A communique is a report released by a public organization.

"Hold their ground" means, in this context, that Merkel and Blair should continue to defend their statements despite whatever Bush has to say about their global warming-beliefs.
Skippy   Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:45 pm GMT
Oh, and I hope my heavily biased descriptions helped :-D
abc is a moron   Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:50 pm GMT
You are as stupid as the people that ask: "which language should I learn?"

Use the damn dictionary if you don't understand those words. Dictionary.com, dictionary.yahoo.com.

What a lazy SOB you are!!!!
abc   Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:39 pm GMT
"abc is a moron," you're a brit, aren't you? Cuz the only English speakers on this planet that are rude, are you guys.

Thanks Skippy.
abc is a moron   Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:24 am GMT
I found all the words you were looking for on dictionary.com and dictionary.yahoo.com. and no, I am not a filthy, English scumbag.
Guest   Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:32 am GMT
Americans are fat lazy wasteful peices of shit.
Guest   Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:36 am GMT
I concur, I hope you Americans get nuked by Iran.
Iran   Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:43 am GMT
If that happened you'd probably get nuked as well, you cretin.
abc is a moron   Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:52 am GMT
"I concur, I hope you Americans get nuked by Iran."--guest

What a moron--I guess you failed geography. If anything, Europe will be nuked by an Iran missile in the future. The Persians call the European powers "little Satans" and they hate you as much as they do Americans. Yes, my friend, Vienna, Paris, and Berlin will be leveled before New York or Washington.
furrykef   Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:03 am GMT
Excuse me, when did this topic have anything to do with America or Britain? Oh, wait, it didn't. Then shut up.