About mutual intelligibility between Spanish, Italian and Fr

Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:01 pm GMT
UFFFFFF....... this thread is getting me boing to death
STOP - BASTA - çA SUFFIT
K. T.   Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:38 pm GMT
My native language? English, of course.
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:54 pm GMT
Just wondering. I'm looking to hear from native speakers of Italian and French, because it seems that many of them are saying that the other is very easy to learn.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am GMT
Funny thing, all of the best universities in the world combine their French and Italian departments because of the similarities of the languages. Traditionally Spanish is combined with its sister language Portuguese.
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:21 am GMT
Which university you attended ? Pentecostalian Redneckarian Chastity University?
K. T.   Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:04 am GMT
I'm not sure I agree. Spanish and Italian were together at the University I attended. Of course, perhaps that means (by default) that I did NOT attend a fine university. DANG! WHY DID I NOT CHECK THIS OUT FIRST!
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:18 am GMT
How about all of the following top universities (and more):

Stanford
Princeton
Dartmouth
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Vanderbilt
Colorado
Tulane
Oberlin

Look it up for yourself, it's a very interesting phenomenon.
K. T.   Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:49 am GMT
Old Frisian...I had no idea this was being taught anywhere...at all. Wisconsin has gone up in my book.

Wisconsin: it's not all about Cheese.
At the university they teach-
Canaanite and JAVANESE.

Okay, I'm impressed.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:04 am GMT
Wisky's a good school. Unfortunately their one of my school's athletic rivals, so that's where I draw the line on the compliments.
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:36 pm GMT
You can't extract any conclusions of that. Some universities have one single department for all romance languages , Harvard for example, other combine French and Italian, there are ones which put Spanish , Italian and Portuguese together (Virginia University for example) and other have a specific department for Italian, French and Spanish separately. It is true that they tend to combine Portuguese and Spanish, but this is because there are not other pairs of romance languages mutually intelligible to that great degree.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:25 pm GMT
<<It is true that they tend to combine Portuguese and Spanish, but this is because there are not other pairs of romance languages mutually intelligible to that great degree.>>

No, French and Italian are just as mutually intelligible.
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:26 pm GMT
"No, French and Italian are just as mutually intelligible"

Have you any sources? That's not what Italian Wikipedia says.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:39 pm GMT
Is that what it says? I'm going to re-write it so say something different. How do you like that? Wikipedia is worthless!
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:43 pm GMT
If you writte a nonsense, for example: "French is closer to Italian than Spanish", it will be soon reverted, also you can't speak Italian.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:20 pm GMT
I can speak Italian, which is why I will write the TRUTH that Italian is more similar to French than Spanish, and it will be there for all to see. The only non-sense is the claim that Spanish is most similar to Italian.