Romance Languages

Travis   Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:05 pm GMT
>>Is German a Romance language?<<

Do you think it isn't a *Germanic* language?...
furrykef   Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:58 pm GMT
<< are you the Antimoon moderator now? Better than Brennus for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

No, I only want to ensure that we have a single, coherent, cohesive discussion. And that's not going to happen if it's split into two threads.

<< Etre means essere in the principal meaning of the verb, if you mean essere like "stare" then we have the Italian STARE the Spanish ESTAR and the French RESTER, so they are very similar. >>

French "rester" is a different verb, not a cognate with "stare". See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_copula#French

Now let's please resume the discussion in the other thread, shall we? I'm sure Brennus is going to lock this one because the other one exists anyway.

- Kef
furrykef   Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:03 am GMT
Hmm. For some reason, the moderators closed the other thread and left this thread open. Okay, let's continue the discussion in *this* thread then...
Franco   Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:21 am GMT
Because Brennus is the greatest idiot. When I join the Mob he will regret hsi action.
Pauline   Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:27 am GMT
>> Brennus is the greatest idiot. <<

Correct
--------------------------------------------------------------

>>When I join the Mob he will regret hsi action.<<

Which mob?

--------------------------------------------------------------

>>Is German a Romance language?<<

No, it's a west-germanic one, with Dutch, English,frisian.

Other Germanic languages are the north-germanic: for example swedish, norwegian, danish.
Franco   Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:34 am GMT
<<Which mob? >>

I don't know now, because of Brennus. I made a thread, asking of which language is recommended for joining a mob, but it was deleted, so now I am close to rage.
Pauline   Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:38 am GMT
>>now I am close to rage.<<

Oh no!!!!You can become calm if you wil drink this cup of hot chcolate:

\_/>
Adolf   Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:17 am GMT
I heard that in Italian they almost don't use ESTARE, only in a few cases, but this verb is not nearly as heavily used as ESTAR in Spanish. What do you think? People studying Spanish have big problems with SER/ESTAR. In Latin there is only STARE, right? Why this verb splitted into SER/ESTAR and ESSERE/STARE?
Guest   Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:27 am GMT
Italian is a nice romance language for the mob.
Travis   Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:47 am GMT
>>In Latin there is only STARE, right?<<

No, these were two different words in Latin, ESSE (> Italian "essere", Spanish and Portuguese "ser") and STARE (> Italian "stare", Spanish and Portuguese "estar").
Guest   Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:01 am GMT
The reason Brennus hasn't locked this one is that he only has access on the Languages forum, I think. mjd has access on both, but he doesn't post. He deletes things from behind the scenes.