Please Translate from german?

Phil   Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:57 pm GMT
Jetz Hab' Ich Dich

Now I have you
yabadabadoo   Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:37 am GMT
how is ph pronounced in german, like pferd and pfund. Is the p silent like in english or do you say the letter.....puhferd and puhfund.
yabadabadoo   Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:48 am GMT
Jetz Hab' Ich Dich

can you also say Ich habe jetz Dich? or would that be incorrect?

why would it be one way and not the other? which is more correct?
Truth   Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:35 am GMT
Sander's uncle comitted suicide after discovering that Sander was gay!!! And Sander attempted to do the same, but his queer Dutch friends stopped him.
Bardioc   Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:05 pm GMT
Just passed an examination.

In ''Pferd'' and ''Pfund'', there's no ph. Do you mean the aspiration of initial p? As I heard some weeks ago, in German, all P on the beginning of a word are aspirated. But as a native speaker, you aren't aware of that. The ph in words like ''Strophe'' = verse, stanza, is pronounced simply f. The pronounciations you propose are wrong.

''Jetz hab ich Dich'' is not standard. Better ''Jetzt hab ich Dich'' or best ''Jetzt habe ich Dich!'' You could also say ''Ich habe Dich jetzt.'' The sentence you proposed is syntactiacally wrong.
Guest   Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:03 am GMT
translate bitte

Von da aus hat man eine schöne Aussicht auf die Festung und den Dom.
Kamax   Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:46 am GMT
I'm not really good in english,but I guess english speaking people would say:

"The prospect of the stronghold and the dom is beautiful from there." (Von da aus hat man eine schöne Aussicht auf die Festung und den Dom.)
Kamax   Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:47 am GMT
Oh, I forgot :
dom = minster/cathedral
Candy   Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:48 am GMT
<<translate bitte

Von da aus hat man eine schöne Aussicht auf die Festung und den Dom. >>

"You have a lovely/beautiful view of the fortress and cathedral from there."
or
"The view of the fortress and cathedral is lovely/beautiful from there."
Sander   Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 pm GMT
From there one has a nice view of the fortress and cathedral.
Guest   Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:12 pm GMT
what does "ganz genau" mean?

and "alles klar"?
________________________________________________________-_
Von da aus hat man eine schöne Aussicht auf die Festung und den Dom. >>

"You have a lovely/beautiful view of the fortress and cathedral from there."

Von is another way of saying "you"? I know there is du, Sie, and ihr, when do you use this "von" form?
Candy   Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:31 pm GMT
<<Von is another way of saying "you"? I know there is du, Sie, and ihr, when do you use this "von" form? >>

No, 'von' means 'from'. If you translate the sentence word for word, it says "from there out has one a lovely view on the fortress and the cathedral".
Guest   Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:46 pm GMT
I see, thanks. I have to try and get away from word for word translations, but as a new learner, its hard to form sentences using this method. In that sentence, there is no "you" word, so how would i know to say "you have a nice...." Would the translation be "one has a nice view of the cathedreal from there"

does that make sense?
Candy   Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:53 pm GMT
Well, to me personally using the construction 'one has...' sounds very old-fashioned, and I would tend to avoid it. The use of 'man' is very common in German, though, and is usually translated by 'you' or sometimes 'they', or sometimes even the passive.

Just noticed your previous questions. 'Ganz genau' means 'exactly' or 'precisely'. It's difficult to translate the 'ganz' which means 'completely' or 'wholly'. In English, perhaps it's best translated as 'spot on!' or something similar.
'Alles klar' literally means 'all clear'. Germans use it to mean something like 'a-ha, now I've got it!' or 'I'm with you!' - 'You do it by pressing this button here' - 'Ach so, alles klar!'
Guest   Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:22 pm GMT
danke, alles klar (thanks, now i've got it) - depending on the context it can mean several things? I've heard this "alles Klar" quite abit, but couldn't really understand it. And also ganz genau i've heard alot as well. Genau, I know means exactly, but ganz means "completely", but litterally translating it to "completely exactly", didn't sound right.

what does "man" refer too again? I forget.

thanks