Please Translate from german?

Sander   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:23 pm GMT
=>As far as I have learnt in school, past tense is ''went''. And if I remember correctly, ''gone'' is past participle. <=

I'm sorry I read 'which of them is in the past' ;-)
Guest   Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:06 pm GMT
Gern geschehen (you're welcome)

I heard also bitte shoen and bitte sehr also means your welcome.
Is it correct you only use bitte shoen when replying to danke shoen?
And bitte shoen can also mean "here you are" I hard it used in a tape, a waiter was giving something to a customer and he said "bitte shoen"

When is bitte sehr used, and what is the difference between them. When do you precisely use which phrase?
Sander   Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:13 pm GMT
Well, litterally "Gern geschehen " means " (I've) Done (it) with pleasure "

" Bitte schön " means about the same as stated above.

" danke schön " is used to thank.The 'schön' only accentuates the 'danke' a translation would be 'thank you very much'.
Guest   Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:23 pm GMT
flegen

Ich flege
du flegst
er/sie/es flegt
wir flegen
ihr flegst
Sie flegen
sie flegen

Du flegst von Deutschland oder Die Sweiss?

If i wanted to say this is this correct?
Candy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:34 pm GMT
Bitte schön and bitte sehr have the same meaning, as far as I know (I think you'd have to be a native German speaker to know the difference). Gern geschehen is just a bit more formal, like saying in English 'it was a pleasure' instead of 'you're welcome'. But you can *always* say 'bitte schön' when someone thanks you.
Guest   Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:48 pm GMT
the word ganz..

is it too emphasize the verb? such as

ganz genau (absolutely)
ganz vorbei (completely over)
ganz ganz guet (very very good)
ganz gluecklich (very happy)
Ich bin ganz muede (i am very tired) ----- or do i say Ich bin sehr muede?

sehr means "very" as well. So which is better form to use?

thanks
Candy   Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:30 am GMT
I don't think you can use the words 'ganz' or 'sehr' with all adjectives - like in English. You can't say 'very wonderful' or 'absolutely tired'. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as in English, but think of 'sehr' as 'very' and 'ganz' as 'totally' or 'completely', so something can be 'completely finished' but not 'very finished'.
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:44 pm GMT
thanks Candy,

the word "it", when do you refer "it" as es and ihn?

German: Ja, aber sie haben ihn billig bekommen.

English: Yes, but they bought it very cheap.
Candy   Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:31 pm GMT
'It' can be translated as er, sie or es (or ihn in the accusative), depending on the gender of the object in question. For example, it's 'die Flasche' (the bottle) so you have to say "Ich habe SIE gekauft" (I bought it), but 'der Tisch' (the table) so "Er ist klein" (it is small) or "Ich habe IHN gekauft". 'Es' is used for neuter objects, ie ones that take 'das' - 'das Fenster' (the window) and so on: "es ist offen" (it is open)
Bardioc   Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:59 pm GMT
Guest:

fliegen

ich fliege
du fliegst
er, sie, es fliegt

wir fliegen
ihr fliegt
sie fliegen

Fliegst du von Deutschland oder von der Schweiz?

ganz, ganz gut

ganz glücklich (better: sehr glücklich)

sehr müde! Yes, you say: Ich bin sehr müde!
Sander   Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:51 pm GMT
Don't worry Bardioc, 'Larissa/Latrine' says she 'hates' German, she doesn't provide arguments though. Probably because she's never heard more than a minute of it.

We can't punish ignorance so let's ignore her.
Sander   Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:59 pm GMT
=>Probably because of the German invasions of Russia, causing millions of deaths. The Russians werent saints either though. <=

She wasn't even born then,and probably doesn't even know when World War II started (I believe you're describing the Russian campain of WW2 above?)
Donna Saxon   Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:11 am GMT
I'm a Brit currently learning German and I love the language, as well as the country and people! (I'm only at the beginner stage or so :0( , although I'm pleased that I managed to spot the grammatical mistakes and answer a lot of the questions on this page, so it must be finally sinking in at last!) It is a very beautiful language (if not a bit frustrating at times but hey, that's all part of the fun) and if you've actually taken the time to listen to it then you would hear it for yourself that it is a beautiful language, very pretty to look at too I think.

Sadly, there will always be ignorant morons who know absolutely nothing about Germany, the German people or the Language but will feel the need to make 'comments' on the subject because they seem to think that people are actually interested or care about what they have to say..er when they're not.

It's a shame really because most Germans think that all Brits hate them probably because of people like the idiot that has been posting anti German comments on here.

Well, I don't and I know lot's of Brits that loves Germany, so don't let the morons get you down!

Besides, I think us Brits are hated more (or the French) than the Germans are lol!

Donna xx
Guest   Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:21 am GMT
I agree with you completely Donna, I love the German language, the people, the culture, which is also why I'm studying it, for no other reason then for my own personal interest.
But it is very difficult to learn especially on my own, but thanks to everyone here, I'm learning a little more everyday.

Guest   Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:42 am GMT
Ich habe keine Lust