Curious

K. T.   Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:12 pm GMT
Yes, I think I saw some posts by Kef in Spanish and they were very good. I suspect he underestimates his abilites to communicate.
Xie   Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:16 am GMT
Native: Cantonese, Mandarin (half-native, esp. in reading)

Use regularly: Cantonese, Mandarin and English

Speak/Know, but don't use regularly: German (at a very low level)

Read/Understand: German

Notions, know some words (less than 1000, maybe, but more than "thank-you": none

Learning: all the four above

Dabbling: French

In the works to learn (already have the material, native friend ready to exchange language) none, I don't even have "regular" access to Mandarin/English speakers.
Xie   Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:35 am GMT
I also find it hard to maintain languages consciously, because even in a cosmopolitan city like Hong Kong, it's kinda difficult to use a <<second>> language at all. While I read English almost daily, I don't really speak it (I can, of course). The fact is: while many foreign students won't bother to even try to have a few stabs at my native, I have virtually no chance to speak English properly, since my English is often compromised by fellow HK students who are technically orally monolingual (except a new acquaintance who does come from CA).

So, to invest my time more wisely, I'd simply stick on the one-language-one-time rule. Since I can speak Mandarin (and with a really good understanding, because of cultural affinity) and English functionally, I'd just need some daily maintenance before settling on aggressive learning plans - but you know, everyone is always very busy with something, so am I.

Currently, German is my main focus, but I want to learn French very soon, so I'd just dabble with it, maybe indefinitely. Perhaps unlike many of you, I find it hard to use such languages actively (not even my 2nd and 3rd languages), so I can only explore, discover and maintain these 4 languages, before I can move on to more "obscure" languages in future - the reality is: even English is very obscure in Hong Kong (though official). I believe the above 3, excluding Mandarin (until you can read very advanced Chinese stuff), are important for reading language publications. So I won't even try to dabble with Japanese, though I have significant discounts regarding kanji - I did read Heisig's method by chance, and I simply found that those 1,9xx kanji fell into place instantly, because at least 90% of the characters are identical to traditional Hanzi, except a few stroke differences. While Japanese stuff is popular here, technically speaking, I think I would have to pay a much higher price just to read language books in Japanese; French and German are much easier indeed.

In fact, do you care about language publications NOT in English? I just believe knowing more languages with rich language literature would help with my future language business, and you can improve your languages through reading it in difference perspectives - comparing with a new target language and reading advanced stuff. Even if I can't go on later on, I at least have got those 2 "useful" languages.
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:51 am GMT
Xie,

You just answered some questions before I was able to post them. Weird indeed!

Do they have polyglot clubs in HK? Perhaps someone should start one.
furrykef   Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:55 am GMT
<< Heisig's story is column...nightbreak...gain. >>

You mean "column...nightbreak...glue". "Gain" is the meaning of the kanji. ;)

<< An oops!: Its, not it's, lol. >>

*blink* I don't see either an "its" or an "it's" there.

- Kef
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:04 am GMT
"It's meaning is profit"

That was the mistake, Kef.

I meant: Its meaning is profit.

I'm starting to write like a non-native in English.
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:27 am GMT
その間違いはネイティブもよくするではないか。
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:34 am GMT
その間違いはネイティブもよくするではないか。

True, but...
mac   Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:46 am GMT
Native: English

Speak/Know, but don't use regularly: Spanish (I hope to use more in the future).

Read/Understand: Spanish

Learning: Spanish (there is always more to learn), Japanese (mainly speaking).

Have interest in French, I but haven't began studying. I just got to make the time. Also, learning some basic Russian and Chinese is appealing to me.
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:51 am GMT
Interesting.

There is always more to learn in any language.
Xie   Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:26 am GMT
>> You just answered some questions before I was able to post them. Weird indeed!

Do they have polyglot clubs in HK? Perhaps someone should start one.

Hm? Have you been to HK?

It's my problem. I'm not working (in firms with foreigners) yet, and I don't live in the campus, so my chance of meeting foreigners/Mainland students is very slim. However, at least in my social circles (old friends, and new acquaintances), I'm one of the very few people who is interested in speaking "foreign". Unlike many of you Americans, who don't usually learn many languages but have perfect access to the largest language book and course market on the planet, the Hong Kong market is almost like a desert. 7 out of 10 language students never cross the border of dabbling. They simply attend lessons for 4 or 5 hours (bi-)weekly (which is too expensive a business for many, except university students(!))... and no, they won't know what to do next. HK young people, if they can afford expensive courses, only know how to dabble; many Mainland Chinese do know how to study languages as majors, but most of them are keeping on reciting until their eyes bleed, which is, for me (or just for me), too much drudgery.

I happened to come across the site K.T. mentioned above, and my enlightenment began. I was convinced that, contrary to popular belief around my place, the linguistic ability of many Europeans has really a lot to do with immersion and, above all, good language publications; likewise, many Americans DO learn languages and they are also lucky to have very good access to that stuff. That's why I'm realizing my plan to discover more innovative stuff...

No, I don't see any, at least in universities. At most, there are university clubs about foreign things, like a German club that holds a few activities annually (Bierfest, selling small stuff in German...).... but the ones who run this kind of clubs don't really know the language well.

Amendment: The guy who comes from CA isn't an HK student. But well, just like most other foreign students who happen to study here, I don't think he's going to learn any Chinese at all...
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:52 am GMT
Hello Xie,

Yes, I've been to HK, but not recently.
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:57 am GMT
You don't post under your name anymore Franco?
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:02 am GMT
LOL!
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:31 pm GMT
A franco y sus otros alias: le agradeceria que pusiera obscenidades en otro idioma.