COCKNEY SOUNDS AMERICAN!!!

Candy   Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:24 am GMT
Don't even get me started on the inaccuracies of that film (there was a thread discussing it a while ago). I'm not Scottish, but I found Gibson about as convincing as a polar bear in dark glasses trying to get into a giraffes only party (to quote Blackadder from memory, possibly inaccurately)
Uriel   Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:30 pm GMT
<< And why were the English nobility speaking English rather than the bastardized French that they actually spoke at that time. >>

Mmmm, probably so people could actually understand the dialogue.

I have to admit that I had no problems with the plot inaccuracies, since I had never heard of any of it before anyway. Oddly enough, medieval Scottish history doesn't make it into the US history curriculum.
Rick Johnson   Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:44 pm GMT
<<Mmmm, probably so people could actually understand the dialogue.>>

I've not seen the film, but wasn't the Passion of the Christ in old Aramaic or something. I reckon I would do better understanding Old French.
Adam   Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:20 pm GMT
"Have you read any books about England written later than about 1930?? 4 o'clock tea is as dead as a dodo. "

No it isn't. Nearly everyone in England has their tea between 4pm and 5pm.

And "tea" is a meal, a dinner, not the drink of tea.
Adam   Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:21 pm GMT
"And why were the English nobility speaking English rather than the bastardized French that they actually spoke at that time. "

Because it's hard to find actors who speak bastardized French?
Yorick   Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:00 am GMT
"I would say his Scottish accent was about as authentic as the "Scottish" landscape (Ireland) and the "Scottish" troops (Irish)."

I'm sure you know your history and Latin, Rick, so you won't need to be reminded that the name Scotland is from the Latin word (Scotus) for Irishman.
Pete   Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:49 am GMT
Cockney sounds american...
Uriel   Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:55 am GMT
Go ahead: try to say "Ya'll come back now, hear?" in a Cockney accent. ;)
Katy   Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:42 am GMT
I'm a cockney, born in shoreditch east london lived ere all me life and same goes with me family. Im really annoyed at people saying that cockney sounds like American. It the biggest load of cods wallop ive ever heard in me life, it sounds nuttin alike. Cockney is a working class accent and if you ever meet a cockney you are sure to have a good laugh and a knees up. By the way have any of you actually heard a cockney accent? Get hold of a chas n dave song like margate or gertcha and then youll ere what cockney really sounds like, cheesy but you should try it.
Anggie   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:45 am GMT
'ello y'all!

I have a huge crush on English culture. Because I have a good friend from England ( not pen-pal ). So I try to search for info about England. I've found out that England has many different accents and I was just wondering which accent my friend has. :D

You say Cockney sounds like American English and sounds sexy. So I guess my friend maybe has Cockney accent. His voice sounds very sexy over the phone and he does not have very thick English accent, sounds a lil' bit like American English. It's just so complicated. England is so big a country for me to figure it out!

*Ang*
Uriel   Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:40 am GMT
I think West Country is supposed to sound very like American. I really don't see how Cockney does, though.
SpaceFlight   Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:51 am GMT
<<I think West Country is supposed to sound very like American. I really don't see how Cockney does, though.>>

Yeah, West Country is actually closer to sounding American than Cockney.
Pete   Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:36 am GMT
>><<I think West Country is supposed to sound very like American. I really don't see how Cockney does, though.>>

Yeah, West Country is actually closer to sounding American than Cockney.<<

Yes, I think so. At the beggining I was quite confused about cockney. Now the more I hear Cockney accents in the BBC, the more aware I become of how mistaken I was.

>>You say Cockney sounds like American English and sounds sexy. So I guess my friend maybe has Cockney accent. His voice sounds very sexy over the phone and he does not have very thick English accent, sounds a lil' bit like American English. It's just so complicated.<<

It's not Cockney, otherwise it wouldn't be pleasant for you to hear him speaking. I would say it's perhaps some Irish accent. That's cool and some Irish dialects are very close to American, and still sexy for some people. In England, they love Irish accents, don't you guys??

Pete
Bullettoothtony   Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:32 am GMT
All right, first of all, hardly any of the accents of England sound any close to American English. Also, you should check out some British movies, "Snatch," "Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels," "28 Days Later," "Layer Cake," you may be surprised at how different to American it sounds. Considering I can speak a pretty authentic Cockney accent plus terms. Later.