Good-bye in Spanish

Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:35 pm GMT
That sentence is not correct. It sould be: ¿Hasta cuando no se van a callar?
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
You're wrong, "hasta cuando se van a callar" means "When are you going to shut up"; "Hasta cuando no se van a callar" would be "When are you NOT going to shut up"
Sunnerb   Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 pm GMT
"Hasta otra" is perfectly okay.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:10 pm GMT
""Hasta otra" is perfectly okay."
Just in Spain, in all the other countries it makes no sense.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:11 pm GMT
Who cares other countries.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14 pm GMT
Who care about spain, ir is just a small country like all the European ones.

It's something like what happens with the US and the UK, the UK is just a small European country.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:19 pm GMT
Spain is a relatively big country to European standards, and the second most populated Spanish speaking one, thence it's not small. US on the other hand has 5 times the population of UK. Your comparison is not valid.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 pm GMT
but that's not the point, in that case Cuba is a big country for Caribbean standarts, but the reality is that it's still small, that's why they had to create the European Union cuz they knew that they were just a bunch of small countries that needed to gather together in order to stop the US.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:35 pm GMT
Yes, it's the point because you used US and UK to talk about Spain, and there is not such a big difference between Spain and the rest of the Spanish speaking countries .
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:27 am GMT
Spain is a small country, there are a couple of spanish-speaking countries that are way bigger than that, anyhow if I was learning arabic I'd learn sentances that most arabic-speaking countries would understand, not the ones that only Egyptians would say (that was just an example), the same applies to English, Spanish and pretty much any language, in other words if the British say some weird sentances and all the other english-speaking countries say it differently, you tell me what'd happen then?
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:38 am GMT
Well, it depends. If you plan to study or work in Great Britain you can just ignore American English . Probably most Spanish students would prefer to live in Spain and learn Spanish rather than in other American countries since this one has higher standard of living so it's not that strange to focus on Spanish Spanish despite it may not be the biggest country in absolute terms. In fact it's perfectly feasible that someone finds reasons to do so Anyway Spain has considerable population. With more than 45 millions it is the second most populated Spanish speaking country.
Guest   Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:11 am GMT
Published January 1, 2008 07:45 PM
China says "ni hao" to copper-rich Chile By Pav Jordan

VINA DEL MAR, Chile (Reuters) - Xiao Qiong, 28, stares intently at a group of Chilean teenagers, smiles and says with conviction: "Ni hao!"

The disheveled boys and girls in front of her post exaggerated grins and reply in raucous but near-perfect unison, "Ni hao," Mandarin for "hello."

The Beijing native, petite by comparison with many of her students, is the advance guard in China's patient push for access to South America's mineral resources.

The Mandarin classes were written into a free trade accord signed between Chile and China in 2006. While China has its eye on Chilean copper, for Chile the accord is a chance to become Latin America's gateway to the Asia-Pacific region.

Link: http://www.enn.com/business/article/28466

Video: http://www.mediascrape.com/News/ViewNewsItem.aspx?rootVideoPanelType=1&newsItemId=37714

Luna (Moon), as she calls herself in Spanish, uses song, dance and romantic tales of Chinese youth to help motivate her students at the Liceo Jose Vergara, a rough-edged public school in the shanty-clad cliffs that fringe the wealthy Pacific resort of Vina del March

"Chilean children are very free, but very lovely and very friendly," Luna, said outside the school.

EMERGING SUPERPOWER

China has been gaining an economic foothold in Latin America for about a decade, as the United States focused on other areas, establishing cultural and commercial ties in countries that supply the commodities it needs to maintain growth.

Just as it has on the African continent, China is maneuvering in Latin America to secure the raw materials it needs to build roadways, railways and even cities.

Its top trade partners in Latin America are Brazil, Argentina and Chile, major suppliers of grains and metals.

"It has managed to expand its diplomatic presence very dramatically at a time when the U.S. diplomatic presence is being reduced," said Riordan Roett, director of Latin American studies at Johns Hopkins University in Washington.

It's no surprise that China is working hard on its relationship with Chile, the world's biggest source of copper, which is used in everything from electrical wiring, plumbing, heating, air conditioning and roofing.

"They have certainly been laying the groundwork for a long-term relationship," said Alberto Canas, who overseas trade with China for the Chilean government.

FIRST IN REGION

Chile was the first country in the region to support China's entry into the World Trade Organization and the only one with a trade agreement with China.

China is poised to either match or outpace the United States as Chile's top trade partner in 2007, with around $15 billion in trade, compared with $8.5 billion last year. Chile-U.S. trade last year was worth $14.5 billion.

Analysts say China is also courting Latin America as part of its growing emphasis on so-called "south-south" diplomacy with the Group of 20 developing nations.

The students at Liceo Jose Francisco Vergara are looking to their own future.

"Getting to China is a dream I have, because that is where everything I want to learn is," said Christian Altamirano, 14, a robotics buff in a frayed T-shirt who is one of Luna's star pupils.

"I would like to go there and learn their culture, their language, and meet the people and exchange ideas and then bring that knowledge back here," he said.

Ricardo Camus, 17, another of Luna's students, sees the Mandarin program as his ticket to a more prosperous future and expects to get work as a translator as trade builds with China.

"I see my future rising before me and I want to bet on it."

The Mandarin program is still small, with about 60 students in three public schools, but education officials say they want to expand it quickly, adding at least three more schools in March.

At least 20 Chilean universities are already offering Mandarin courses, as are many private language schools.

Panama is taking similar steps and hopes to implement a Mandarin program in public schools next year. Venezuela and China expect to pen an official language exchange program in 2008.

"The world is opening up to China and we have to accept the invitation to join them," said Magali Rozas, the principal of another school where Mandarin is taught. Outside her school, in the port city of Valparaiso, cranes load goods onto ships headed for China.

(Additional reporting by Elida Moreno in Panama City and Patricia Rondon in Caracas; Editing by Eddie Evans)
Xio Wo   Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:19 pm GMT
Hi, I'm a Chinese student of Spanish What does this mean in Spanish:
"Me pica la concha" ?

Thanks in advance.
mac   Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:42 pm GMT
Why does that same person keep posting that long news article about Chile. It's kind of annoying. Ok, some students are studying Chinese, we get it. What's your point?
Guest   Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:55 pm GMT
gosh, someone delete that post please, who cares about it.